Blue Flex Refundable Fares With Points?

Old Aug 28, 19, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: JetBlue
Blue Flex Refundable Fares With Points?

Forgive me but I am still an inexperienced traveler. I want to book a flight with JetBlue points that I can change or cancel without charge. So I am going to select Blue Flex. Trip is 7 months out. Why would I not just book the flight now and if/when the price drops which it probably will, I can cancel the flight and rebook at the lower price. JetBlue tells me the points never expire after they are re-deposited in my account.

So may rules and fine print these issues are difficult to understand at times..........
Old Aug 28, 19, 7:09 pm
Company Representative - Autoslash

Sure, you can book a Blue Flex fare which allows for refundability, but keep in mind that Blue Flex is usually 25-50% higher than a standard fare, so while you can cancel and re-book if/when the price drops, there's no guarantee that you'll end up at a price that was lower than if you booked a regular "Blue" fare in the first place. if your plans aren't firm though, it's probably a decent approach.
Old Aug 29, 19, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AutoSlash View Post
Sure, you can book a Blue Flex fare which allows for refundability, but keep in mind that Blue Flex is usually 25-50% higher than a standard fare, so while you can cancel and re-book if/when the price drops, there's no guarantee that you'll end up at a price that was lower than if you booked a regular "Blue" fare in the first place. if your plans aren't firm though, it's probably a decent approach.
Thanks. Yes I need the flexibility. Just wanted to make sure that points from a canceled flight don't expire in a year just in case I don't get to use them.
Old Aug 29, 19, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Jimval26 View Post
Thanks. Yes I need the flexibility. Just wanted to make sure that points from a canceled flight don't expire in a year just in case I don't get to use them.
Jetblue points never expire. Travel bank credits on the other hand (if you cancel a Blue Flex fare paid for in cash) do expire in a year.
Old Oct 24, 19, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AutoSlash View Post
Jetblue points never expire. Travel bank credits on the other hand (if you cancel a Blue Flex fare paid for in cash) do expire in a year.

Do you know how long it takes for the points to get back to your account after canceling a flight? Is it instantaneous?

Thanks.
Old Oct 24, 19, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Jimval26 View Post
Do you know how long it takes for the points to get back to your account after canceling a flight? Is it instantaneous?

Thanks.
Yes, it's instantaneous.

Search this Thread