Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Jetblue Price Difference Website vs 3rd Party?

Old Oct 1, 19, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

I fly with jetblue, delta or american. I book flights directly on the site as oppose to 3rd party booking. I previously always booked via orbitz because it was simple for me but no longer do it anymore. g

I'm looking at a flight on a certain day and notice Jetblue price did drop a bit like 30 minutes ago so i wanted to book the flight at that price. But after a few minutes, the price increased a bit within those next minutes. I then took a look at orbitz and expedia and they still have those cheaper prices at the moment that i saw with jetblue eearlier.

My question is if i book the ticket through orbitz or expedia, do i guarantee myself that lower rate? At the moment, jetblue price is like over 230 dollars. But on orbitz and expedia, its like under 190.

Also, is there any benefit of booking 3rd party vs direct? By booking directly, you are sure there are no issues. But has everyone booked a flight with jetblue or delta or any airline but did it with orbitz or expedia or priceline and they did not get a seat when they were at airport? I heard few cases like this online. But this never happened to me when i book via orbitz.

Also the benefit of direct is you get like jetblue points miles from those carriers right? But 3rd party sites seem to give you like a few cashback as well... so doesn't that even it out a bit? Or does the miles the airline gives always worth more?
Old Oct 1, 19, 11:00 pm
Company Representative - Autoslash

It would be very surprising if the price was significantly different between an OTA and jetblue.com. Are you sure you priced it out with the correct number of passengers and went all the way to the final confirmation page on both sites?
Old Oct 1, 19, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

Hi there. Well it was like this. On jetblue site, price was below 185 for a while. Then price went to like over 200 or so. Then a bit later, i saw it went below 185. This was on jetblue site and orbitz. Then when i tried to book it on jetblue when going back to fill out the dates, i saw price went over 230. So it was like only a 25 minute window max where the price for that date/time was under 185. But when i visit orbitz now... its still under 185. No i did not went to the final confirmation page on orbitz. Are you saying you would be surprised if it showed under 185 dollars on the flight if that is the case?
Old Oct 1, 19, 11:15 pm
Company Representative - Autoslash

Usually, the price is sync'ed up between the various sites. It's very possible that when you tried to book at Orbitz, you get a message that the $185 rate is not available and now it' the same as on jetblue.com. Sometimes there can be discrepancies, but because of the way the systems are designed, it doesn't happen very often.

If you can save $45 by booking at Orbitz, go for it. Yes, you do get double the amount of jetBlue points by booking direct at jetBlue.com but the $45 is probably worth more, so no harm in trying. If it books and you get a ticket number, you're good-to-go, so no harm in trying. Please report back with results.
Old Oct 2, 19, 12:05 am
Original Poster

Hey there. Well i think i most likely won't do this.

But if the price is the same on orbitz vs jetblue, does the rewards in jetblue greater than on orbitz or priceline? I notice i received points from jetblue because i flew with them a lot but i still don't even have enough points to qualify for a free flight etc. I mean how much $ spend before taxes does one need to spend before they earn like $100 worth of a flight ticket?
Old Oct 3, 19, 3:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jerry90210 View Post
I mean how much $ spend before taxes does one need to spend before they earn like $100 worth of a flight ticket?
That's about 7,000 points so if you book direct with JetBlue (6 points/$) you'd need to spend $1200ish to get ~$100 worth of points. If you book on a 3rd party you'd need to spend double. But you'd also potentially collect points in the other program, too.

Search this Thread