Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Overnight SEA>BOS Mint, EMS, Econ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2020, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

New to the jetBlue forum, apologies if I break any rules!

Have an event on a Fri night in SEA and need to be in BUF for my father's bday on Sat. JetBlue has one of the better looking options with a flight departing 11:59PM to BOS, 3 hour layover, before onward flight to BUF. Looking for advice on Mint vs EMS vs regular economy.

I will want to sleep as much as possible, I haven't done a redeye (or jetblue flight) in years - I am mid-30s, but still like at least 6-7 hours of sleep per night. The SEA to BOS is scheduled for 5 hours, so I obvs won't get much, and I don't anticipate sleeping during the layover in BOS. While I am not going to an important work meeting, when I land I will have family stuff all day, so likely won't get to bed until pretty late and not have time for a nap/rest.

Mint suite seems like it will provide the best sleep experience, but I have only flown economy in general, so almost feels like a waste to miss out on drinks/meal/etc - because of FOMO I might give up on sleep to partake in some of that if I choose Mint...

I typically fly WN (southwest) and can sleep in just a regular seat without reclining, but it is definitely low quality sleep and I wake up and nod off somewhat frequently.

I hate feeling trapped on a plane so if I go regular economy I will get an aisle - I think I can handle a window in EMS rows 6 and 18 given the extra space.

Mint is coming in at $792, EMS in row 6 or 18 would be $344, and just regular economy is $256.

Opinions? What would you do? Does Mint justify 2-3x the cost? The BOS to BUF flight will just be normal 2x2 economy.

Thank you!!
Old Jan 16, 2020, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
The eastbound flights are always quicker so you will likely be on the plane SEA-BOS for 6 hours at the most. You could probably get a solid 4 hours of sleep on the transcon, and then BOS-BUF is really too quick for anything beyond a quick snooze.

On the redeyes, the meal is pre-set (i.e., there is a single option) and then they give you a heated bagel round thing and juice drink as a to-go breakfast.

It's up to you and how much you're willing to spend. You will not get your 6-7 hours of sleep so either get a Red Bull in BOS or make other arrangements.

I would go for row 6 on the A321. You get much more space than in row 18, but keep in mind that all personal belongings need to go in the overhead bin for takeoff and landing.

-J.
willywilkes likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I would agree on EMS for this. Mint seats require placing all carry on bags overhead as well for takeoff and landing.

Mint is a terrific front cabin product, but to get the experience you're probably better off the first time trying it at a lower fare during the day.
willywilkes likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
The eastbound flights are always quicker so you will likely be on the plane SEA-BOS for 6 hours at the most. You could probably get a solid 4 hours of sleep on the transcon, and then BOS-BUF is really too quick for anything beyond a quick snooze.

On the redeyes, the meal is pre-set (i.e., there is a single option) and then they give you a heated bagel round thing and juice drink as a to-go breakfast.

It's up to you and how much you're willing to spend. You will not get your 6-7 hours of sleep so either get a Red Bull in BOS or make other arrangements.

I would go for row 6 on the A321. You get much more space than in row 18, but keep in mind that all personal belongings need to go in the overhead bin for takeoff and landing.

-J.
Thanks - I knew I was definitely going to be short sleep, but was trying to decide if maximizing at maybe 5 hours was worth it.

For the personal belongings in overhead if I choose row 6 - I know that would obviously mean my bag, but can I read my kindle or use my ipad during takeoff or landing? I fly Southwest where something physically in your hand is okay, but I wasn't sure if this is or isn't....

Thanks!!
Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by willywilkes
Thanks - I knew I was definitely going to be short sleep, but was trying to decide if maximizing at maybe 5 hours was worth it.

For the personal belongings in overhead if I choose row 6 - I know that would obviously mean my bag, but can I read my kindle or use my ipad during takeoff or landing? I fly Southwest where something physically in your hand is okay, but I wasn't sure if this is or isn't....

Thanks!!
For seats where my actual carry-on bag has to be overhead, I use a small pouch from the dollar store that holds my Kindle, charger, phone, etc.
willywilkes likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 1:45 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver

For the personal belongings in overhead if I choose row 6 - I know that would obviously mean my bag, but can I read my kindle or use my ipad during takeoff or landing?

Thanks!!
Yes, you can have small items in your hands for take off and landing.
willywilkes and GW McLintock like this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Well I delayed, EMS seats went up to $380, Mint came down to $456, so I booked Mint!
Old Jan 21, 2020, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Well I delayed, EMS seats went up to $380, Mint came down to $456, so I booked Mint!
Enjoy. That is a great price for Mint.

-J.
willywilkes likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 3:56 pm

Programs: Free agent
That's about as cheap as Mint gets, hope you get some sleep!
Old Jan 22, 2020, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Congrats! That's a great price for Mint and you should have a terrific time. If you go to seat selection try to nab one of the solo mint seats if you can.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.