FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   JetBlue | TrueBlue (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/jetblue-trueblue-492/)
-   -   Frustrated by lack of Mint upgrades for Mosaics (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/jetblue-trueblue/1984456-frustrated-lack-mint-upgrades-mosaics.html)

Layla S. Aug 25, 2019 12:00 pm

Frustrated by lack of Mint upgrades for Mosaics

I had a horrendous experience where the non-Mosaic passenger infront of me was upgraded because his TV was broken. There were empty seats. And I was the Mosaic on the plane. Half of the Mint cabin was empty. The economy class was so full that I couldn't even upgrade to Even More Space.

Typically, when seats are sold out, they upgrade the highest paying Mosaic (this has happened to me 2x in 4 years) - a less than 2% chance

The more I learn about other programs, the more I realize that business class upgrades are standard in comparable loyalty programs. Understandably so, flying a lot is hard.

As much as it pains me, I am considering other programs to transfer into - I love everything else about JetBlue so even the research is a drag.

Has anyone been part of other loyalty programs? What was your favorite? Delta seems to be a fav?

MikeBOS Aug 25, 2019 2:48 pm

I have comparable status on both AA and UA, and have had top tier status on both. At this point upgrades are few and far between on all the legacy airlines, particularly if you don't have the highest level of status (EXP or 1K) -- personally, I'd much rather have benefits I can count on (e.g. free changes with Mosaic) vs. lottery tickets (upgrades on the legacy airlines). As PLT on AA I get upgraded on maybe 1 out of 20 flights (better than your 2% on JetBlue but not a lot better). Overall I am happier with the benefits of Mosaic than either PLT or Premier Gold on UA, and go out of my way to renew it to a greater extent than I do with the other two.

craz Aug 25, 2019 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Layla S. (Post 31455240)
I had a horrendous experience where the non-Mosaic passenger infront of me was upgraded because his TV was broken. There were empty seats. And I was the Mosaic on the plane. Half of the Mint cabin was empty. The economy class was so full that I couldn't even upgrade to Even More Space.

Typically, when seats are sold out, they upgrade the highest paying Mosaic (this has happened to me 2x in 4 years) - a less than 2% chance

The more I learn about other programs, the more I realize that business class upgrades are standard in comparable loyalty programs. Understandably so, flying a lot is hard.

As much as it pains me, I am considering other programs to transfer into - I love everything else about JetBlue so even the research is a drag.

Has anyone been part of other loyalty programs? What was your favorite? Delta seems to be a fav?

Had you been on UA,DL,AA it would have been the exact samething , there are no comp UPs on the Prem flights There are OPUPs like you got when Y is oversold (which B6 seems usually not to do) and then all 4 carriers have their list of whom gets the comp-up.

What was so horrendous??? you got what you paid for nd since there was a problem with the other passengers seat (IFE) they were given the only type of seat available Mint. You want a Min seat pay for it and its yours, no ifs , ands or buts. No crew is gonna start playing games by telling the person with the service issue ,OK Im gonna have to find out if there are any Mosaics aboard if yes who paid the highest fare and put them in Mint and you will take their seat. If no Mosaic then find out who paid the highest fare

Should a Mosaic on a $99 fare get the Up or a non_mosaic say on a $599 fare, answer is whhat was done put the passenger with the problem into the available seat which in this case was a Mint seat

Often1 Aug 25, 2019 4:56 pm

You have described an OPUP. E.g., the other passenger was upgraded for the operational convenience of B6.

But, what you want isn't going to happen on premium services and if you jump ship to another carrier, it won't likely happen there either.

sbm12 Aug 25, 2019 6:01 pm

the more I realize that business class upgrades are standard in comparable loyalty programs.

Not really on transcons, the Mint-equivalent flights. Also, definitely not at the low end of the qualification level (i.e. ~$5k spend, similar to Mosaic's requirement).

Also, the idea that you got the seat you paid for is a "horrendous experience" is an interesting stretch.

MSYtoJFKagain Aug 26, 2019 5:32 am

Upgrades are incredibly rare and not a perk of being Mosaic. I'm sure you survived this "horrendous ordeal". :rolleyes:

I'm sure OP will vanish in the mists after their vent post but welcome to FlyerTalk nonetheless.

Lineman Aug 26, 2019 8:56 am

If I was in that situation, I would have tried to upgrade with my TrueBlue points.

aviators99 Aug 26, 2019 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by Lineman (Post 31457988)
If I was in that situation, I would have tried to upgrade with my TrueBlue points.

But you can't upgrade with points. This is actually what frustrates me. They could make it as expensive as they want (in points), and actually earn some revenue that way. I don't fault them for not doing op-ups.

Traveler_boy_25 Aug 27, 2019 7:27 am

Originally Posted by aviators99 (Post 31460621)
But you can't upgrade with points. This is actually what frustrates me. They could make it as expensive as they want (in points), and actually earn some revenue that way. I don't fault them for not doing op-ups.

It also frustrates me that B6 does not let you pay for Group A boarding without buying EMS.

Lineman Aug 27, 2019 10:38 am

Originally Posted by aviators99 (Post 31460621)

That is frustrating. I know when I buy a regular seat with $, I do have the option to use points to upgrade to EMS. I didn't realize you couldn't do that from regular to Mint.

craz Aug 27, 2019 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Lineman (Post 31462418)
That is frustrating. I know when I buy a regular seat with $, I do have the option to use points to upgrade to EMS. I didn't realize you couldn't do that from regular to Mint.

Theres also an option to use pts to up to EMS when on a pts tkt, why anyone would want to is beyond me as reg Y has more then enough room even when the person ahead of me reclines fully

B6 it seems at least bet JFK & LAX has no problem usually filling up Mint, so why should they discount it by allowing pts to be used for Upgrading, and is probably why you need more pts per $ if using pts for the res

that said I have a r/t pts res for next weekend cost me 15,800 r/t, I couldnt get a 1 way on DL,UA or AA for that and a few months ago I used 11,600 r/t

The unknown is what if anything will change when they start up with London, my gut tells me it will remain as is no ups to Mint using pts

aviators99 Aug 27, 2019 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by craz (Post 31462895)
Theres also an option to use pts to up to EMS when on a pts tkt, why anyone would want to is beyond me as reg Y has more then enough room even when the person ahead of me reclines fully

The new interior reduces seat pitch in Y, so this will continue to get worse, as time goes on.

diburning Aug 28, 2019 12:11 am

This is not true. There is an opaque determination/process for op-ups that results in a Mosaic getting it most of the time, but Mosaic status is actually not a factor when the system selects a passenger for the op-up.

GW McLintock Aug 28, 2019 10:26 am

Originally Posted by aviators99 (Post 31464617)
The new interior reduces seat pitch in Y, so this will continue to get worse, as time goes on.

It's around an inch less, and so little that they can still legally call it "the most legroom in coach." I wouldn't be too concerned.

-J.

aviators99 Aug 28, 2019 11:14 am

Originally Posted by GW McLintock (Post 31466215)
It's around an inch less, and so little that they can still legally call it "the most legroom in coach." I wouldn't be too concerned.

-J.

It actually ties many of the other airlines, so it's "most" along with all of the rest. EMS is still tops on its own.