Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Frustrated by lack of Mint upgrades for Mosaics

Frustrated by lack of Mint upgrades for Mosaics

Old Aug 25, 19, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: JetBlue
Unhappy Frustrated by lack of Mint upgrades for Mosaics

I had a horrendous experience where the non-Mosaic passenger infront of me was upgraded because his TV was broken. There were empty seats. And I was the Mosaic on the plane. Half of the Mint cabin was empty. The economy class was so full that I couldn't even upgrade to Even More Space.

Typically, when seats are sold out, they upgrade the highest paying Mosaic (this has happened to me 2x in 4 years) - a less than 2% chance

The more I learn about other programs, the more I realize that business class upgrades are standard in comparable loyalty programs. Understandably so, flying a lot is hard.

As much as it pains me, I am considering other programs to transfer into - I love everything else about JetBlue so even the research is a drag.

Has anyone been part of other loyalty programs? What was your favorite? Delta seems to be a fav?
Old Aug 25, 19, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA PLT, B6 Mosaic, UA Gold, Bonvoy Plat, Le Club Accor Silver, Hertz 5 Star
I have comparable status on both AA and UA, and have had top tier status on both. At this point upgrades are few and far between on all the legacy airlines, particularly if you don't have the highest level of status (EXP or 1K) -- personally, I'd much rather have benefits I can count on (e.g. free changes with Mosaic) vs. lottery tickets (upgrades on the legacy airlines). As PLT on AA I get upgraded on maybe 1 out of 20 flights (better than your 2% on JetBlue but not a lot better). Overall I am happier with the benefits of Mosaic than either PLT or Premier Gold on UA, and go out of my way to renew it to a greater extent than I do with the other two.
Old Aug 25, 19, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Layla S. View Post
I had a horrendous experience where the non-Mosaic passenger infront of me was upgraded because his TV was broken. There were empty seats. And I was the Mosaic on the plane. Half of the Mint cabin was empty. The economy class was so full that I couldn't even upgrade to Even More Space.

Typically, when seats are sold out, they upgrade the highest paying Mosaic (this has happened to me 2x in 4 years) - a less than 2% chance

The more I learn about other programs, the more I realize that business class upgrades are standard in comparable loyalty programs. Understandably so, flying a lot is hard.

As much as it pains me, I am considering other programs to transfer into - I love everything else about JetBlue so even the research is a drag.

Has anyone been part of other loyalty programs? What was your favorite? Delta seems to be a fav?
Had you been on UA,DL,AA it would have been the exact samething , there are no comp UPs on the Prem flights There are OPUPs like you got when Y is oversold (which B6 seems usually not to do) and then all 4 carriers have their list of whom gets the comp-up.

What was so horrendous??? you got what you paid for nd since there was a problem with the other passengers seat (IFE) they were given the only type of seat available Mint. You want a Min seat pay for it and its yours, no ifs , ands or buts. No crew is gonna start playing games by telling the person with the service issue ,OK Im gonna have to find out if there are any Mosaics aboard if yes who paid the highest fare and put them in Mint and you will take their seat. If no Mosaic then find out who paid the highest fare

Should a Mosaic on a $99 fare get the Up or a non_mosaic say on a $599 fare, answer is whhat was done put the passenger with the problem into the available seat which in this case was a Mint seat
leonger and kimberlyrose like this.
Old Aug 25, 19, 4:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You have described an OPUP. E.g., the other passenger was upgraded for the operational convenience of B6.

But, what you want isn't going to happen on premium services and if you jump ship to another carrier, it won't likely happen there either.
Old Aug 25, 19, 6:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

the more I realize that business class upgrades are standard in comparable loyalty programs.
Not really on transcons, the Mint-equivalent flights. Also, definitely not at the low end of the qualification level (i.e. ~$5k spend, similar to Mosaic's requirement).

Also, the idea that you got the seat you paid for is a "horrendous experience" is an interesting stretch.
Old Aug 26, 19, 5:32 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic
Upgrades are incredibly rare and not a perk of being Mosaic. I'm sure you survived this "horrendous ordeal".

I'm sure OP will vanish in the mists after their vent post but welcome to FlyerTalk nonetheless.
diburning likes this.
Old Aug 26, 19, 8:56 am

Programs: B6, UA, DL
If I was in that situation, I would have tried to upgrade with my TrueBlue points.
Old Aug 26, 19, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by Lineman View Post
If I was in that situation, I would have tried to upgrade with my TrueBlue points.
But you can't upgrade with points. This is actually what frustrates me. They could make it as expensive as they want (in points), and actually earn some revenue that way. I don't fault them for not doing op-ups.
Old Aug 27, 19, 7:27 am

Programs: DL Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, National Executive
Originally Posted by aviators99 View Post
But you can't upgrade with points. This is actually what frustrates me. They could make it as expensive as they want (in points), and actually earn some revenue that way. I don't fault them for not doing op-ups.
It also frustrates me that B6 does not let you pay for Group A boarding without buying EMS.
Old Aug 27, 19, 10:38 am

Programs: B6, UA, DL
That is frustrating. I know when I buy a regular seat with $, I do have the option to use points to upgrade to EMS. I didn't realize you couldn't do that from regular to Mint.
Old Aug 27, 19, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lineman View Post
That is frustrating. I know when I buy a regular seat with $, I do have the option to use points to upgrade to EMS. I didn't realize you couldn't do that from regular to Mint.
Theres also an option to use pts to up to EMS when on a pts tkt, why anyone would want to is beyond me as reg Y has more then enough room even when the person ahead of me reclines fully

B6 it seems at least bet JFK & LAX has no problem usually filling up Mint, so why should they discount it by allowing pts to be used for Upgrading, and is probably why you need more pts per $ if using pts for the res

that said I have a r/t pts res for next weekend cost me 15,800 r/t, I couldnt get a 1 way on DL,UA or AA for that and a few months ago I used 11,600 r/t

The unknown is what if anything will change when they start up with London, my gut tells me it will remain as is no ups to Mint using pts
Old Aug 27, 19, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by craz View Post
Theres also an option to use pts to up to EMS when on a pts tkt, why anyone would want to is beyond me as reg Y has more then enough room even when the person ahead of me reclines fully
The new interior reduces seat pitch in Y, so this will continue to get worse, as time goes on.
Old Aug 28, 19, 12:11 am

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
This is not true. There is an opaque determination/process for op-ups that results in a Mosaic getting it most of the time, but Mosaic status is actually not a factor when the system selects a passenger for the op-up.
Old Aug 28, 19, 10:26 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: DL KM, Bonvoy Gold, RHG Gold, Accor Silver, Hilton Silver, Natl EE, Avis PC, Greyhound RR
The new interior reduces seat pitch in Y, so this will continue to get worse, as time goes on.
It's around an inch less, and so little that they can still legally call it "the most legroom in coach." I wouldn't be too concerned.

-J.
RWPrincess likes this.
Old Aug 28, 19, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by GW McLintock View Post
It's around an inch less, and so little that they can still legally call it "the most legroom in coach." I wouldn't be too concerned.

-J.
It actually ties many of the other airlines, so it's "most" along with all of the rest. EMS is still tops on its own.

Search this Thread