Mint Service Cuts Coming 9/1

Old Aug 30, 19, 3:26 am
Original Poster

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
Mint Service Cuts Coming 9/1

Starting Sept 1:

- Whole fresh fruit eliminated
- Grey Goose vodka eliminated from Mint. Tito's Vodka (currently sold in Core) will be the only vodka on board
- Bulleit Bourbon will be replaced by Jack Daniels
- Milkbar cookies will no longer be packaged in a decorative box
- Raaka chocolates will be eliminated

Any remaining stock of the eliminated items may continue to be loaded by caterers until depletion and may be served, rationed, or disposed at the inflight crew's discretion.
Old Aug 30, 19, 7:19 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Eh, not a huge change. The fruit is lousy since I enjoyed that on a breakfast flight, but the mint product continues to be the best in the country.
Old Aug 30, 19, 7:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Meh. Tidbits of no consequence.

How much are you willing to pay for the fancy box containing the treat?
Old Aug 30, 19, 8:54 am

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic
Glad about the box; I don't care for Tito's so that's a hit for me; don't hate JD but it's not bourbon so that's a net negative too. Flying Mint today so will need to booze it up with the soon to be departed.
Old Aug 30, 19, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
The fruit and going from an actual bourbon to a Tennessee sour mash, that tastes like artificial bananas to me, are losses. The others are relatively minor adjustments. The hard and soft products still are a leading domestic J premium service in my opinion.
lost_perspicacity likes this.
Old Aug 30, 19, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA GLD, B6 Mosaic, HH Diamond
- Bulleit Bourbon will be replaced by Jack Daniels

Bulleit Bourbon will be dropped--Jack Daniels has always been available. Sad.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Aug 31, 19, 1:32 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: DL KM, Bonvoy Gold, RHG Gold, Accor Silver, Hilton Silver, Natl EE, Avis PC, Greyhound RR
I'm not a fan of Tito's; I really enjoyed the Goose. This is the most upsetting of the changes for me.

Each of these changes, on their own, seem inconsequential. However, when viewed together, especially at a time when other airlines are strengthening their premium product, it is very troubling.

Although not mentioned here, I have heard through the grapevine that the September menu will be the same as August. I'm okay with this since August had some great food, but again it just makes you wonder what's going on.

-J.
RWPrincess likes this.
Old Aug 31, 19, 2:05 pm

Honestly, most of the changes don't affect me, but they look petty.

Since they somehow don't want to load "bananas," most of the apples and oranges are left uneaten. I am actually okay with this change.
However, I like the chocolate. I will write JetBlue once I have my Mint flight in September.

I actually think they need to strengthen the pre-arrival snack service, especially on the westbound breakfast flight. They really need something more substantial on these six hours flight.
The snack basket can differentiate a bit more from "core" cabin.

BTW, will they change the "amenity kit" brand soon?

Carfield
Old Aug 31, 19, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by GW McLintock View Post
I'm not a fan of Tito's; I really enjoyed the Goose. This is the most upsetting of the changes for me.

Each of these changes, on their own, seem inconsequential. However, when viewed together, especially at a time when other airlines are strengthening their premium product, it is very troubling.

Although not mentioned here, I have heard through the grapevine that the September menu will be the same as August. I'm okay with this since August had some great food, but again it just makes you wonder what's going on.

-J.
I think menus are rotated quarterly now so August to October 2019 will feature the same menus!

Carfield
Old Aug 31, 19, 3:33 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, AA Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by grrizzli View Post
Bulleit Bourbon will be dropped--Jack Daniels has always been available. Sad.
Agreed. I've been writing to Jetblue a few times a year begging them to offer bourbon in core. AA & DL have Woodford Reserve in Y and I think United has Buffalo Trace--why is Jetblue getting beaten by the old guard on both drinks & cocktails now?

The mint service reductions, combined with the Coke=>Pepsi switch and removal of bottled water worries me that Jetblue is going down a path of increased penny pinching. To recap, they now have worse drink & cocktail offerings than AA, DL & UA and the awful SpaceFlex bathrooms on refurb A320 are hated on both Jetblue & AA. What's the endgame here?
ijgordon and RWPrincess like this.

Last edited by moulder3; Sep 1, 19 at 12:09 pm
Old Aug 31, 19, 4:27 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: DL KM, Bonvoy Gold, RHG Gold, Accor Silver, Hilton Silver, Natl EE, Avis PC, Greyhound RR
Originally Posted by Carfield View Post
I think menus are rotated quarterly now so August to October 2019 will feature the same menus!

Carfield
Wow. The food is good, but three months is a long time. If I flew Mint regularly (some people go more than once a week), I'd get bored of the food.

-J.
Old Aug 31, 19, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA PLT, B6 Mosaic, UA Gold, Bonvoy Plat, Le Club Accor Silver, Hertz 5 Star
IMHO the Milk Bar cookies are vile (sickeningly sweet) and should be dumped entirely, so losing their decorative packaging is certainly not a big deal.
Old Sep 2, 19, 2:03 pm

I have no issue with any of this. I think they are constantly making service adjustments. If there is enough feedback, they will find ways to either turn back those adjustments or try something differently.

My biggest issue with mint is that it's not offered on even more routes.
leonger likes this.
Old Sep 7, 19, 2:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by GW McLintock View Post
Not sure which "other airlines" you're referring to that are "strengthening" their premium product, but it is surely not UA, DL, AA, or AS. They are all in full-blown cost-cutting mode.
Old Sep 7, 19, 4:55 pm

Programs: Hotels: Golden Airlines: B6 Mosiac
Originally Posted by MikeBOS View Post
IMHO the Milk Bar cookies are vile (sickeningly sweet) and should be dumped entirely, so losing their decorative packaging is certainly not a big deal.
I hate them too!

Search this Thread