Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Jet Blue Transfer at JFK question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2019, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Question from the ignorant...I am considering booking a self-transfer flight on JetBlue from Worcester, MA (ORH) to Grenada (through JFK) on February 13, 2020. The first leg leaves ORH at 6:00a and lands at JFK at 7:00a. The next flight leaves JFK at 8:25a. The gates for the flights now are 11 and 15, but as I understand it, I would have to wait at baggage claim, check-in for the 8:25a flight to check the bags again, and then go through security for the second flight.

Question is...assuming the first flight lands on time, is this enough time to make the second flight time? I see that the minimum time stated time for checking bags prior to an international flight is 60 mins. Does not seem possible to get the bags from the ORH flight and check them for the Grenada flight in 25 minutes. Anyone have any thoughts? Is it at all possible?

Other option is to only bring carry-ons, but would the gate agents at the international flight gate allow us to check in there, avoiding security?

Appreciate your thoughts/expertise.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Carl Schwartz
Question from the ignorant...I am considering booking a self-transfer flight on JetBlue from Worcester, MA (ORH) to Grenada (through JFK) on February 13, 2020. The first leg leaves ORH at 6:00a and lands at JFK at 7:00a. The next flight leaves JFK at 8:25a. The gates for the flights now are 11 and 15, but as I understand it, I would have to wait at baggage claim, check-in for the 8:25a flight to check the bags again, and then go through security for the second flight.

Question is...assuming the first flight lands on time, is this enough time to make the second flight time? I see that the minimum time stated time for checking bags prior to an international flight is 60 mins. Does not seem possible to get the bags from the ORH flight and check them for the Grenada flight in 25 minutes. Anyone have any thoughts? Is it at all possible?

Other option is to only bring carry-ons, but would the gate agents at the international flight gate allow us to check in there, avoiding security?

Appreciate your thoughts/expertise.
You have posted in the Delta JFK connection thread. Delta does not serve GND from JFK. Kindly alert a moderator to move your post to the appropriate B6 thread.

I would recommend not doing what you are describing. Get the entire trip from Jetblue (B6) on one ticket (ORH-JFK-GND), so baggages would be checked through and your connection would be protected in case of any issues. What you are describing is not a connection.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 8:25 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Hello and welcome to flyertalk! I'm moving your post over to our JetBlue forum for more help!

Ryandc99, Moderator Delta Air Linez
Old Sep 22, 2019, 10:28 am
Suspended

OP I agree with a poster above, just make sure its all 1 PNR and your bags should transfer by themselves, Bags dont come flying out at JFK, even as a Mosaic with bags coming out among the 1st once they start coming out its usually a 20-30 min wait till they start coming out

Lets say yours are 1st , you then have to go up 1 level and recheck them and then go thru Security again and at that hour of the morn, it may be a very long line even with Pre-Check

Id say you are asking for problems if you dont have 1 PNR unless as you said just travel with a carry-on
Old Sep 22, 2019, 10:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is plain and simple not doable under even ontime circumstances.

B6 requires that bags for international departures be checked in no later than T-60. That means checked in and not just in line. This leaves 25 minutes for you to make it from your seat to baggage claim, retrieve your bags, schlep them to check-in and make it to the front of the line.

Even without checked bags, you are taking on 100% of the risk of a no show, including the need to purchase a new ticket on the next flight with availability.

General advice for separate tickets is to fly in the night before. If you are not saving enough to make that worthwhile, purchase the routing on a single ticket and the risks shift to B6.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Assuming both are B6, wouldn't staff at ORH be willing to check bags through to final destination on separate PNRs?
Old Sep 22, 2019, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Assuming both are B6, wouldn't staff at ORH be willing to check bags through to final destination on separate PNRs?
This is where I am confused too. Why wouldn't the bags be through-checked to the final destination?

There's no reason you should have to leave security and go to baggage claim. They will check your passport at the gate for Grenada.

The gate assignments you see now are meaningless. Check again that morning.

-J.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 4:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
This is where I am confused too. Why wouldn't the bags be through-checked to the final destination?

There's no reason you should have to leave security and go to baggage claim. They will check your passport at the gate for Grenada.

The gate assignments you see now are meaningless. Check again that morning.

-J.
Id say it depends on the csr and if the OP gets free checked bag/s. If the OP has to pay ORH-JFK I doubt a csr will check it all the way thru if its free for the 2nd flight. But even if the csr is willing will the computer allow it? I find nowadays more and more if something isnt 100% clear a csr doesnt want to touch it, least it mean they lose their job. For a couple of bucks maybe a skycap can do it, but w/o knowing for sure Id either change it all to 1 PNR , go the night before or somehow get B6 to combine both PNRs together (which I highly doubt they will do).
Old Sep 22, 2019, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I have had different experiences calling in and having the phone rep combine the PNRs before travel. One was able to do so fairly easily, although I ended up having to pay a surcharge, or fare difference, for it. The other itinerary was a situation where the rep was forced to cancel the original booking entirely, and re-book from scratch herself, allowing me to apply the entire original balance toward the new, more expensive ticket. Both cases were mixed mint and coach.

I would assume that if the bag fee was covered on one segment fare, but not the other, the passenger would be required to pay the non-qualifying segment bag fee at check-in? It is rather a time-consuming procedure on their part, not just a few taps at the keyboard and your bag is checked through.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by craz
Id say it depends on the csr and if the OP gets free checked bag/s. If the OP has to pay ORH-JFK I doubt a csr will check it all the way thru if its free for the 2nd flight. But even if the csr is willing will the computer allow it? I find nowadays more and more if something isnt 100% clear a csr doesnt want to touch it, least it mean they lose their job. For a couple of bucks maybe a skycap can do it, but w/o knowing for sure Id either change it all to 1 PNR , go the night before or somehow get B6 to combine both PNRs together (which I highly doubt they will do).
If it's a single itinerary, it would not be a problem.

Even if it's separate, one could in theory gate check it through: the white tags allow for hand-written connections. I have seen on a few occasions customers on separate tickets through-check bags this way. It's a sneaky but legal workaround.

-J.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 6:34 am
Suspended

it's not sneaky, it is simply risky on an itinerary where the backup plan is miserable.

If an agent will not check the bag across tickets and time is short, one either tosses the checked luggage or weeps and begs B6 to rebook for the next day. Best option here, is to pack better and not check bags.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I haven't checked, but I'd wager a ticket of ORH-JFK-GND-JFK-ORH would be cheaper than two tickets of ORH-JFK-ORH + JFK-GND-JFK.

Point being, I really can't think of any upside of buying separate tickets, especially if everything on one ticket would likely be cheaper.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 7:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Repooc17
I haven't checked, but I'd wager a ticket of ORH-JFK-GND-JFK-ORH would be cheaper than two tickets of ORH-JFK-ORH + JFK-GND-JFK.

Point being, I really can't think of any upside of buying separate tickets, especially if everything on one ticket would likely be cheaper.
Sometimes separate tickets are cheaper.

But, cheaper tickets does not always equate to "less expensive" if one has to pay bag fees twice or no shows and has to purchase a new ticket at walk up prices for what would have been a protected connection.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Silver
I would agree that with the international leg, this should be done on one itinerary. I can speak from experience that it is difficult to link 2 consecutive reservations together. I tried earlier this year and got shot down over the phone and at 2 different airports.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 12:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RWPrincess
I would agree that with the international leg, this should be done on one itinerary. I can speak from experience that it is difficult to link 2 consecutive reservations together. I tried earlier this year and got shot down over the phone and at 2 different airports.
Not just one itinerary, but one ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.