Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

What are options if JetBlue cancel flight?

Old Aug 13, 19, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IC, WN, Hyatt, Avis

Hi,
I am sorry for this newbie question - I have never connected flights booked on two different tickets.
Does JetBlue ever rebook people on other airlines if they cancel a flight? I would be taking a flight from BUF to JFK to connect to an evening flight to Europe (with Lufthansa). There is an afternoon BUF-JFK flight that lands at 1505, but if that flight is cancelled there are no other Jetblue flights from BUF that would arrive before the flight leaves JFK. I haven't booked anything yet. Any advice welcome.

Thanks
Old Aug 13, 19, 2:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you are flying on separate tickets, you are not connecting. Those are two entirely separate itineraries.

If you no show for your LH flight, your LH ticket (and any return or onward segments) will be cancelled and retain whatever value they retain under the ticket's fare rules. That is likely $0 and would mean that you would need to purchase a new ticket.

I strongly recommend against flying on two tickets unless you have carefully thought through the consequences. If you do, you should allow for all eventualities because the risks are all yours. Best to fly down the night before or use a carrier which has an interline agreement with LH and will issue a single ticket BUF-JFK-FRA/MUC.
leonger and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Aug 13, 19, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IC, WN, Hyatt, Avis
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
If you are flying on separate tickets, you are not connecting. Those are two entirely separate itineraries.

If you no show for your LH flight, your LH ticket (and any return or onward segments) will be cancelled and retain whatever value they retain under the ticket's fare rules. That is likely $0 and would mean that you would need to purchase a new ticket.

I strongly recommend against flying on two tickets unless you have carefully thought through the consequences. If you do, you should allow for all eventualities because the risks are all yours. Best to fly down the night before or use a carrier which has an interline agreement with LH and will issue a single ticket BUF-JFK-FRA/MUC.
Yes you are right. I probably should fly the night before... the difference in price in the tickets is a lot. From BUF to MAD is $750 vs JFK to MAD is $275 the saving for our family of 4 is tremendous

Thanks

Last edited by zutalors; Aug 13, 19 at 3:13 pm
Old Aug 13, 19, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by zutalors View Post
Hi,
I am sorry for this newbie question - I have never connected flights booked on two different tickets.
Does JetBlue ever rebook people on other airlines if they cancel a flight? I would be taking a flight from BUF to JFK to connect to an evening flight to Europe (with Lufthansa). There is an afternoon BUF-JFK flight that lands at 1505, but if that flight is cancelled there are no other Jetblue flights from BUF that would arrive before the flight leaves JFK. I haven't booked anything yet. Any advice welcome.

Thanks
B6 flies often enough between BUF and JFK that I would want a one or two flight cushion in case of issues rather than taking the last flight possible. Considering the downside if you miss LH flight that safety is important.
Old Aug 14, 19, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nystateofmind View Post

B6 flies often enough between BUF and JFK that I would want a one or two flight cushion in case of issues rather than taking the last flight possible. Considering the downside if you miss LH flight that safety is important.
Exact;y what I would do, unless the flights are in the winter when snow could mess things up and then Id want to fly in the night before. But at a min Id want to leave 1 or better 2 flights between the last flight possible and the LH flight
nystateofmind likes this.