FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   JetBlue | TrueBlue (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/jetblue-trueblue-492/)
-   -   Delta vs. B6 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/jetblue-trueblue/1989458-delta-vs-b6.html)

dx3003 Sep 30, 2019 12:08 pm

Delta vs. B6

If you are a lowest tier member status with both TrueBlue and SkyMiles and have a choice b/w B6 and Delta at the same exact price from BOS to ORD, which would you pick and why?

moulder3 Sep 30, 2019 12:47 pm

For the exact price? I'd pick B6, for two reasons: free wifi & the E190s on that route are the most spacious Y seat in the USA (and no middle seats). Neither airline has 'hubs' in ORD, but as a lowest-tier member, that would probably hurt more than help you anyway.

dx3003 Sep 30, 2019 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by moulder3 (Post 31579623)
For the exact price? I'd pick B6, for two reasons: free wifi & the E190s on that route are the most spacious Y seat in the USA (and no middle seats). Neither airline has 'hubs' in ORD, but as a lowest-tier member, that would probably hurt more than help you anyway.

Thanks. Could you clarify what you mean by a hub would actually hurt?

dpy940307 Sep 30, 2019 1:17 pm

I'd definitely go with B6. Not only does B6 has the most spacious coach seat than any other airline, the fare for delta is probably a basic economy fare which restricts you in every way possible, including not allowing you to choose your own seat, while JetBlue does not have basic economy. The same amount you pay B6 you get standard economy benefit

moulder3 Sep 30, 2019 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by dx3003 (Post 31579649)
Thanks. Could you clarify what you mean by a hub would actually hurt?

Sure. Since weather is bound to cause cancellations & delays (esp. in the winter) in ORD, if it were a hub for either airline it would help elite flyers, as they'd get priority on rebooking. Since neither B6 or DL has a hub in ORD, no real difference there--and the benefit of it not being a hub is that you (hopefully) won't have extremely long check-ins & rebooking at ORD gates, too.

Also, dpy makes a good point about Jetblue standard econ ticket vs. delta basic economy. So if you're comparing those two tickets, B6 also wins because you can select a seat & won't automatically be in the last boarding group.

dx3003 Sep 30, 2019 7:49 pm

Thx for the responses so far. If a flight is two weeks out and you notice only a half-booked flight, would you expect prices to go down in the coming days?

Traveler_boy_25 Oct 1, 2019 7:16 am

I would 100% pick DL. Even though it is DL Connection I find they are still more reliable than B6, they have better customer service than B6, and B6 is terrible in IRROPS when DL is not.

aviators99 Oct 1, 2019 8:08 am

Originally Posted by Traveler_boy_25 (Post 31582220)
I would 100% pick DL. Even though it is DL Connection I find they are still more reliable than B6, they have better customer service than B6, and B6 is terrible in IRROPS when DL is not.

They are BOTH terrible in IRROPS. And since (as mentioned above) it's not a hub for DL, their options are limited anyway during IRROPS. However, BOS is a hub (focus city?) for B6, so they would probably perform better in case of mechanical outbound. I would base it on comfort, unless you are trying to gain status on one or the other.

Traveler_boy_25 Oct 1, 2019 8:16 am

Originally Posted by aviators99 (Post 31582397)
They are BOTH terrible in IRROPS. And since (as mentioned above) it's not a hub for DL, their options are limited anyway during IRROPS. However, BOS is a hub (focus city?) for B6, so they would probably perform better in case of mechanical outbound. I would base it on comfort, unless you are trying to gain status on one or the other.

I have only had wonderful experiences during IRROPS with DL, as they always give you the option to choose another flight for free on the app and they automatically rebook and take care of their medallion members. Also, DL has a much larger operation in ORD going to 10 cities with multiple flights a day while B6 goes to 3 cities. SO, if IRROPS were to occur, it would be easier to get out on DL vs. B6. Also, BOS is also a hub for DL as well, so they do perform very well in that city. Personally, I'd rather get to my destination on time and have 1 inch less of legroom.

aviators99 Oct 1, 2019 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Traveler_boy_25 (Post 31582418)
I have only had wonderful experiences during IRROPS with DL, as they always give you the option to choose another flight for free on the app and they automatically rebook and take care of their medallion members. Also, DL has a much larger operation in ORD going to 10 cities with multiple flights a day while B6 goes to 3 cities. SO, if IRROPS were to occur, it would be easier to get out on DL vs. B6. Also, BOS is also a hub for DL as well, so they do perform very well in that city. Personally, I'd rather get to my destination on time and have 1 inch less of legroom.

You're right about BOS also being a hub for DL. I forgot that.

dtremit Oct 1, 2019 9:53 am

Originally Posted by Traveler_boy_25 (Post 31582418)

BOS is marketed as a hub for DL, but they don't really base many planes here, and their operations are split between a lot of express carriers. So I'm not sure it has an *operational* advantage from that perspective.

Coming from ORD specifically, though, the fact that DL has a ton of flights to nearby DTW and MSP every day does give them more 1-stop options to get you home.

Both DL and B6 are usually pretty slow to cancel flights, which I think gives them both an advantage over AA or UA in many cases.

GW McLintock Oct 1, 2019 10:11 am

JetBlue will have the better onboard experience (legroom, free wifi).

Delta is more likely to be on time. Also, Coca-Cola beverages.

Are you trying to get elite status with either carrier?

-J.

MSYtoJFKagain Oct 2, 2019 5:59 am

I fit both of these requirements now so personally I'd pick B6 because I want to stack more points for the TATL rollout that's coming. DL points are near valueless for my travel at the moment. I'd consider the hard products mostly even with B6 having an edge in faster free wifi as GW mentioned.

If I was traveling for business with hard time requirements I'd probably choose DL.

As to the second posted question, prices are variable but at T-14 I'd book it. Very unlikely to decrease as airlines expect last minute business travellers to suck up the higher priced tickets.

danib62 Oct 2, 2019 8:51 am

I'd go with Delta. You're far more likely to be on time and far less likely to get screwed in the event of IRROPS. Also Biscoff > mini mustache chocolate chip cookies. I've had too many bad experiences getting screwed by B6 in IRROPS and too many good experiences with Delta to choose B6 over DL when price is in the same ballpark.

GW McLintock Oct 2, 2019 8:54 am

Originally Posted by danib62 (Post 31586060)
I'd go with Delta. You're far more likely to be on time and far less likely to get screwed in the event of IRROPS. Also Biscoff > mini mustache chocolate chip cookies. I've had too many bad experiences getting screwed by B6 in IRROPS and too many good experiences with Delta to choose B6 over DL when price is in the same ballpark.

The mustache cookies are good, but they don't even come close to Biscoff :-:

Personally on JetBlue, however, I go for the Cheez-Its.

-J.