Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

EMS seat change - charge and refund

Old Dec 8, 19, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium / LTG, HHonors Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Nat'l Exec

OK, for once something I thought was the app being broken is actually just the app working in a weird way.

I've noticed recently that if I buy an EMS seat, and then go to change it, I'm prompted to pay for it again. The last time I tried this, I was trying to snag an aisle seat at T-24, and since I thought I was being double charged, I called to have the Mosaic line do it. By the time they did, I'd lost the seat.

Today I ran into the same issue again (albeit not at T-24); since it was the last aisle seat left on my flight, I decided I'd grab it and figure out the refund later.

Turns out that at the end of the purchase flow, it processes as a refund of your previous seat payment and a charge of the new one, at a net cost of 0 points / $0.

This has either changed, or I've only previously done it successfully as part of the check-in flow. But worth noting that for once, it's not an error, and works in the end.
AutoSlash and RWPrincess like this.
Old Dec 8, 19, 2:28 pm
Company Representative - Autoslash

Thanks for the clarification. I'd been confused by this in the past and I called in to make the change. Glad to know it gets sorted out at checkout. Going forward, one less thing to have to talk to a human about.
Old Dec 9, 19, 11:09 am

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
Interesting. I flew today, and when I tried to change my seat, the other EMS seats all showed $0.00. (I had paid for the original EMS seat before)
Old Dec 11, 19, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by diburning View Post
Interesting. I flew today, and when I tried to change my seat, the other EMS seats all showed $0.00. (I had paid for the original EMS seat before)
Did you try to change the seat before, during, or after checking in?
Old Dec 11, 19, 1:48 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, BA, CO, UA, US, B6, DL, Amex MR, HH
Could also depend on if the EMS seat was originally purchased with the original itinerary or as an add-on after booking.

As a data point, I had an EMS that was originally booked (with points) on the initial itinerary, and on check-in all the other EMS seats were showing $0.
Old Dec 11, 19, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dinosims View Post
Could also depend on if the EMS seat was originally purchased with the original itinerary or as an add-on after booking.

As a data point, I had an EMS that was originally booked (with points) on the initial itinerary, and on check-in all the other EMS seats were showing $0.
In my particular case, they've all been seats booked as part of the original purchase transaction, and I've seen both behaviors.

I *think* the difference is whether you change the seat via Manage My Trip versus doing so as part of the check-in process
Old Dec 12, 19, 3:37 am

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
Originally Posted by dtremit View Post
Did you try to change the seat before, during, or after checking in?
Yes, yes, and yes, it showed $0 every time. But, EMS was purchased after the flight was booked and not during the booking process.

I treat my EMS purchases like a gamble where I may have an empty middle if the flight isn't full. I check the seat map every now and then in case someone picks the seat next to me and I want to move to a vacant pair.
Old Dec 16, 19, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by diburning View Post
Yes, yes, and yes, it showed $0 every time. But, EMS was purchased after the flight was booked and not during the booking process.

I treat my EMS purchases like a gamble where I may have an empty middle if the flight isn't full. I check the seat map every now and then in case someone picks the seat next to me and I want to move to a vacant pair.
Interesting. Well, there goes my theory. (And I totally do the same thing.)

I'm realizing now that both of the times when it's appeared to try to charge me, it's been a move from a window to an aisle. The price wasn't different on these flights, but I *think* I've seen flights where it has been different. So maybe that triggers a "refund of window, purchase of aisle" workflow in the system even when the price is the same...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: