Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for JetBlue to improve their product

Suggestions for JetBlue to improve their product

Old Dec 28, 19, 7:00 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,205
Suggestions for JetBlue to improve their product

Not saying that anyone will read this, but who knows. In case anyone from JetBlue customer relations or product department is reading. Things I think they can make their product better that's not too costly.

1) Offer the option to purchase food items before the flight (include hot food + whatever they already serve). This is something I find always available in Asia when I'm flying one of the ULCCs, so I would imagine it has to be profitable for them. I'm always intrigued by the aromas of hot food that people ordered in advance when they bought their ticket. This seems to me a pretty easy thing they can add without adding extra requirement to their onboard galley area. Just load it when the flight is ready and serve it when the drinks are served. I would imagine this would be very popular on those longer flights.

2) Improve service standard for EMS. Maybe this will make EMS a little more expensive to purchase, but they should add some of the things that other carriers do to make Y+ more appealing like one complimentary alcoholic beverage and one complimentary food item (maybe one they can select before the flight).

3) A fix number of confirm-able EMS upgrades for mosaic members. Not applicable to me, but seems like something simple that would make mosaic more attractive.

4) More places to earn miles and more redemption partners than just HA.
tphuang is offline  
Old Dec 29, 19, 1:39 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 509
I'm a frequent Jetblue flyer. I 've never had an option to buy food that wasn't a snack box or the cheese plate. This could be because I mostly do east coast flights that are not longer than 4 hours. I think having a couple of sandwiches /wraps as options are a good place to start - even for flights that are more than 2 hours.

I would also like to see some type of Even More Space seat perk for Jetblue Plus cardholders.
rob2507 and RWPrincess like this.
Cat88L3 is online now  
Old Dec 29, 19, 2:41 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 3,009
Airlines are remarkably sophisticated when it comes to understanding their own operations. There's no reasonable suggestion that you could make that hasn't already been considered by the folks with MBAs working at the corporate office.

I'd also add that although it sounds reasonable to serve hot food, it's really not a simple task. Just in the United States, JetBlue serves over 65 different cities. They can't just push a button and have hot food delivered to the aircraft door. They'd need a supplier in every city (assuming there's no onboard refrigeration that can hold a day's worth of food). Any miniscule profit they'd make wouldn't be worth the logistical headaches involved.
writerguyfl is offline  
Old Dec 29, 19, 7:12 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: BOS
Programs: Marriott Titanium / LTG, HHonors Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Nat'l Exec
Posts: 3,416
Originally Posted by tphuang View Post
2) Improve service standard for EMS. Maybe this will make EMS a little more expensive to purchase, but they should add some of the things that other carriers do to make Y+ more appealing like one complimentary alcoholic beverage and one complimentary food item (maybe one they can select before the flight).
I could see a complimentary food item on Mint transcons for EMS passengers being an easy add; DL does that for Comfort+.

Reserving overhead bins would be a nice touch -- a perceived enhancement at the cost of a sticker.

Originally Posted by tphuang View Post
3) A fix number of confirm-able EMS upgrades for mosaic members. Not applicable to me, but seems like something simple that would make mosaic more attractive.
I strongly suspect that B6 doesn't have the IT systems to make this work. That said, they could do a much better job of marketing the EMS-for-miles benefit.

Back when they had Blue Plus fares, I thought it would make sense to give Mosaics EMS in lieu of bags, but that fare option's gone now.

Originally Posted by tphuang View Post
4) More places to earn miles and more redemption partners than just HA.
This one seems like a no brainer given their existing relationships, and it's baffling that it hasn't happened yet.

Originally Posted by Cat88L3 View Post
I'm a frequent Jetblue flyer. I 've never had an option to buy food that wasn't a snack box or the cheese plate. This could be because I mostly do east coast flights that are not longer than 4 hours. I think having a couple of sandwiches /wraps as options are a good place to start - even for flights that are more than 2 hours.
Agree that the window for real food is too long. I've noticed people getting frustrated when they can't get a sandwich on a DFW-BOS flight.

