BOS expansion

Old Dec 11, 19, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

BOS expansion

https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...n-Growth-Plans

LGA 10x a day and a few additional flights to other destinations (Austin, Charlotte, Chicago, Detroit, LA, etc)
Old Dec 11, 19, 8:10 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: DL KM-AS MVP-B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy Gold-RHG Gold-Hilton Gold, Natl Exec-Avis PC, Greyhound Road Rewards
I think LGA is a big mistake. Unless they can implement the flexibility of the AA and Delta shuttles (decreased check-in and door closure times, more lenient flight changes, etc.), it will not appeal to business travelers, especially those who have been taking Delta or AA for years (or even US Airways back in the day when "shuttle" meant something). With the Blue Basic devaluations for Mosaic and JetBlue's inferior reliability, I don't see anyone jumping ship from the legacies.

The other cities are certainly interesting, but not unexpected. I am very eager to see the additional flights to SJC, and PHX. Too bad it isn't from JFK.

-J.
Traveler_boy_25 likes this.
Old Dec 12, 19, 7:44 am

Programs: B6, UA, DL
This rocks... who knew B6 would come this far in Boston. I signed up with TrueBlue 14 years ago in 2005 and have always been a happy customer. Other airlines have alienated Boston flyers for so long (no I don't want to change planes in ATL, nor CLT, nor PHL, nor ORD), once B6 implemented Mint that really sealed the deal. B6 doesn't fly everywhere, but for those long flights its a great opportunity to use those points on Mint. I know many friends (especially ones with kids) who have said they will only fly JetBlue because they fly nonstop to everywhere they need to go, and the TVs at every seat is a godsend flying with kids.
moulder3 likes this.
Old Dec 16, 19, 8:30 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium / LTG, HHonors Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by GW McLintock View Post
I think LGA is a big mistake. Unless they can implement the flexibility of the AA and Delta shuttles (decreased check-in and door closure times, more lenient flight changes, etc.), it will not appeal to business travelers, especially those who have been taking Delta or AA for years (or even US Airways back in the day when "shuttle" meant something).
This isn't new service (though the press release isn't that clear) -- they're just increasing from 6x daily to 10x.

I can't speak to DL because I haven't taken their shuttle service in years, but the differentiation in AA's shuttle product has been reduced to the point of being meaningless. AFAIK any flight change leniency is long gone, and the difference between AA shuttle check-in and B6 standard check-in is only ten minutes. And B6 has the MAT at LGA now, which is a big plus.

They could learn some lessons from their competitors on gate assignment, though; walking past a Syracuse-bound E190 at C26 to catch a "shuttle" flight at C32 is annoying.
Old Dec 16, 19, 8:45 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: DL KM-AS MVP-B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy Gold-RHG Gold-Hilton Gold, Natl Exec-Avis PC, Greyhound Road Rewards
Originally Posted by dtremit View Post
This isn't new service (though the press release isn't that clear) -- they're just increasing from 6x daily to 10x.

I can't speak to DL because I haven't taken their shuttle service in years, but the differentiation in AA's shuttle product has been reduced to the point of being meaningless. AFAIK any flight change leniency is long gone, and the difference between AA shuttle check-in and B6 standard check-in is only ten minutes. And B6 has the MAT at LGA now, which is a big plus.

They could learn some lessons from their competitors on gate assignment, though; walking past a Syracuse-bound E190 at C26 to catch a "shuttle" flight at C32 is annoying.
I know... even now most of the shuttles are empty. I guess they are hoping that by having extra flights, it will appeal more.

In Boston, the LGA flights always used to be out of C11 or C12... I felt that was a big benefit. It's disappointing that it appears to no longer be the case.

-J.
Old Dec 16, 19, 9:32 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium / LTG, HHonors Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by GW McLintock View Post
In Boston, the LGA flights always used to be out of C11 or C12... I felt that was a big benefit. It's disappointing that it appears to no longer be the case.
They might still be -- my "shuttle" flying is almost exclusively to DCA.
Sallycat likes this.
Old Dec 17, 19, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
They already added second daily BOS-PHX in June 2020. I knows this route has done very well. But there is no second daily PHX-JFK or FLL yet.
Old Dec 23, 19, 7:16 am

This has now been loaded in. Schedule to lga looks much better but imo could use another early morning, mid day and late afternoon departure.

They also have an improved schedule to ewr which also looks competitive to us schedule, but could use another early morning and afternoon departure.

Aus schedule looks much better with that early morning departure from aus.

Still waiting for them to load in frequency increases to phl CLT ord and dtw. That might be for next schedule extension.
Old Dec 24, 19, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by tphuang View Post
This has now been loaded in. Schedule to lga looks much better but imo could use another early morning, mid day and late afternoon departure.

They also have an improved schedule to ewr which also looks competitive to us schedule, but could use another early morning and afternoon departure.

Aus schedule looks much better with that early morning departure from aus.

Still waiting for them to load in frequency increases to phl CLT ord and dtw. That might be for next schedule extension.
Yes, that will be next schedule extension for Fall 2020 to Winter 2020. Subject to change.
Old Dec 25, 19, 9:30 am
Accor Contributor Badge

I am shocked that they are adding a daytime BOS-PHX. Of course it makes sense schedule-wise, but they will now have to hire several people to cover this one flight. For a supposed low-cost carrier, that doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

-J.
Old Dec 25, 19, 12:12 pm

I'm thinking that long term PHX will be a mint station with 2x daily from JFK/BOS, so it's probably worth it to get some people for daytime flight.
Old Dec 25, 19, 4:18 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by tphuang View Post
I'm thinking that long term PHX will be a mint station with 2x daily from JFK/BOS, so it's probably worth it to get some people for daytime flight.
I doubt Phoenix will ever go Mint. There just isn't enough premium demand. A surprisingly high percentage of the customers connect from the Middle East (EK and QR). It would also require a caterer in a new city.

I expect SJC to go Mint eventually. HDN could definitely support the seasonal premium traffic, but I don't know how well it would work logistically with regard to catering, not to mention the shorter flight time.

-J.
Old Dec 31, 19, 2:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Silver, D23 Charter Member, JetBlue Mosaic, Southwest A-List
Originally Posted by dtremit View Post
And B6 has the MAT at LGA now, which is a big plus.
Even thought the MAT is awesome, the biggest issue continues to be security. On my most recent flight, the TSA PreCheck line was closed late morning. I've seen this early AM as well when pretty much every gate is full. This is a huge deterrent to business travelers especially when there is no Mosaic/Even More Speed lane too. Most airports have a separate line for premium travelers that can serve as a backup in cases when the TSA PreCheck line is not functional.
Sallycat likes this.
Old Jan 1, 20, 6:14 am

Location: Box Three Five Oh, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Anecdotal info, of course, but on my wife's recent westcoast roundtrip, she left and returned out of gates that we would both consider to be in Terminal E. Same gate we used for Icelandair recently and then the one next to it. If it matters, the westbound flight was at 5:30AM and the eastbound was a redeye landing just after 4AM. Perhaps the equipment was coming/going International before/after?

Easier to pick her up at E than C, so I had that going for me, which was nice
Old Jan 2, 20, 6:57 am

Programs: B6, Amtrak, DL, AA, Marriott, Hilton
Assuming the above was in BOS, it seems like B6 is getting good use out of the three "swing" gates which can operate as either C or E gates (E1-3 or C5-7). I'm assuming it was one of those gates? Even on the Sunday before Christmas, when I was wandering over there before a 7 AM flight, all three of those gates were marked as having B6 flights as their next outbounds.

C5/E3 does end up being a long trek to the B6 baggage claim and/or check in at least by BOS standards (which means it's still probably shorter than many large airports!).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: