FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   JetBlue | TrueBlue (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/jetblue-trueblue-492/)
-   -   Jetblue blue basic strips Mosiac benefits (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/jetblue-trueblue/1995179-jetblue-blue-basic-strips-mosiac-benefits.html)

Tilto007 Nov 12, 2019 6:05 am

New Jetblue basic economy fares

In addition to Blue and Blue Plus, we are introducing two new fares: Blue Basic, for those who have firm plans and are looking for the lowest fare, and Blue Extra, for those who need flexibility and speed.

This will be a welcome change for those who have firm plans.Mosaic will not get many benefits under these new fares but it still can make sense for those with firm plans.

shaker58 Nov 12, 2019 6:13 am

Jetblue blue basic strips Mosiac benefits

Just got email from Jetblue and seems they will be adding 2 new levels of fares. The blue basic takes away all benefits of Mosiac except the 2 bags per person. No cancellations, no changes no seat selection.

Change is in the air, and since you're a valued Mosaic member, we wanted to give you a heads-up that we've revamped our fare options to offer more choices and better meet the different travel styles and priorities of our customers, including you.

In addition to Blue and Blue Plus, we are introducing two new fares: Blue Basic, for those who have firm plans and are looking for the lowest fare, and Blue Extra, for those who need flexibility and speed.

No matter which fare you book, you'll still enjoy the award-winning JetBlue experience you've come to expect, including the most legroom in coach1, free brand-name snacks + drinks, and free high-speed wi-fi, DIRECTV® and movies at every seat2. You'll also be able to bring one full-sized carry-on bag (space permitting) and one personal item at no extra charge. And, as a valued Mosaic member, you (and eligible travel companions) still get the first two checked bags for free.

For your convenience, you'll find a comparison below. Of course, you'll still be able to select Mint, our refreshing take on premium travel, on select coast-to-coast and Caribbean routes.

https://static.cdn.responsys.net/i5/...ges/spacer.gif

dw Nov 12, 2019 6:34 am

The below is unexpected; kind of like how points redemption on Amtrak can’t be for Saver fares, so in effect it’s a bit of a devaluation because you have to fare up to redeem points.

Can I purchase a Blue Basic fare with TrueBlue points?
You cannot redeem TrueBlue points for a Blue Basic fare or for a Blue Basic advance seat selection fee, but you can redeem them for Blue, Blue Plus, Blue Extra and Mint fares, as well as toward the air portion of a JetBlue Vacations package.

AutoSlash Nov 12, 2019 6:36 am

This change really sucks for Mosaics and imho it shows how little JetBlue values their Mosaic customers. I will think twice before spending the money to re-qualify for the program in the future.

One thing that is really strange (having nothing to do with Mosaic) is that in every category except checked bags, Blue Extra is better than Blue Plus. It puzzles me why they would include a free checked bag with Blue Plus and not with Blue Extra. Anyone have any theories? Maybe this was a mistake?

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...c1f9ec1698.png

dw Nov 12, 2019 6:44 am

Originally Posted by AutoSlash (Post 31728272)
One thing that is really strange (having nothing to do with Mosaic) is that in every category except checked bags, Blue Extra is better than Blue Plus. It puzzles me why they would include a free checked bag with Blue Plus and not with Blue Extra. Anyone have any theories? Maybe this was a mistake?

According to TPG, Blue Plus will only be available on select international routes going forward. So in essence, on domestic flights, no more pre-paid discount for checked bags.

Often1 Nov 12, 2019 6:55 am

Meh. Clickbait thread title. This is not a change from current practice for current fares. All that happens is that B6 will now offer a fare basis which a customer may voluntarily choose.

That fare basis is roughly no different than the basic fares offered by AA, AS, DL, and UA, e.g. it is inflexible and does not carry a seat assignment.

These fares generally represent poor value, even for those who believe that they have fixed plans because problems sometimes arise. But, they are a way to save a bit of money if you are willing to accept that you will likely be in a middle seat and may well not have any OH space by the time you board.

As a regular passenger, think twice before booking these fares. As a Mosaic, think a third time. But, "stripped"?? Not.

MSYtoJFKagain Nov 12, 2019 6:58 am

This took longer than expected.

AutoSlash Nov 12, 2019 7:01 am

Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain (Post 31728368)
This took longer than expected.

Jetblue introducing Basic Economy fares or Often1 commenting on the thread title? :D

MSYtoJFKagain Nov 12, 2019 7:02 am

A little of column A, a little of column B. :)

Nick Johnson Nov 12, 2019 7:02 am

3X more points

Correct me if I'm wrong, but fundamentally the change is that you can no longer purchase the lowest fair with points. You are now forced to use 3X more points for any of the fair options.

AutoSlash Nov 12, 2019 7:05 am

Originally Posted by Nick Johnson (Post 31728385)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but fundamentally the change is that you can no longer purchase the lowest fair with points. You are now forced to use 3X more points for any of the fair options.

No, you are confusing the cost in points with points accrual. I would assume that the Basic fares would be available for a lower number of points than the standard Blue fares in most cases.

amejr999 Nov 12, 2019 7:10 am

Are there actually any basic fares published? I searched a bunch of routes and didn't see any.

Jimval26 Nov 12, 2019 7:15 am

Just what we need. More choices to confuse everyone. I just looked at the website and see only two fares Blue and Blue Extra. Blue Basic and Blue Plus are missing.

Nick Johnson Nov 12, 2019 7:15 am

Originally Posted by AutoSlash (Post 31728391)
No, you are confusing the cost in points with points accrual. I would assume that the Basic fares would be available for a lower number of points than the standard Blue fares in most cases.

Hmm ok... I read a post from another thread (I can't add the link) in this forum that appears to quote an FAQ (but I can't find it anywhere on JB)

Can I purchase a Blue Basic fare with TrueBlue points?
You cannot redeem TrueBlue points for a Blue Basic fare or for a Blue Basic advance seat selection fee, but you can redeem them for Blue, Blue Plus, Blue Extra and Mint fares, as well as toward the air portion of a JetBlue Vacations package.

octr202 Nov 12, 2019 7:24 am

Originally Posted by Jimval26 (Post 31728420)
Just what we need. More choices to confuse everyone. I just looked at the website and see only two fares Blue and Blue Extra. Blue Basic and Blue Plus are missing.

Yeah, that threw me as well until I started reading the two threads on here. Basically, doing away with Blue Plus (I guess to ensure that anyone paying for a checked bag is paying the full bag fee?) on domestic flights. Check a bag, pay up.

Definitely a negative for anyone who wants/needs to check, but considering any other airline but WN does this to you it's not surprising, and with WN's cutbacks in the northeast flying them comes at other costs.