If anyone from JetBlue reads this forum

Old Yesterday, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
If anyone from JetBlue reads this forum

Blue Basic is really annoying me. Nothing but a way to raise prices. Every fair I look at for flights that I have taken for years (same time frame), Blue Basic is what I paid before, but now I get much less. Thanks JetBlue!
Old Yesterday, 11:49 am

Programs: B6, Amtrak, DL, AA, Marriott, Hilton
Can't agree more, but seeing as how every airline has gone that way, I doubt the industry will change.

I haven't flown WN in probably 15 years, but since one of my regular routes is BOS-BWI, this might be enough to push me to switch based on who's got the better fare. It's pushing me beyond the limit of how much extra I'll pay to avoid WN.
Old Yesterday, 12:46 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, SPG LT Platinum, UA SIlver, VX eleVAte Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by Long Distance View Post
Blue Basic is really annoying me. Nothing but a way to raise prices. Every fair I look at for flights that I have taken for years (same time frame), Blue Basic is what I paid before, but now I get much less. Thanks JetBlue!
Your thanks should go to Delta who started with this way back in 2012. B6 and AS held out as long as they could but it is not realistic for them to hold out forever. At least with a revenue based program, the higher fares enable you to get Mosaic status faster.

WN is the last hold out and is always slow to react as they are so reluctant to change their model--still refusing red eyes and not able to manage seat assignments which works ok for short hops in the middle of the country but not so well when trying to feed East Coast passengers to Hawaii flights for instance. WN will be under revenue and cost pressures given the MAX delays, so they will have to do something to grow revenue with less flights as well. Just like bag fees, cutting meals, etc people complain for a bit and move on. People could have taken a stand and boycotted DL's implementation of Basic Economy but instead DL has been racking up record profits so it is unlikely they are going to change now.
Old Yesterday, 1:59 pm

Programs: Frontier Early Returns, Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue
With shrinking bathrooms and seat pitch, declining frequent flyer programs, and sky high load factors which limit rebooking opportunities in IRROPs, the only difference I'm seeing between ULCCs and the other carriers is the price. The majors are giving us the same or sometimes worse restrictions (non changeable tickets) but the prices arent ULCC level prices. I will fly Southwest for as long as they keep their customer friendly policies. I'm flying AA in February on an award ticket that someone gave me and I'm dreading it trying to avoid the new Oasis planes.
danib62 likes this.
Old Yesterday, 3:19 pm
Accor Contributor Badge 2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Delta KM, Bonvoy Gold, RHG Gold, Hilton Silver, Natonal EE, Avis PC, Greyhound Road Rewards
If anyone from JetBlue reads this, they laugh and do the opposite. Don't give them any ideas.

Originally Posted by Jerseyguy View Post
With shrinking bathrooms and seat pitch, declining frequent flyer programs, and sky high load factors which limit rebooking opportunities in IRROPs, the only difference I'm seeing between ULCCs and the other carriers is the price. The majors are giving us the same or sometimes worse restrictions (non changeable tickets) but the prices arent ULCC level prices. I will fly Southwest for as long as they keep their customer friendly policies. I'm flying AA in February on an award ticket that someone gave me and I'm dreading it trying to avoid the new Oasis planes.
I know I'm in the minority, but I flew an Oasis 737-800 LGA-MIA last summer and I thought it was perfectly fine. The tablet holder was great, and the legroom was a little tight but it wasn't so horrible. I am flying AA in June on the 737-800 and A319-100 so I'll get another look.

-J.
Old Yesterday, 3:54 pm

I fly DCA-BOS regularly and usually split my flights between B6 and DL based on fare ut this basic blue BS is pushing me to be a full time DL flyer since they now pull the same shtick, have pretty similar fares most of the time, and DL has waaaaayyyyy better capabilities during IRROPS which B6 has burned me on many times.
Old Yesterday, 4:33 pm

Programs: NZ *G
Im curious... have prices YOU charge in YOUR industry/field increased over "years"? If they have, then how can you complain about it happening elsewhere? I just don't "get" this "Fares are higher than they used to be" complaint.... at least you can (apparently) still FLY for the lower price.... What am I missing? Yes, Basic fares are what normal fares "used to be"... but are you demanding airfares NEVER change??? Or...what?
Old Yesterday, 5:30 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, SPG LT Platinum, UA SIlver, VX eleVAte Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by trooper View Post
Im curious... have prices YOU charge in YOUR industry/field increased over "years"? If they have, then how can you complain about it happening elsewhere? I just don't "get" this "Fares are higher than they used to be" complaint.... at least you can (apparently) still FLY for the lower price.... What am I missing? Yes, Basic fares are what normal fares "used to be"... but are you demanding airfares NEVER change??? Or...what?
Exactly. Fares are still $99 one way from SFO-JFK in the winter as they have been since the 1980s--despite the fact that the value of the dollar is a fraction of what is is now.
Old Today, 9:08 am

Programs: TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, AAdvantage
Yes the fare structure change and new fees may suck. But you are still getting the best legroom, free *good* Wifi, in flight entertainment and unlimited snacks/soft drinks. B6 is also retrofitting and restyling their A320s with new interiors and brand new IFE (and even better wifi) which is friggin SWEET. On top of that all the E190s will eventually be phased out for brand new A220s which will also have the new interiors and IFE. With other airlines, you're getting older planes, squeezed in like sardines, no IFE, have to pay for wifi etc.
Old Today, 11:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. Basic fares on the legacies have the same feature, e.g., they largely replaced the previous lowest fare which was non-refundable but had all the features of a standard non-refundable Y fare. This leads most people to accept the fact that it is highly profitable and that B6 is not about to reverse itself given that the options aren't great.

2. Airfares, when adjusted for COL are lower today than they were in 1984. While it may be a less pleasant experience, it is less costly and that is the primary consideration for most customers (the customer is often an employer or other third party).

I am far from a fan of B6, but that doesn't change the equation on basic fares across the domestic market.
Old Today, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by trooper View Post

What are you missing? You are MISSING the POINT.

They have used "Blue Basic" to raise fares (on flights I take) 30 - 40 percent

Old Today, 12:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What are you missing? You are MISSING the POINT.

They have used "Blue Basic" to raise fares (on flights I take) 30 - 40 percent

B6 has then made the judgment that its PRASM on your routes won't suffer. Either it is a way to get rid of undesirable seats or people will pay the premium to sit where they used to sit. Given that the same issue exists on AA, DL & UA, there is little for B6 to lose.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: