Transcon Mint Fare San Diego to Boston?

Old Jun 18, 19, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Transcon Mint Fare San Diego to Boston?

Currently eyeing a mint fare from San Diego to Boston in late September (Monday afternoon, 2:50 PM) and I'm only seeing prices for ~$800 one way. I snagged a $399 from BOS-SFO in mint earlier this y ear. Any chance of this going down if I wait it out longer? Don't feel like SAN-BOS must be a highly trafficked route...
Old Jun 19, 19, 3:38 am

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
Yes. I booked BOS-SAN last year in Economy because they wanted $799 for Mint. At about 5 days from departure, Mint came down to $549 and there were still suites available, so I ate the $150 cancel fee and rebooked in Mint.
Old Jun 20, 19, 8:11 am

Programs: Hotels: Golden Airlines: B6 Mosiac
Originally Posted by diburning View Post
Yes. I booked BOS-SAN last year in Economy because they wanted $799 for Mint. At about 5 days from departure, Mint came down to $549 and there were still suites available, so I ate the $150 cancel fee and rebooked in Mint.
they used to waive All fees when you upgraded a ticket to mint over the phone. Did they stop that?
Old Jun 20, 19, 9:19 am

Programs: VX Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by decillion View Post
Don't feel like SAN-BOS must be a highly trafficked route...
JetBlue and Alaska are the only carriers that serve this direct. Demand might not be massive, but supply is relatively low.

Lowest I've seen for the route is $599.
Old Jun 21, 19, 1:05 am

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
Originally Posted by HepperSchepp View Post

they used to waive All fees when you upgraded a ticket to mint over the phone. Did they stop that?
They do if you're upfaring on the same flight, but I was also changing to another (earlier) flight so they didn't waive the fee. (When I booked, the later flight had the lower coach fare, and when the fare for Mint dropped, it only dropped on the earlier flight)
Old Jun 25, 19, 4:38 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM - Jet Blue Mosaic - Hyatt LTG - Hilton Diamond (Aspire) - Hertz PC
My personal observation is that Jet Blue is aggressively overpricing Mint in advance but will drop the fares significantly if the seats go unsold. It is a game of chicken that I am sure is not everyone's cup of tea, but I have on occasion paid one-third the price that Jet Blue was originally asking.
Old Jun 26, 19, 2:02 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic
It's pretty standard now to have fares come out at max/near max prices at schedule extension to capitalize on date inflexible travelers.
Old Jun 27, 19, 12:45 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM - Jet Blue Mosaic - Hyatt LTG - Hilton Diamond (Aspire) - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain View Post
It's pretty standard now to have fares come out at max/near max prices at schedule extension to capitalize on date inflexible travelers.
On Jet Blue, perhaps. It is not my experience at all on other carriers.
Old Jun 27, 19, 5:54 am

Agreed, my point was for B6 flights.
Old Jul 3, 19, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Data point. I've been checking every 5-7 days just when I'm bored on my phone. Had been consistently $800+ (also stating: Only 1 seat left at this price!) for the last few weeks. I just checked right now and it dropped to $503, so I booked it using Chase UR (28k) plus $69. The entire cabin was unbooked and no seats had been sold. This is for a weekday 2:50 PM SAN-BOS flight.
Old Jul 4, 19, 6:11 am

Nice price!
Old Jul 8, 19, 9:45 am

Programs: UA SILVER, PP, AMEX PLAT, SPG G, HH Gold, Amtrak Select
JFK-LAS

Scored JFK-LAS at $450 but seems like the standard BASE going price.
Old Jul 20, 19, 6:48 am

Programs: United Silver, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat
Just found out last week I'm moving to San Diego second week of August. Scored BOS - SAN lunch flight for $504 (single suite). Boston has been great for the last three years, but see you in San Diego!
caliform likes this.

Search this Thread