FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   JetBlue | TrueBlue (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/jetblue-trueblue-492/)
-   -   Transcon Mint Fare San Diego to Boston? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/jetblue-trueblue/1974657-transcon-mint-fare-san-diego-boston.html)

decillion Jun 18, 2019 9:11 pm

Transcon Mint Fare San Diego to Boston?

Currently eyeing a mint fare from San Diego to Boston in late September (Monday afternoon, 2:50 PM) and I'm only seeing prices for ~$800 one way. I snagged a $399 from BOS-SFO in mint earlier this y ear. Any chance of this going down if I wait it out longer? Don't feel like SAN-BOS must be a highly trafficked route...

diburning Jun 19, 2019 3:38 am

Yes. I booked BOS-SAN last year in Economy because they wanted $799 for Mint. At about 5 days from departure, Mint came down to $549 and there were still suites available, so I ate the $150 cancel fee and rebooked in Mint.

HepperSchepp Jun 20, 2019 8:11 am

Originally Posted by diburning (Post 31217709)
Yes. I booked BOS-SAN last year in Economy because they wanted $799 for Mint. At about 5 days from departure, Mint came down to $549 and there were still suites available, so I ate the $150 cancel fee and rebooked in Mint.

they used to waive All fees when you upgraded a ticket to mint over the phone. Did they stop that?

bevnetcraven Jun 20, 2019 9:19 am

Originally Posted by decillion (Post 31217095)
Don't feel like SAN-BOS must be a highly trafficked route...

JetBlue and Alaska are the only carriers that serve this direct. Demand might not be massive, but supply is relatively low.

Lowest I've seen for the route is $599.

diburning Jun 21, 2019 1:05 am

Originally Posted by HepperSchepp (Post 31222127)

they used to waive All fees when you upgraded a ticket to mint over the phone. Did they stop that?

They do if you're upfaring on the same flight, but I was also changing to another (earlier) flight so they didn't waive the fee. (When I booked, the later flight had the lower coach fare, and when the fare for Mint dropped, it only dropped on the earlier flight)

strife Jun 25, 2019 4:38 pm

My personal observation is that Jet Blue is aggressively overpricing Mint in advance but will drop the fares significantly if the seats go unsold. It is a game of chicken that I am sure is not everyone's cup of tea, but I have on occasion paid one-third the price that Jet Blue was originally asking.

MSYtoJFKagain Jun 26, 2019 2:02 pm

It's pretty standard now to have fares come out at max/near max prices at schedule extension to capitalize on date inflexible travelers.

strife Jun 27, 2019 12:45 am

Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain (Post 31242678)
It's pretty standard now to have fares come out at max/near max prices at schedule extension to capitalize on date inflexible travelers.

On Jet Blue, perhaps. It is not my experience at all on other carriers.

MSYtoJFKagain Jun 27, 2019 5:54 am

Agreed, my point was for B6 flights.

decillion Jul 3, 2019 4:45 pm

Data point. I've been checking every 5-7 days just when I'm bored on my phone. Had been consistently $800+ (also stating: Only 1 seat left at this price!) for the last few weeks. I just checked right now and it dropped to $503, so I booked it using Chase UR (28k) plus $69. The entire cabin was unbooked and no seats had been sold. This is for a weekday 2:50 PM SAN-BOS flight.

MSYtoJFKagain Jul 4, 2019 6:11 am

Nice price!

theboss7593 Jul 8, 2019 9:45 am

JFK-LAS

Scored JFK-LAS at $450 but seems like the standard BASE going price.

JackieTreehorn Jul 20, 2019 6:48 am

Just found out last week I'm moving to San Diego second week of August. Scored BOS - SAN lunch flight for $504 (single suite). Boston has been great for the last three years, but see you in San Diego!