Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Bag fee and Connection (Mint to coach)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2019, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium

Searched, but couldn't find this situation addressed specifically. Any experience with showing up for a Mint flight, or first segment with bag included, but second segment is on a zero-bag fare. Do the agents collect a fee for the second segment check through, stating that otherwise the passenger must collect the bag at the intermediate airport? Or is it that the first segment's baggage allowance carries through on connections?
Old Oct 9, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, AAdvantage
I am not certain how you have two different bag allowances on the same journey. How did you book your ticket? Would need to know: 1) Did you book the segments separately? 2) Is the second leg on an OAL?
Old Oct 9, 2019, 4:14 pm

Did this last year ... couldn't book as a through fare because of too long of a connection (4 minutes over max) and when checking in for the Mint leg the bags were checked straight through (SFO checkin). However we flew home out of BQN (which is a small outstation with contract employees at the counter) and we paid for the bag fee to head home (economy as first leg, connecting to mint).

You might have better luck depending on where you are flying from on the econ leg.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Thanks for the replies. I was thinking of SEA - JFK in Mint and a separate ticket (can't buy mixed itineraries) JFK - ACK on a zero-bag fare. I would expect them to notice a bag-less fare in a reverse situation, but won't be flying back out of ACK.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 12:40 pm

Programs: Free agent
I would be shocked if they didn't just send your bag through.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 12:20 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Agents can through-check your bag. Not all agents know how to do it, but it's definitely something that a supervisor can do if the agent doesn't know how. Since you're flying out of an airport with Mint service, I'm sure the agents will know how to do it.
MSYtoJFKagain likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by diburning
Agents can through-check your bag. Not all agents know how to do it, but it's definitely something that a supervisor can do if the agent doesn't know how. Since you're flying out of an airport with Mint service, I'm sure the agents will know how to do it.
Yes, they can check it through, but my question was whether they catch that the second segment is on a zero-bag fare?
Old Oct 11, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I don't think they care about it whether they catch it or not. You're traveling with a baggage allowance on a Mint ticket, and they know that you couldn't have booked both on one ticket anyway.

If someone had two separate tickets each with no baggage allowance, most gate agents can through-check and only collect one bag fee.
Points Scrounger likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.