Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

How early to get to JFK for evening flight in Mint?

Old Oct 7, 19, 12:50 pm
mhy
Original Poster

Programs: JL / OW Sapphire, Hilton Gold

Hello, first time poster in the JetBlue forum. I have taken several flights with JetBlue in the past and found it to be consistently excellent. Even on the super-quick JFK to Buffalo flight I remember getting a snack and a drink! I am going to the West Coast in a few weeks and managed to snag a sub-$1000 round trip in Mint.

Question: Since there is no lounge, how early should I aim to arrive at JFK? The departure time is around 6pm on a Friday. I have TSA Pre and I will not have any bags. Do Mint get expedited security or is it just going to be the Pre line for me?

Thank you all

Last edited by mhy; Oct 7, 19 at 1:59 pm
Old Oct 7, 19, 2:01 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic
There are plenty of good food and drink options in T5, I usually arrive with a 30 minute pre-boarding time buffer and grab a quick bite.

There is dedicated check-in (To the left of the security line near the bag drop) but no dedicated security line, I believe you get Even More Speed which is a slight help. Stick with the PreCheck line.

I'd worry more about the traffic getting out to JFK during rush hour than the curbside->airside wait.
Old Oct 7, 19, 3:41 pm

I usually allow more like an hour of buffer time because the traffic to the airport is so inconsistent. It’s just not worth worrying during the Uber trip. Sometimes because of congestion the last half mile to the terminal (when you are already on the airport property) can add an extra 15 minutes to travel time.

You will have something reasonably good to eat on Mint, but it won’t arrive for at least 1.5 hours after takeoff. I find Mint drink and dinner service to be very slow. So if you do choose to eat something before the flight in T5, I recommend avoiding the sit-down restaurants unless you have heaps of time. I’ve waited 10 minutes just to get my order taken and another 20 minutes for the food to arrive in those restaurants!
Old Oct 7, 19, 4:08 pm
Company Representative - Autoslash

The TSA Pre line is way faster then the expedited line in almost all cases. Don't even bother with expedited.

Pro Tip: At JFK, Mint/Mosaic check-in is all the way at the far end of the departures level while TSA pre is much closer to the door when you first drive up to the departures level. If you're getting dropped off and have no bags and have your boarding pass already, have the driver stop as soon as they can and leave you there are opposed to going to the far end that says Mint/Mosaic as you're just going to end up walking all the way back.
Old Oct 8, 19, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by AutoSlash View Post
The TSA Pre line is way faster then the expedited line in almost all cases. Don't even bother with expedited.

Pro Tip: At JFK, Mint/Mosaic check-in is all the way at the far end of the departures level while TSA pre is much closer to the door when you first drive up to the departures level. If you're getting dropped off and have no bags and have your boarding pass already, have the driver stop as soon as they can and leave you there are opposed to going to the far end that says Mint/Mosaic as you're just going to end up walking all the way back.
Not sure when the last time you've been to T5, but they moved the TSA pre check line to the other side next to the entrance to the expedited. So you would actually want to be dropped off a little further down the departures area, closer to the end. And beware, its not always open. But if it is, yes it is definitely faster than expedited.

Anyways T5 won't be too crowded at 5-6 pm. It will be the traffic getting to JFK that will be killer at that time of day. So I would factor in at least an hour in traffic unless you live really close. I always try to get to JFK and hour before the boarding time. So I allow 30 min through security (even for expedited, although its usually less) which leaves me time to use the restroom, fill up my water bottle, grab a sandwich and have time for either a quick drink at the bar or to find a seat and get on my laptop for a few min to respond to emails etc.

But T5 is a great facility, if you want to get there with time to spare, they have lots of good dining options both quick and sit-down and they also have an outdoor rooftop area which is nice if you want to take your food outside or just get some fresh air while you wait.
AutoSlash likes this.
Old Oct 8, 19, 10:17 am
Company Representative - Autoslash

Originally Posted by BKSweetheart View Post
Not sure when the last time you've been to T5, but they moved the TSA pre check line to the other side next to the entrance to the expedited. So you would actually want to be dropped off a little further down the departures area, closer to the end.
Thanks for the correction and noted for future reference!
Old Oct 14, 19, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by AutoSlash View Post
Thanks for the correction and noted for future reference!
Correction to above - I just flew out of T5 this past weekend and they moved TSA pre back to the other side. They had moved it to the same side as expedited over the summer but its back to the other side now.
Old Oct 15, 19, 10:26 am
mhy
Original Poster

Programs: JL / OW Sapphire, Hilton Gold
Thanks all. I'm planning to take the the LIRR / AirTrain to JFK so traffic will not be an issue. I'll aim to arrive 30-45mins prior to boarding and sounds like TSA Pre is the way to go.
MSYtoJFKagain likes this.
Old Oct 16, 19, 1:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Silver, D23 Charter Member, JetBlue Mosaic
Originally Posted by BKSweetheart View Post
Not sure when the last time you've been to T5, but they moved the TSA pre check line to the other side next to the entrance to the expedited. So you would actually want to be dropped off a little further down the departures area, closer to the end. And beware, its not always open. But if it is, yes it is definitely faster than expedited.
I believe this was a temporary move only. My last 2 trips there(within the past month) it was back to the usual location on the far side away from Mint check-in.

My general rule for any flight is arrive 1 hour prior to boarding. This allows for traffic circle issues, security hiccups and long lines for quick service food.
Old Oct 18, 19, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by mhy View Post
Thanks all. I'm planning to take the the LIRR / AirTrain to JFK so traffic will not be an issue. I'll aim to arrive 30-45mins prior to boarding and sounds like TSA Pre is the way to go.
An excellent plan. I just did this last Friday and easily made my flight.

Search this Thread