SJU TSA Security Experience

Old Dec 29, 2019, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

SJU TSA Security Experience

Flying out of SJU on New Years Eve day and trying to figure out the best strategy for clearing security., particularly since it will be a busy day.

Jet Blue is NOT on the TSA list of participating carriers for pre-check for SJU so I am not even sure if our boarding passes will reflect pre-check. Assuming they do can we clear security at the BC checkpoint which does have precheck and then get to the JetBlue Terminal A gates post security? I have searched like crazy on this and found conflicting information - some say not possible and others say it is. Ask TSA directed me to the airport website which is not helpful!

If that is not an option any experiences with the EMS experience at SJU? We do have EMS seats booked and the B6 website for SJU says they do have EMS security line there - although the EMS page does not list the airport so again conflicting info.

We are not checking bags so I would typically just plan to arrive about 60 minutes before flight time (and usually end up with too much time) but I am a little stressed with no clear - no precheck and questionable priority line situation.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
The entire airport is connected post-security so you could do that, but it's a long walk. Wear sneakers. You honestly might just be better off clearing security in A.

I can't tell you about PreCheck but I do believe there's an EMS line. I would give yourself 90 minutes at the airport to play it safe on such a busy day.

-J.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 6:59 pm

Programs: TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, AAdvantage
Ditto above - it is a long walk from the B security checkpoint to get over to the A gates. So it will pretty much offset whatever time you saved using pre-check.

I *think* there may be a priority line at the A checkpoint but its not always open. And I don't remember it being that much faster. I honestly would not worry that much. SJU is a pretty small airport, I can't see taking longer than 15-20 min to clear security. And once you do, you're only a 5 min walk to the gates.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the helpful comments!
Old Dec 30, 2019, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by BKSweetheart
I *think* there may be a priority line at the A checkpoint but its not always open. And I don't remember it being that much faster. I honestly would not worry that much. SJU is a pretty small airport, I can't see taking longer than 15-20 min to clear security. And once you do, you're only a 5 min walk to the gates.
BKSweetheart is correct. The fast track lane is part time, but it is under 3 minutes from the checkpoint to the gates (walk through the duty free shop and you're there).

Hopefully the Beagle Brigade is out in force. They are very cute

-J.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 4:42 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I know this is too late, but here's a data point. When I went through TSA at SJU a few weeks ago on a red-eye flight, the TSA Pre line was not open, but my boarding pass had TSA Pre on it, so I was given a card for PreCheck light where I didn't have to take off my shoes or belt, and could leave my laptop in the bag.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Here’s what I experienced arriving at about 5:45pm:

Fairly long line to get to TSA officer. Probably at least a 20 minute wait. There was a separate even more speed entrance to the left with no line. After shooting to the front we waited for the officer - who was also handling the regular line - to call us, but it was about 30 seconds.

She then handed us the card which allowed us the full benefits of precheck (shoes, light jackets on, laptop and liquids stay in bag) and directed us to a scanner reserved for even more speed people (both precheck and regular). There were two groups ahead of us.

Bottom line - we were through security in under 5 minutes because of the even more speed line. Without that it would have been 20-30 minutes.

I also saw no signage post-security pointing to a connection to the other terminals. So while it may be possible it is not obvious how to get to the other terminals without leaving the secure area.

Thanks again for everyone that weighed in - it helped to reduce my stress level.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by BeantownFlyer
I also saw no signage post-security pointing to a connection to the other terminals. So while it may be possible it is not obvious how to get to the other terminals without leaving the secure area.
You have to go to gates A1-3 and then it's to the left. Can't miss it.

-J.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 3:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Silver
In general, the Even More Speed line in a good backup in situations where there is a long regular or TSA line or there is no TSA PreCheck line. I've had to do this several times at ORD and it works like a charm every time. It's why I like to have Sky Priority when flying Delta as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.