Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

B6 LGB-SMF/SJC/OAK to be discontinued

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2020, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward

LGB-SMF/SJC/OAK has been discontinued and also, reduced LAS-LGB to 3 daily RT. No longer bookable starting on April 29, 2020.

Isn't doing so good. They will shifted to LAX once MSC gates is up and running.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 12:44 pm

And OAK is shuttered completely after 20 years
Old Jan 16, 2020, 1:28 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
And OAK is shuttered completely after 20 years
The writing has been on the wall for a long time. They changed their model since they first started from operating out of secondary airports to moving to primary ones. Doesn't really make sense to keep a station open for 3-4 flights per day when SFO is a much more lucrative airport for them. OAK-LGB yields are terrible and with no chance of increasing the number of slots at LGB, it makes little sense to keep that short haul flying. SFO gets another flight from JFK/OAK/FLL for a total of 7/6/3 per day which is much better use of resources. Eventually they will get more gates at LAX and SFO and can further increase service from those two airports. In the meantime, they need the planes to defend BOS and other focus cities.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 1:32 pm

So what's the process for someone who has future OAK flights? They still show up under My Flights. Do I have to call in to re route or will the web site give me some options at some point?
Old Jan 16, 2020, 2:03 pm

Reducing West Coast flying for less antitrust scrutiny if they were to merge with Alaska?

One can dream...
cmx likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Here's the summary of what is changing in on the west coast:
  • LGB-SMF cut 4/28
  • LGB-SJC cut 4/28
  • OAK closed (JFK, BOS seasonal, LGB flights) 4/28
  • LGB-LAS reduced from 3x daily to 2x daily 4/29
  • JFK-LAS increased to 5x daily (seasonal) 4/29
  • BOS-BZN starts 2x weekly (seasonal) 6/13
  • JFK-BZN starts 3-7x weekly (seasonal) 6/11
I think closing OAK is a bad idea since, IME, they often create extra sections to OAK when SFO gets fogged out or too windy and faces heavy delays.

Up to 25 Airport Operations crewmembers (gate agents, ticket counter, BSO, etc.) will be reduced. I'm sure they're given the opportunity to relocate first, but knowing so many of them as I do, this is the worst piece of news to me.

-J.
ctbarron, Carfield and ryw like this.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
An interesting thing to note is that Spirit recently announced they would start flying FLL-OAK. I would love to see Delta or Alaska pick up the flying out of Oakland to the east coast. This could also be a good opportunity for Alaska to enter LGB, but if JetBlue can't make money there, why would Alaska? (The answer is... because they're not JetBlue )

-J.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
An interesting thing to note is that Spirit recently announced they would start flying FLL-OAK. I would love to see Delta or Alaska pick up the flying out of Oakland to the east coast. This could also be a good opportunity for Alaska to enter LGB, but if JetBlue can't make money there, why would Alaska? (The answer is... because they're not JetBlue )

-J.
Both ideas would be a very poor use of resources. AS barely has enough planes to cover its current network.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
So what's the process for someone who has future OAK flights? They still show up under My Flights. Do I have to call in to re route or will the web site give me some options at some point?
I would call to either change out of SFO or get a refund. Would be a lot quicker than waiting and you would be ahead of the other people that need to be rebooked.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
I would call to either change out of SFO or get a refund. Would be a lot quicker than waiting and you would be ahead of the other people that need to be rebooked.
Or you can leave PM to JetBlue on Facebook or Twitter. You will get refund for your flight. You can ask them that you want to get fully refund.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 8:09 pm

OAK gets closed down because every route they have out there lose money. SJC is kept around because BOS-SJC does pretty well. SMF is kept around because JFK-SMF is probably their top non-mint transcon route and BOS-SMF does well in its seasonal route.

AS would have to be pretty brave to try LGB again. LGB is just so much lower yielding than surrounding airports. AS can always do more mainline at SNA if it is looking to add capacity.

And DL is not going to try JFK-OAK. Don't be ridiculous. These secondary airport simply doesn't generate enough yield for a legacy airline. Even JFK-SJC is a hugely in the red for them red now.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by tphuang
OAK gets closed down because every route they have out there lose money. SJC is kept around because BOS-SJC does pretty well. SMF is kept around because JFK-SMF is probably their top non-mint transcon route and BOS-SMF does well in its seasonal route.

AS would have to be pretty brave to try LGB again. LGB is just so much lower yielding than surrounding airports. AS can always do more mainline at SNA if it is looking to add capacity.

And DL is not going to try JFK-OAK. Don't be ridiculous. These secondary airport simply doesn't generate enough yield for a legacy airline. Even JFK-SJC is a hugely in the red for them red now.
I'm surprised JFK-SJC doesn't do better. That route at one point was on the A321 and was usually full. Delta (relatively) recently began operating the route daily as well.

-J.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Remember they tried ATL-OAK/LGB over nearly two decades ago and they pulling out of ATL completely. They serve ATL for 6 months.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 8:55 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold, National Executive, Hertz Presidents Circle
I am curious to know what facts you have to back this up that "it's in the red."
Old Jan 16, 2020, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
As I feared, I tried calling this afternoon and spent 30 min getting nowhere. I just want an easy online rebooking but I suspect I'll have to try calling again tomorrow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.