Destination Discussion

Old Nov 30, 19, 8:22 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: DL KM, Bonvoy Gold, RHG Gold, Accor Silver, Hilton Silver, Natl EE, Avis PC, Greyhound RR
Originally Posted by BKSweetheart View Post
They actually already pulled out of JFK-CLT since the end of Oct. You can still get there but you have to connect in BOS. I was tracking that because I have some family in Charlotte I had been meaning to visit for the longest. So I made sure I went down before they ended the nonstop route.

If it was just me traveling, I wouldn’t mind dealing with a layover in BOS but traveling with a small child = no bueno.
Oh wow, I thought it was next year. That sucks, but it wasn't an especially profitable route.

-J.
Old Dec 2, 19, 3:18 am

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
Originally Posted by GW McLintock View Post
I don't know if I'd call it an attack with a single BOS/JFK from IAH and a single BOS from DFW. They have avoided MIA altogether. They are actually pulling JFK from CLT next year in favor of more BOS frequencies, though I think less of that traffic is O&D versus Texas.

-J.
That's my point. IAH and DFW are half-hearted attempts to serve those cities, but they do occasionally do hub attacks where they run a fare sale that the incumbent hub carrier has to match.

As far as JFK goes, they are slot restricted and really have to juggle routes around to favor the more profitable ones.
Old Dec 2, 19, 5:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Silver, D23 Charter Member, JetBlue Mosaic
I'm still waiting for ORD or even MDW to become a Midwest focus city or mini focus city. I would honestly have preferred to have seen this before Europe. I think they are long past due to bring back ORD-LGB service. It's beyond frustrating that one cannot fly to the West Coast from the Midwest on B6. This is 2019 not 2009. I'm pretty sure the demand is there now.

Count me in as wanting JFK-BNA service as well. I did the BOS thing last month and of course connection was delayed and I missed out on a new client dinner. Thanks but no thanks. I'll take WN next time 90 min nonstop from LGA.
Old Dec 2, 19, 11:21 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: DL KM, Bonvoy Gold, RHG Gold, Accor Silver, Hilton Silver, Natl EE, Avis PC, Greyhound RR
Originally Posted by RWPrincess View Post
I'm still waiting for ORD or even MDW to become a Midwest focus city or mini focus city. I would honestly have preferred to have seen this before Europe. I think they are long past due to bring back ORD-LGB service. It's beyond frustrating that one cannot fly to the West Coast from the Midwest on B6. This is 2019 not 2009. I'm pretty sure the demand is there now.
Chicago will never happen. It is a fortress hub for AA, UA and WN. JetBlue will not waste money trying to cut into there.

-J.
MSYtoJFKagain likes this.
Old Dec 3, 19, 1:46 am

2019 Secret Santa

Well, CLE and PIT certainly have plenty of gate space.
Old Dec 3, 19, 8:13 am

Once they get A220s into service, I think you will see more service to IAH/DFW from at least BOS. It's the ideal aircraft to serve those places. All these legacy fortress hubs are tough places where A320/E90 are quite uncompetitive, A220 have the best economics to make them work. They've now added frequency on DTW, SEA, PHX, LAX, SJC, SFO recently. They probably need to get to 3 flights a day on IAH and 4 flights a day to DFW to be somewhat competitive.

ORD focus city will never happen. I would love to see build up in either CLE or PIT. Both have plenty of gate space, no overwhelming legacies or WN presence. They are not attractive like AUS or RDU, but attractive places are getting too much competition.

As for new destinations, at some point they need to fly to these domestic destinations. BOS needs it
IND
CMH
STL
MKE
SDF
MEM
CVG
MCI
i don't know how long that will take, but these are all missing dots from their BOS map.

And in Latin America, they still need to think about these places from JFK/FLL.
PTY
SAL
GUA
GRU
GIG
Old Dec 3, 19, 8:56 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by tphuang View Post
Once they get A220s into service, I think you will see more service to IAH/DFW from at least BOS. It's the ideal aircraft to serve those places. All these legacy fortress hubs are tough places where A320/E90 are quite uncompetitive, A220 have the best economics to make them work. They've now added frequency on DTW, SEA, PHX, LAX, SJC, SFO recently. They probably need to get to 3 flights a day on IAH and 4 flights a day to DFW to be somewhat competitive.

