Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

JetBlue Confirmed Lost Bag February 2019 - Still no reimbursement

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JetBlue Confirmed Lost Bag February 2019 - Still no reimbursement

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2019, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Angry JetBlue Confirmed Lost Bag February 2019 - Still no reimbursement

My son arrived at JFK on JetBlue in February 2019 and his baggage did not arrive. JetBlue confirmed the bag was scanned at SeaTac airport and did not arrive or was not scanned at JFK. They asked him to give them a list of items and their approximate costs for those items and promised to reimburse him. We have contacted them every month since last February and the person in charge of his case promises every time to issue him the check for reimbursement immediately. He continues to not be paid. Does anyone have any ideas about how to finally get paid? Is their strategy continue to promise something they have no desire to deliver on in the hopes the person will give up trying?
Old Dec 10, 2019, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Lorrie Fecker Shamarin
My son arrived at JFK on JetBlue in February 2019 and his baggage did not arrive. JetBlue confirmed the bag was scanned at SeaTac airport and did not arrive or was not scanned at JFK. They asked him to give them a list of items and their approximate costs for those items and promised to reimburse him. We have contacted them every month since last February and the person in charge of his case promises every time to issue him the check for reimbursement immediately. He continues to not be paid. Does anyone have any ideas about how to finally get paid? Is their strategy continue to promise something they have no desire to deliver on in the hopes the person will give up trying?
Did he file a missing bag report at the airport?
Old Dec 10, 2019, 11:21 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Your son might want to consider filing a claim in small claims court in NY. Instructions for doing so can be found here. The likely outcome is that JetBlue will not want to bother sending an attorney to the proceedings and will settle with you. If the facts are as you state them, it seems like your son probably has a reasonably strong case. You could also first try sending JetBlue a certified letter addressed to their general counsel demanding payment within X days for your loss or explain that you will be forced to pursue all legal remedies available to you under NYS law.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Yes. This is the thing that is so frustrating. He has done all the things correctly and they keep telling him they will issue the reimbursement and haven't done it. He has emails from them confirming it was their fault, the bag was for sure lost by them and they will reimburse him.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Your son might want to consider filing a claim in small claims court in NY. Instructions for doing so can be found here. The likely outcome is that JetBlue will not want to bother sending an attorney to the proceedings and will settle with you. If the facts are as you state them, it seems like your son probably has a reasonably strong case. You could also first try sending JetBlue a certified letter addressed to their general counsel demanding payment within X days for your loss or explain that you will be forced to pursue all legal remedies available to you under NYS law.
That's exactly what I was going to suggest. JetBlue will push this off as long as they can. Also demand to be paid in cash or check, and not a Travel Bank voucher... not sure if that's a thing but it would not surprise me in the least if they tried to do that.

-J.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
That's exactly what I was going to suggest. JetBlue will push this off as long as they can. Also demand to be paid in cash or check, and not a Travel Bank voucher... not sure if that's a thing but it would not surprise me in the least if they tried to do that.

-J.
Thanks everyone. He is calling today, telling them he is recording the conversation and that they have until January 1st to get him the check. If not, he will move things to a small claims court in New York.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 10:13 pm

It does not seem right that you need to file suit if they don't pay up by Jan 1. Lost baggage is regulated by the DOT. It seems like they should be able to help.
https://www.transportation.gov/lost-...amaged-baggage
Old Dec 11, 2019, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by aviators99
It does not seem right that you need to file suit if they don't pay up by Jan 1. Lost baggage is regulated by the DOT. It seems like they should be able to help.
https://www.transportation.gov/lost-...amaged-baggage
I would use this to the OP's advantage.

Although certain items were lost, the bag itself of course had inherent value, you may have paid a fee for the bag or a higher fare for the sole purpose of including a free checked bag, and you should valuate time spent trying to work with JetBlue.

• The maximum liability amount of $3,500 is set by a regulation.
I don't know how much you are claiming, but if you do end up going to small claims court, I would try to get as close to this figure as possible.

I read an article not too long ago about a man who was kicked off a flight, and sued for some ridiculous amount in small claims court. JetBlue never showed up and he was actually awarded the full amount he was seeking. It took a strongly-worded letter from an attorney to actually get paid, but he got his check.

-J.
RWPrincess likes this.

Last edited by GW McLintock; Dec 12, 2019 at 3:11 pm Reason: Added link
Old Dec 24, 2019, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Any update on this? I'm genuinely interested in seeing how this plays out.

-J.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 2:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Silver
I'm late to the party here but totally agree about filing a claim in Small Claims Court. It's fairly simple and effective because corporate lawyers hate it. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 6:19 am

Programs: American Express Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Originally Posted by RWPrincess
I'm late to the party here but totally agree about filing a claim in Small Claims Court. It's fairly simple and effective because corporate lawyers hate it. Good luck and keep us posted.
Wow. Yet another instance of not only awful but in this case it is illegal withholding of just compensation for an error that is 100% JetBlue’s fault. They lost one of our bags a couple years ago and issued a check promptly. Something has gone very wrong at this airline.
RWPrincess likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.