Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

FLL-HAV, avoiding the dreaded gate checked bag

Old Jul 13, 19, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Hi,
First-time JetBlue flyer. I have an FLL-HAV flight coming up (on an A320).

I almost exclusively fly Southwest, and seemingly every other airline I fly wants to gatecheck everything bigger than a purse by default.

What are the odds my carry-ons will remain with me? Any type of bag more likely to remain a carry-on? A duffel bag have better odds than a standard rolled carry-on?

This is important in planning, since, at least as far as I've experienced, gate-checked bags always seem to be sent to the baggage carousel upon arrival.

And in Havana, that means 1 to 2 hours delay waiting for them in a small, hot room with nothing to do, no water and sub-par bathrooms. Plus I have to worry about my pre-arranged ride departing without me.
Old Jul 13, 19, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA PLT, B6 Mosaic, UA Gold, Bonvoy Plat, Le Club Accor Silver, Hertz 5 Star
If you buy an Even More Space seat you will get priority boarding and pretty much guarantee your bag goes in the cabin with you.
Old Jul 13, 19, 8:21 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Do they force people to check their bags? I've usually encountered them asking people and making it seem like a benefit. You can always just say no....unless I'm missing something.
Old Jul 13, 19, 8:49 pm
Company Representative - Autoslash

JetBlue rarely, if ever, forces you to gate check a bag (unlike AA ugh), unless you are one of the last to board and there is simply no more room in the overhead. Either buy up to an EMS seat, or just make sure to board ASAP and you should be fine.
Old Jul 14, 19, 6:59 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by AutoSlash View Post
JetBlue rarely, if ever, forces you to gate check a bag (unlike AA ugh), unless you are one of the last to board and there is simply no more room in the overhead. Either buy up to an EMS seat, or just make sure to board ASAP and you should be fine.
Bolding mine. This is definitely not true. If you're past Group 2, you will very likely have to check your bag unless the load is light. It's even worse in the winter when everyone stuffs their coats up top.

As everyone said, buy EMS.
Traveler_boy_25 likes this.
Old Jul 15, 19, 7:13 am

Location: Box Three Five Oh, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Book a window towards the back and you should be in Group B and have your choice of overhead compartments

Search this Thread