ORD focus city will never happen. I would love to see build up in either CLE or PIT. Both have plenty of gate space, no overwhelming legacies or WN presence. They are not attractive like AUS or RDU, but attractive places are getting too much competition.

As for new destinations, at some point they need to fly to these domestic destinations. BOS needs it
IND
CMH
STL
MKE
SDF
MEM
CVG
MCI
i don't know how long that will take, but these are all missing dots from their BOS map.

PTY
SAL
GUA
GRU
GIG
Those are some interesting points, but I don't see why the A220 will make such a difference. It will have 140 seats -- only 10 fewer than the pre-refurb A320. Sure it'll be at a lower CASM, but that's still a LOT of capacity to fill, especially in cities where >75% of the local traffic is loyal to another airline, and the rest of them often go to Spirit, Frontier, or Southwest. PHX is still only one flight from each hub a day... SJC is the same except LGB which is down from 3 to 2 daily, and even then sometimes they're only half full. I don't think LGB has a big future for JetBlue. Can it work on a more efficient plane with 10 fewer seats? We'll see, but I don't think LGB has a big future for JetBlue.

IND and CVG are on their radar, but the demand hasn't been strong enough up to this point to justify a flight, at least in their minds. I think your Latin America predictions are right on the money

-J.
Old Dec 3, 19, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by tphuang View Post
PTY
SAL
GUA
GRU
GIG
I think they have wait for A321neo or A321LR. They will fly from FLL to EZE, FOR, MAO, GRU, GIG, or SCL. Right now, they do not have enough aircraft availability.
Old Dec 3, 19, 5:32 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Those are some interesting points, but I don't see why the A220 will make such a difference. It will have 140 seats -- only 10 fewer than the pre-refurb A320. Sure it'll be at a lower CASM, but that's still a LOT of capacity to fill, especially in cities where >75% of the local traffic is loyal to another airline, and the rest of them often go to Spirit, Frontier, or Southwest. PHX is still only one flight from each hub a day... SJC is the same except LGB which is down from 3 to 2 daily, and even then sometimes they're only half full. I don't think LGB has a big future for JetBlue. Can it work on a more efficient plane with 10 fewer seats? We'll see, but I don't think LGB has a big future for JetBlue.
The absolute trip cost on the A220-300 is less than the E190. So, they don't have to fill those 40 extra seats. On the other hand, they could fill those 40 extra seats with the ULCC crowd by undercutting their fares. If demand picks up to the point where they can fill those 40 seats with regular fares or better, they'll do great. So, in theory, JetBlue can't really lose by replacing the E190s with the A220-300s even at a 1:1 swap.
Old Yesterday, 8:45 pm

IND and CVG are on their radar, but the demand hasn't been strong enough up to this point to justify a flight, at least in their minds. I think your Latin America predictions are right on the money

-J.
So they have quite a few routes like BOS-ATL where they use a mix of A320/E90. Let's say they go from 2 A320 + 3 E90s to 4 A220s + 1 E90. That's the same capacity, but a huge drop in CASM. The CASM for A220 is probably 20% lower than A320 and 40% lower than E90. A lot of tough routes out of BOS like ATL/MSP/BWI/DFW/IAH are going to come close to breaking even with A220.

And for all the cost cutting they'v been doing, A220 is going to be great for the customers.

PHX is going up to 2x daily next summer out of BOS. Same with SJC.

Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
I think they have wait for A321neo or A321LR. They will fly from FLL to EZE, FOR, MAO, GRU, GIG, or SCL. Right now, they do not have enough aircraft availability.
yeah, a lot of these are for when the get A321LR or hopefully A222XLR. I think they are probably reserving all the LR/XLR for TATL service.

Search this Thread