Is JetBlue usually late?

Old Jun 27, 2019, 9:42 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold, National Executive, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by tphuang
Fine, let's go with August of last year until April of this year. I picked August because that was when the pilot agreement got accepted. Is that long enough for the good folks here?
At JFK
B6 73.78%
All 77.61%

At BOS
B6 70.94%
All 73.59%

So they are a little worse than average, but nothing crazy. Keep in mind that a lot of their OTP initiatives have been launched recently, which is why I picked the more recent months.

And for DL, you do realize those numbers are for just mainline? It looks a lot worse when you look at 9E and other regionals.

And only recently has DL added enough flights at BOS for the gates to really be fully used and those June OTP numbers have been terrible.
According to the DOT, B6 still has the worst overall on-time performance of any airline for 2019. This includes endeavor, republic, envoy, PSA, skywest, mesa, and expressjet. DL maineline is number 1, DL overall is 3.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Traveler_boy_25
According to the DOT, B6 still has the worst overall on-time performance of any airline for 2019. This includes endeavor, republic, envoy, PSA, skywest, mesa, and expressjet. DL maineline is number 1, DL overall is 3.
Yes, but that's irrelevant since B6 doesn't fly out of ATL/DTW/MSP. They fly out of BOS/JFK which are 2 of the most congested airports in the country. Flyers in NYC are not going to care how on time DL is at ATL or SLC. People that fly JFK-LAX very often are going to care about OTP on that route as opposed to rest of the country.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Silver
Question

Yes, but that's irrelevant since B6 doesn't fly out of ATL/DTW/MSP.
Really? Last I checked they flew out of all 3 of those locations.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold, National Executive, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by RWPrincess
They do fly out of all 3 locations, and their on-time performance is extremely weak in ATL.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 10:49 am

Yes, but that's irrelevant since B6 doesn't fly out of ATL/DTW/MSP. They fly out of BOS/JFK which are 2 of the most congested airports in the country. Flyers in NYC are not going to care how on time DL is at ATL or SLC. People that fly JFK-LAX very often are going to care about OTP on that route as opposed to rest of the country.

I am confused on what is irrelevant since B6 does fly into and out of ATL, DTW and MSP. Also I am just citing the DOT facts, I am sorry if you find the official information irrelevant that B6 is consistently ranked last or second to last for on-time performance by the DOT.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by RWPrincess
Yes, they do fly to those 3 locations, but that's not their main operations. These airports where one legacy airlines dominate and have all the gate space with no airspace issues make easy for the main airline to run on time.

For JetBlue, what matters is how well it does on flight into/out of BOS and JFK. That's where it's compete for the customers. It doesn't matter to a Boston resident how on time Delta is out of ATL or how AA is out of DFW or how JetBlue is on MCO-LAX, he/she cares about JetBlue's performance out of BOS, especially on routes he/she flies on.

If a legacy airlines flies 70% of its operation out of fortress hub and are on time 85 to 90% out of them and then also flies 15% of its operation out of JFK/BOS and are on time 70 to 75%. It's nationwide otp might be around 85% still. If 75% of JetBlue's operation touch BOS/JFK and are on time 70-75%, then it's otp is going to be 73%. But to people out of JFK/BOS, that kind of OTP is fine and comparable to competitors.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 8:10 am

I am confused on what is irrelevant since B6 does fly into and out of ATL, DTW and MSP. Also I am just citing the DOT facts, I am sorry if you find the official information irrelevant that B6 is consistently ranked last or second to last for on-time performance by the DOT.
They do a total 19 flights out of those airports! Just read what I wrote. If that doesn't make things clear, I don't know what will. JetBlue only needs/can be competitive in term OTP with competitors on the routes it operates on. I don't know why it's so hard for you to understand.

When Delta is on time 90% time from ATL/DTW/MSP to airports other than JFK and BOS, it doesn't matter to the people flying out of JFK/BOS.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 8:16 am

They do a total 19 flights out of those airports! Just read what I wrote. If that doesn't make things clear, I don't know what will. JetBlue only needs/can be competitive in term OTP with competitors on the routes it operates on. I don't know why it's so hard for you to understand.

When Delta is on time 90% time from ATL/DTW/MSP to airports other than JFK and BOS, it doesn't matter to the people flying out of JFK/BOS.
I’m still so confused on why you’re so focused on only JFK/BOS. B6 also has other focus cities: FLL, MCO, LGB, and SJU. So if someone is a loyal B6 flyer and lived in one of those cities they would care about their OT performance there like MCO - LAX.

Also if someone is living in BOS/JFK they would probably care about an average of all B6 on time flights including BOS - ATL and JFK - FLL. Still after all factors B6 doesn’t have a good OTP.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 5:22 pm

I’m still so confused on why you’re so focused on only JFK/BOS. B6 also has other focus cities: FLL, MCO, LGB, and SJU. So if someone is a loyal B6 flyer and lived in one of those cities they would care about their OT performance there like MCO - LAX.

Also if someone is living in BOS/JFK they would probably care about an average of all B6 on time flights including BOS - ATL and JFK - FLL. Still after all factors B6 doesn’t have a good OTP.
For people living in other cities, b6 performance in those cities matter. Since the vast majority of their ff are in New York and Boston area, they mostly care about having a competitive on time performance here. They can be on time on every flight out of msp and they are not getting ff there.

Again, everything needs to be put into context. Where an airline flies out of has a huge impact on their otp.

Of course, if you are just looking to trash b6, you will completely ignore that.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 6:42 pm

For people living in other cities, b6 performance in those cities matter. Since the vast majority of their ff are in New York and Boston area, they mostly care about having a competitive on time performance here. They can be on time on every flight out of msp and they are not getting ff there.

Again, everything needs to be put into context. Where an airline flies out of has a huge impact on their otp.

Of course, if you are just looking to trash b6, you will completely ignore that.
I am not looking to trash any airline. I am simply stating the facts. The question asked about B6’s on time performance, and I answered with the DOT’s official statistics to back up my answer. If you choose not to agree or want to agree that’s fine.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 2:55 pm

I am not looking to trash any airline. I am simply stating the facts. The question asked about B6’s on time performance, and I answered with the DOT’s official statistics to back up my answer. If you choose not to agree or want to agree that’s fine.
You clearly are here to trash on them. The fact is where they fly out of matters. They are less on time than other airlines due to operating most of their flights from New York and Boston. If Delta was flying 75% of its flights from New York and Boston, it would have a really terrible OTP numbers also. That's just reality. And to people living in cities with B6 operation, their numbers are only slightly below average.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 3:21 pm

You clearly are here to trash on them. The fact is where they fly out of matters. They are less on time than other airlines due to operating most of their flights from New York and Boston. If Delta was flying 75% of its flights from New York and Boston, it would have a really terrible OTP numbers also. That's just reality. And to people living in cities with B6 operation, their numbers are only slightly below average.
No one knows what DL's on-time performance would be in BOS/JFK if 75% of their flights were out of there because that's not the case. DL has a heavy operation out of DTW and MSP both of which have just as bad if not worse weather than BOS/JFK, and DL still manages to have a high on-time performance. Once again, I am simply stating the DOT facts. It doesn't matter where they are flying into and out of the fact is they simply do not have a good on-time performance.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:40 am

No one knows what DL's on-time performance would be in BOS/JFK if 75% of their flights were out of there because that's not the case. DL has a heavy operation out of DTW and MSP both of which have just as bad if not worse weather than BOS/JFK, and DL still manages to have a high on-time performance. Once again, I am simply stating the DOT facts. It doesn't matter where they are flying into and out of the fact is they simply do not have a good on-time performance.
BOS and jfk have bad on time performance due to northeast air space congestion and runway limitations. Not due to weather. you don't seem to understand the basics of why certain airports have delay issues. We have Delta and their regional numbers for these airports and they are a lot lower than the rest of their operation. To people who are flying, it only matters the performance on the routes they fly. But since that will make delta look a lot worse, you refuse to admit that's what people care about.

The biggest blow up for New Yorkers is still the epic meltdown delta had a couple of years back when a storm passed by Atlanta and Delta operations was non existent for a while week.

And given your comments on the Houston thread, it seems like you are only on this forum to trash JetBlue and praise delta. That is really annoying.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 9:09 am

BOS and jfk have bad on time performance due to northeast air space congestion and runway limitations. Not due to weather. you don't seem to understand the basics of why certain airports have delay issues. We have Delta and their regional numbers for these airports and they are a lot lower than the rest of their operation. To people who are flying, it only matters the performance on the routes they fly. But since that will make delta look a lot worse, you refuse to admit that's what people care about.

The biggest blow up for New Yorkers is still the epic meltdown delta had a couple of years back when a storm passed by Atlanta and Delta operations was non existent for a while week.

And given your comments on the Houston thread, it seems like you are only on this forum to trash JetBlue and praise delta. That is really annoying.
I completely understand why certain airports have delay issues. Once again I am not trashing any airline, I am simply stating the DOT facts. It is really annoying that you refuse to accept those statistics--I am not arguing with you on this anymore.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 1:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

In the May 2019 DOT Air Traffic Consumer Report JetBlue ranked last, 10/10, for on-time arrivals with having only 73.8% of flights arrive on time. I would yes delays on JetBlue are very likely to occur.

The industry average among all 10 airlines was 80.9%.
The assertion that a 1 in 4 chance of a delay is "very likely" is a disservice to statistics.The vast majority of flights and passengers still arrive on time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.