Originally Posted by Cat88L3 View Post
I would also like to see some type of Even More Space seat perk for Jetblue Plus cardholders.
If you mean giving EMS free to cardholders, that's never going to happen. Would be a huge revenue hit for B6, and Barclays isn't going to pay for it.
Something like a free drink would be more realistic; they have the systems to do that for Vacations passengers.

Originally Posted by writerguyfl View Post
I'd also add that although it sounds reasonable to serve hot food, it's really not a simple task. Just in the United States, JetBlue serves over 65 different cities. They can't just push a button and have hot food delivered to the aircraft door. They'd need a supplier in every city (assuming there's no onboard refrigeration that can hold a day's worth of food). Any miniscule profit they'd make wouldn't be worth the logistical headaches involved.
Agreed; it's not straightforward. There's a lot of food safety considerations involved in anything hot -- it would have to either be heated from cold on the plane at time of service, or maintained at a safe holding temperature (>140F) from the minute it left the kitchen to the time it was served. I don't believe JetBlue has ovens for the former on non-Mint aircraft, and catering companies just aren't set up for the latter strategy.

There's a lot they can do to make room temperature food better, though, and I don't see much evidence they've tried that in earnest.

Just loading more food for purchase would be a good start; they always seem to run out.
dtremit is offline  
Old Dec 29, 19, 7:45 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: usa
Programs: hyatt, jet blue, united, & ba
Posts: 85
Re food, I'd be happy if they got what they promised to work correctly.

For example, the half off "buy on board" usually ends with the "buy on board" showing up as "jet blue gate retail" without any discount on my jetblue mastercard.
notthatdeadyet is offline  
Old Dec 29, 19, 8:02 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 9
Originally Posted by tphuang View Post
3) A fix number of confirm-able EMS upgrades for mosaic members. Not applicable to me, but seems like something simple that would make mosaic more attractive.
Essentially this already happens. For Mosaic, the EMS seats are a steal if purchased using miles, usually about 12 to 15 percent the equivalent cost in cash. (If I recall correctly, an upgrade that would have been about $45 in cash required about $6 worth of points for BOS to PBI.) Mosaic members get a 15,000 mile bonus annually, which B6 promotes as being for EMS upgrades, so there are essentially unlimited upgrades to EMS. I haven't flown in a regular seat in the three years I've earned Mosaic from my JetBlue card.
jdg0928 is offline  
Old Dec 29, 19, 9:47 am
  #7  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 50,270
I have the reverse view. All three legacies do a lousy job of their hot food catering in standard domestic F. Rather than trying to heat up a tiny piece of chicken and rice, I would be much happier with a selection of full-sized sandwiches and salads which can all be stored in insulated food carts or container spaces where the ovens used to be.

I don't see B6 doing any of the above because I doubt that doing any of it would increase net revenue. If it does not do so, why would B6? I presume that its marketing research shows that it won't.
Often1 is offline  
Old Dec 29, 19, 10:55 am
  #8  
Accor Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NYC
Programs: DL KM-AS MVP-B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy Gold-RHG Gold-Hilton Gold, Natl Exec-Avis PC, Greyhound Road Rewards
Posts: 7,589
Only the Mint A321s have ovens, and it's a single oven unit in the forward galley. Only the Mint-trained crewmembers are trained on oven operation.

-J.
GW McLintock is offline  
Old Dec 29, 19, 12:12 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, AA Platinum, National Executive Elite
Posts: 579
Originally Posted by jdg0928
Mosaic members get a 15,000 mile bonus annually, which B6 promotes as being for EMS upgrades, so there are essentially unlimited upgrades to EMS.
That may be true for you, but that's far from reality for the vast majority of Mosaics. A transcon flight requires 1,000-1,200 miles per EMS seat, so it's only ~7 roundtrip flights to hit 15k. Additionally, the legacies also offer free companion upgrades to EMS (& some even offer up to 8 free EMS upgrades on same PNR). At a bare minimum, I think Mosaic members (& a companion) should have EMS points refunded if EMS section doesn't fully sell out on the flight. After all, why should B6 employees traveling get free EMS upgrades when Mosaic customers are being charged for it? Since every other airline with EMS seats already gives it to their top-tier customers, it's beyond crazy that B6 doesn't. I think that's even more important now with the basic economy devaluation for Mosaics.
moulder3 is offline  
Old Dec 29, 19, 12:33 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MCO
Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Posts: 11,206
Premium cabin on all flights. Doesn't have to be lie flat like Mint, but something above EMS at the front of the plane would be nice.
cmd320 is offline  
Old Dec 29, 19, 1:58 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Atlanta Metro
Programs: DL Gold Medallion, AA, UA, BA, Hhonors Gold
Posts: 1,510
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
I have the reverse view. All three legacies do a lousy job of their hot food catering in standard domestic F. Rather than trying to heat up a tiny piece of chicken and rice, I would be much happier with a selection of full-sized sandwiches and salads which can all be stored in insulated food carts or container spaces where the ovens used to be.

I don't see B6 doing any of the above because I doubt that doing any of it would increase net revenue. If it does not do so, why would B6? I presume that its marketing research shows that it won't.
This sounds like a reasonable compromise. Then nobody has to deal with ovens and heating stuff up.
They could even deliver the sandwich components separately so that the bread doesn't get all soggy and sticky and smushed together.
hotturnip is offline  
Old Dec 29, 19, 2:12 pm
  #12  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 50,270
Originally Posted by hotturnip View Post
This sounds like a reasonable compromise. Then nobody has to deal with ovens and heating stuff up.
They could even deliver the sandwich components separately so that the bread doesn't get all soggy and sticky and smushed together.
I am not suggesting that B6 will do this. Merely a commentary on how little value there is in the standard F meal on a standard legacy domestic flight.

I do wonder what the legacies' marketing research shows about what motivates people to pay more -- and how much more, to fly F. Same thing for B6 with MINT (J).
Often1 is offline  
Old Dec 29, 19, 2:31 pm
  #13  
_fx
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: SEA
Programs: AS 75K
Posts: 410
Originally Posted by writerguyfl View Post
Airlines are remarkably sophisticated when it comes to understanding their own operations. There's no reasonable suggestion that you could make that hasn't already been considered by the folks with MBAs working at the corporate office.
I think you overestimate the skill of a bunch of people with MBAs. Large companies make strategy mistakes all the time.
roadtriper, cmd320 and CptnInc like this.
_fx is offline  
Old Dec 29, 19, 2:43 pm
  #14  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 69,204
Originally Posted by tphuang View Post
3) A fix number of confirm-able EMS upgrades for mosaic members. Not applicable to me, but seems like something simple that would make mosaic more attractive.
Originally Posted by dtremit View Post
I strongly suspect that B6 doesn't have the IT systems to make this work.
Worth noting that for the first year of the Mosaic program this was a published benefit. It mostly worked, though required calling to request and the IT associated with it was not pretty.

At this point the cheap points-based advanced EMS purchase or just ask at the airport for free options are not so awful. Especially when considering that the regular seats have nearly the same space as E+/MCE/C+.
sbm12 is offline  
Old Dec 29, 19, 3:03 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: New York
Posts: 6,683
1. JetBlue really needs to work on its website. As of this point, I still can't change or refund TrueBlue/award tickets online. The website is often offline and it is just clunky. It should not take more than 24 hours to post points on JetBlue operating flights.
2. It costs ridiculous amount of points to redeem a ticket on its partner airlines. I hope TrueBlue will post a more realistic award chart for the partner airlines. It should be easier to research on amount of points to use on your partner flights.
3. Food wise - I don't think hot food is possible, but how about changing your buy on board menu more frequently? You should change your buy on board menu every four months. I also want a pre-order option because JetBlue often runs out of fresh food on these transcontinental flights. Encourage people to pre-book these fresh items! It is a win-win for both airline and customers, when JetBlue can have a more realistic estimate of how much BOB items to board on each flight!
CptnInc likes this.
Carfield is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: