FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   JetBlue | TrueBlue (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/jetblue-trueblue-492/)
-   -   Change / Cancel fees waived 2/27 thru 3/11/2020 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/jetblue-trueblue/2010698-change-cancel-fees-waived-2-27-thru-3-11-2020-a.html)

restrictonthehanger Feb 26, 2020 6:01 pm

Change / Cancel fees waived 2/27 thru 3/11/2020

Just received an interesting email

As you know, the safety of our customers and crewmembers is always our #1 priority. With coronavirus in the headlines, we understand that customers may feel some uncertainty about booking future travel.

To that end, we are waiving change and cancellation fees for all JetBlue fares—that includes Blue, Blue Basic, Blue Plus, Blue Extra and Mint—for customers who book over the next two weeks (2/27-3/11) for travel completed by 6/1/20. If you need to cancel your travel plans, we'll credit the amount in the form of a travel credit that's valid for one year.

For more about this temporary policy, please click here.

We hope this offers you confidence when making your travel plans. Of course, we will continue to monitor the situation and keep you posted with any relevant info.

We look forward to seeing you on board again soon.

GW McLintock Feb 26, 2020 6:48 pm

It's too bad this isn't in effect for tickets already purchased, but it's very kind of them to do this at all. I wonder if other airlines will follow suit now that California is starting to freak out. A Korean Air FA who flew to and from LAX was just diagnosed with the coronavirus.

-J.

aviators99 Feb 27, 2020 9:29 am

Mosaic devaluation! :p

Cat88L3 Feb 27, 2020 9:49 am

Originally Posted by GW McLintock (Post 32116998)
It's too bad this isn't in effect for tickets already purchased, but it's very kind of them to do this at all. I wonder if other airlines will follow suit now that California is starting to freak out. A Korean Air FA who flew to and from LAX was just diagnosed with the coronavirus.

-J.

I agree. I appreciate the gesture that Jetblue is making.

dtremit Feb 27, 2020 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by GW McLintock (Post 32116998)
It's too bad this isn't in effect for tickets already purchased, but it's very kind of them to do this at all.

While it's positive for consumers, the fact that it only applies to new bookings makes me suspect it's not entirely altruistic.

My hunch is they are already seeing bookings fall off amidst the uncertainty over if and when domestic travel might be restricted.

bmg42000 Feb 27, 2020 1:43 pm

I did end up booking a flight from TPA as a result of this (my other flight is on WN). I decided to go to FL instead of YYZ (and avoid the customs)

andrewesque Feb 27, 2020 2:00 pm

Having just booked a JetBlue itinerary today (that I did indeed hesitate momentarily on because of the health situation), I'm not quite clear on one point -- if I cancel my flight after March 11, do the standard cancellation fees and policies apply?

Their specific terms state:

Rebookings are permitted during the Booking Window [2/27-3/11]; after the Booking Window, only the first rebooking will be eligible under this policy, and will be subject to the fare rules and Contract of Carriage in effect at time of this rebooking.
I read this to be that between 2/27 and 3/11 you could in theory make multiple changes or cancel the reservation with no fees; but I'm not sure what it means for changes or cancellations you make after 3/11, especially because it says that rebooking will be "subject to the fare rules and Contract of Carriage". Does this mean you are allowed 1 free change/cancellation after 3/11 (due to this policy) and any subsequent changes are charged as normal? Or something else?

(In my case it'd be a cancellation if anything, in case that matters. I'm also aware that any refund would go back as Travel Bank credit, which is not a problem for me.)

GW McLintock Feb 27, 2020 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by andrewesque (Post 32120148)
Having just booked a JetBlue itinerary today (that I did indeed hesitate momentarily on because of the health situation), I'm not quite clear on one point -- if I cancel my flight after March 11, do the standard cancellation fees and policies apply?
I read this to be that between 2/27 and 3/11 you could in theory make multiple changes or cancel the reservation with no fees; but I'm not sure what it means for changes or cancellations you make after 3/11, especially because it says that rebooking will be "subject to the fare rules and Contract of Carriage". Does this mean you are allowed 1 free change/cancellation after 3/11 (due to this policy) and any subsequent changes are charged as normal? Or something else?

(In my case it'd be a cancellation if anything, in case that matters. I'm also aware that any refund would go back as Travel Bank credit, which is not a problem for me.)

I read it the same way you do, in that changes can be made on any tickets booked during this timeframe. But you may want to call/tweet and ask.

-J.

RWPrincess Feb 28, 2020 8:15 pm

There is definitely a lot of fear in the travel community right now. I do wonder if these dates are fluid and if they might extend if needed. Lots of theme parks and public gathering spaces in Asia are also closed right now and there is also speculation they may close longer than currently stated.

I've already had a discussion with my boss about the best way to book upcoming flights in case cities go into quarantine. We will likely book with insurance just for peace of mind. I know I can get refunded anytime but if we're going to be held off from traveling for a while, I'd rather not have the cash tied up.

tphuang Feb 28, 2020 8:45 pm

even domestic travel booking is falling off a cliff starting the last couple of days due to Italy and the California cases. A lot of companies are telling employees to not even making non-essential domestic travel plan now. I got a trip a week from now booked a while back to an unaffected region and will probably have to self quarantine when I get back.

I would be very surprised if this cancel fee waiver doesn't get extended longer. This feels also like the beginning of a recession. Airlines are going to get a little more desperate to get people to buy seats.

Flying Machine Mar 1, 2020 4:34 pm

I typically post in the United forum so looking to the JetBlue posters for advice. My son goes to university in Boston he and a few of his roommates scheduled a trip to Seattle and Vancouver for spring break which starts at the end of the week. Ticket was purchased on JetBlue last month before the waiver, he also has an Airbnb and Amtrak tickets. From what I’m reading in Seattle things are starting to spread even though it’s just the beginning. I read on one of the sites that I believe the governor just declared a state of emergency. With that said how flexible you think JetBlue would be with a straight cancel, or a credit for a future flight they do fly from Boston to Los Angeles. I always book him on UA he is my million miler companion and receives my perks. Mom purchased this ticket for him and they both have zero status with JetBlue. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance

GW McLintock Mar 1, 2020 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine (Post 32130621)
I typically post in the United forum so looking to the JetBlue posters for advice. My son goes to university in Boston he and a few of his roommates scheduled a trip to Seattle and Vancouver for spring break which starts at the end of the week. Ticket was purchased on JetBlue last month before the waiver, he also has an Airbnb and Amtrak tickets. From what I’m reading in Seattle things are starting to spread even though it’s just the beginning. I read on one of the sites that I believe the governor just declared a state of emergency. With that said how flexible you think JetBlue would be with a straight cancel, or a credit for a future flight they do fly from Boston to Los Angeles. I always book him on UA he is my million miler companion and receives my perks. Mom purchased this ticket for him and they both have zero status with JetBlue. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance

I would keep a close eye on the news and jetblue.com. Additional waivers may be implemented. Alternatively, you can always call/email/chat with them and nicely ask if an exception can be made -- JetBlue seems to be especially receptive to this practice. That said, the funds may be deposited into a Travel Bank instead of an actual refund.

FWIW, I am flying to SFO on Tuesday for a meeting (long way for a meeting, I know, but it's at the airport and I get free lunch with PP :D). I did pick up a few N95-rated respirators the other day and I will bring one with me, and I'll actually wipe down my seat area (which I should do anyway) and be vigilant about what I touch and with whom I come in contact. Other than that, I have no qualms about traveling. (Of course, my opinion can change in the next day or two.)

-J.

dtremit Mar 1, 2020 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by andrewesque (Post 32120148)

I think it's a very complicated way of saying that the ticket is refundable (to your travel bank); when you spend that travel bank money, it's subject to whatever fare rules are applicable at the time.

On or before 3/11, any ticket you buy is refundable -- whether you buy it with cash or with travel bank funds from another refunded ticket. So in theory you can refund and rebook as many times as you want.

After 3/11, the waiver will in theory have expired, and your new ticket will be subject to the normal rules (or whatever new waiver is in place at that time).

(This lines up with what happened with Blue Flex fares after that option was eliminated -- you still got free bags on your original ticket, but if you rebooked it, you lost that benefit.)

djk7 Mar 4, 2020 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by GW McLintock (Post 32131068)
I would keep a close eye on the news and jetblue.com. Additional waivers may be implemented. Alternatively, you can always call/email/chat with them and nicely ask if an exception can be made -- JetBlue seems to be especially receptive to this practice. That said, the funds may be deposited into a Travel Bank instead of an actual refund.

I bought a ticket on Feb 15 for a conference starting March 16 that just got cancelled. Crossing my fingers that they extend the waiver. It's my employer's money, but I'd still like to not waste it.

RWPrincess Mar 5, 2020 10:25 am

1/3 business trips this month have been cancelled so far. Ironically it was to Seattle and I hadn't purchased my ticket yet so I lucked out.The other 2 are for conferences which so far have shown no sign of being cancelled.