Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Mosaic no more free even more space seats

Old May 31, 19, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

B6 used to allow mosaics to upgrade to even more space seats for free at the check in counter. However, I just flew out of ATL and they are saying a they have new policies now and no longer upgrade for free for Mosaic—will have to use points. I haven’t had this happen in any other airport, so maybe it is YMMV. anyone else experience this?
Old May 31, 19, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA LifetimeGold, WN A-ListPreferred, B6 Mosaic, ChoicePrivileges Diamond, BestWestern Diamond Select
Originally Posted by yydv View Post
B6 used to allow mosaics to upgrade to even more space seats for free at the check in counter. However, I just flew out of ATL and they are saying a they have new policies now and no longer upgrade for free for Mosaic—will have to use points. I haven’t had this happen in any other airport, so maybe it is YMMV. anyone else experience this?
As far as I know, this was never official written policy, but gate agents often did it. Points purchase is still quite a good deal, when compared to the dollar cost of EMS. And if you have their credit card, you get 10% back.
Old Jun 1, 19, 7:16 am

Programs: Free agent
It's about 5 bucks iirc. One of the benefits I miss most having dropped back to normal status.
Old Jun 1, 19, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain View Post
It's about 5 bucks iirc. One of the benefits I miss most having dropped back to normal status.
Same here! I had forgotten it was Mosaic only, so a bit painful to pay for EMS while sitting on plenty of True Blue points.
Old Jun 2, 19, 8:38 am

Programs: AA PLT, B6 Mosaic, UA Gold, Bonvoy Plat, Le Club Accor Silver, Hertz 5 Star
Agree with the sentiment above. At a value of 1.4 cents each for TrueBlue points, the cost of an EMS seat even on a transcon for a Mosaic is less than $20, and on shorter flights in the $5 range. It's hard for me to imagine a scenario where I would want to wait until checkin and take my chances to save such a negligible amount of money, so this is really not a significant takeback, IMHO.
Old Jun 4, 19, 3:23 am

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
It's an unpublished discretionary benefit and as far as I know, there has NOT been a change in the policy. Gate agents are not obligated to give you an EMS seat for free although most will. Maybe the agent was new. How full was the flight?
Old Jun 10, 19, 2:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Silver, D23 Charter Member, JetBlue Mosaic, Southwest A-List
I've had better luck with ticket agents than gate agents
Old Jun 17, 19, 9:58 am
myk

Programs: Hilton Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic
Originally Posted by RWPrincess View Post
I've had better luck with ticket agents than gate agents
especially in the mosaic line.
Old Jun 17, 19, 10:38 am

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
Depending on the station, it might not matter. At small outstations (such as BWI), the gate agents are the ticket agents. They work in pairs/triplets. One goes airside to make initial announcements, then the other(s) go airside once the check-in cutoff closes, and then they all work the gate.
Old Jun 18, 19, 12:03 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic
Mosaic here, my party of 6 (wife, daughter, 2 grandkids) was upgraded to even more on a flight on 6/16...it was a full flight might have been why.
Old Jun 21, 19, 8:45 am

I dont' believe it was ever a written policy. Ticket agents have offered it to me, although I usually use 500 miles at booking to reserve the seat. Thats just a few of those surveys for points.
Old Jun 24, 19, 11:52 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA 1K, BA Gold, AF Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Plat
I thought it was only at the gate that Mosaics can get free EMS upgrade. I'll try at the check-in desk tomorrow @ BOS. On a party of 3, I paid 2 EMS point upgrade (800 points RSW-BOS route) on a 3-3 configuration plane to block off the middle to save one free upgrade at the airport. I might even call the Mosaic desk to refund me the 1600 points paid last minute and get airport to assign all 3 EMS for free
Old Jun 24, 19, 1:17 pm
Company Representative - Autoslash

Originally Posted by ultrasoul View Post
I thought it was only at the gate that Mosaics can get free EMS upgrade. I'll try at the check-in desk tomorrow @ BOS. On a party of 3, I paid 2 EMS point upgrade (800 points RSW-BOS route) on a 3-3 configuration plane to block off the middle to save one free upgrade at the airport. I might even call the Mosaic desk to refund me the 1600 points paid last minute and get airport to assign all 3 EMS for free
If there are lots of EMS seats available, then the check-in agents will often bump you up. If EMS seats are scarce, they'll usually tell you to check with the gate agent.

While you can call and have your party downgraded to non-EMS, you are then taking the chance that those EMS seats will still be available when you check in. Remember, there could be other Mosaics on the flight who are looking to upgrade as well.
Old Jun 29, 19, 2:28 pm
myk

Programs: Hilton Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic
Originally Posted by ultrasoul View Post

this is pretty much what would get this actually shut down for all of us.

the way its been working is that if you really want/need EMS for a flight, you pay the points up front. If you don't care, and it looks empty - ask at the airport and you may or may not get them. If B6 sees people refunding EMS, and then asking for them at the airport and getting them...
Old Jun 30, 19, 8:01 am

Programs: Free agent
Yeah, that is definitely how an unspoken benefit gets terminated.

If you're a Mosaic, you should have enough points to upgrade to EMS ahead of time. It's a trivial mileage cost. In this case, less than $24 in miles for $210 worth of seats.
RWPrincess likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: