Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Pepsi and Pouring: Changes coming to catering next month

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pepsi and Pouring: Changes coming to catering next month

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2019, 9:55 am

Was a "victim" of the change on Tuesday.

Ironically, I had just flown the PDX/JFK red-eye flight the day prior, where a couple of those small water bottles came in handy - as you'd expect on a transcontinental flight. Like most, I had mine tucked into the seatback pocket as I tried to sleep, taking an occasional chug as I was dried out by the cabin air. In light of the end of B6 serving water bottles, I'd guess those call buttons will be getting a workout on the longer flights....

So, flying down to Tampa on Tuesday, I asked for a bottle of water and was told, "no more water bottles." I was kind of miffed as I was handed my tall plastic cup (rather than the typical squat cup) of water, but not as miffed as my neighbors who also asked for water (and expressed the same concerns stated in this thread about the change).

Ironically, the person to my right who also got a cup of water (rather than a bottle), allowed her cup to slide down the tray table and into my lap. Fortunately, the cup only partially filled at that point. Half-jokingly we all agreed "This wouldn't have happened if that water was in a bottle." Of course, it could have just as easily been soda or some other sticky/staining drink - so, it could have been worse. The other culprit was the taller (rather than squatty) plastic cup, which - with its higher center of gravity - seemed to be more susceptible to sliding and tipping over than the cups used up until the day before.

So, not a fan of the changes (among others JetBlue has made in recent years) and I've expressed that to a customer rep already. Hopefully, others customers will do the same.

I told the rep, as someone who has flown B6 for the past 18 years, in large part due to the passenger experience, we are approaching the point where what separated the airline from others has narrowed significantly, not because competitors out of JFK (AA, Delta, etc.) have gotten better - but because B6 has chipped away at the aspects, the seemingly "little things," that made the airline unique in this market. I added I was once willing to spend $30-$50 more on a B6 flight, than a comparable American or Delta flight because of those differences, but my air fare decisions going forward will be based solely on price if JetBlue continues down this path.
RWPrincess likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Silver
I flew SWA on a 4 hour flight recently. We had 2 full beverage services, a water service and a casual beverage service where they came around asking if everyone was ok and needed anything. The water service consisted of them walking around with a tray full of cups of water. I cannot even imagine B6 doing anything remotely close to this. We'll be lucky to get the 2 full services on a transcon.

B6 also used to have the bottles and cans available in the galley on transcons. Sounds like that will only happen on Mint A321s now. Sad.

As for Pepsi Max, I pretty much see it anywhere I see Pepsi for sale. I didn't realize B6 didn't add that to the menu. I should go back and reread the email.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 11:23 pm

Programs: UR and MR
Been flying B6 for many years and only recently found out they have sparkling/seltzer water. Found out only because the guy ahead of me asked for it. This won't really change anything for me since they still offer it.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, AA Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
I’ve been told that small water bottles will still be available in the Pantry on the A321 Mint.
I can confirm they do still have mini water bottles in the pantry on Mint A321s. Absolutely crazy beverage service though, where many customers asked for bottles and FAs had to say "they'll be available shortly in the marketplace." The bottled water isn't even Aquafina (Pepsi's water brand), instead it's Niagara, which is often used for store brands. Oh yeah, Niagara also had a big recall a few years ago for E. Coli contamination in their bottled water. So two weeks ago we all had Coke products & Dasani bottles...what's my incentive to overspend for JetBlue nowadays? I guess just wifi now? Oh, Mint customers get Aquafina bottles though...
RWPrincess likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 8:40 am

It is clearly a cost-cutting exercise with the elimination of bottle waters.
Yesterday I was flying from Nantucket to JFK on a rough travel day. Service was suspended understandably but in the past, the F/A would at least pass out bottled waters as people board the plane, or had the time to quickly pass out the mini bottles before hitting the turbulence towards the last 30 minutes of the flight. It was a long 60 minutes flight yesterday and we were slowed down from the get go.

But on the non-even "inaugural" Westchester to Nantucket flight, we got the new service. The F/A did the full beverage and snack service on this short 38 minutes flight. I was not sure if they did it because it was sort of a special flight and the loading was on the light side.

However, the menu already reflects the new beverages and I got my first Diet Pepsi.

Carfield
RWPrincess likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 10:05 am

Programs: Free agent
I appreciate the second zoomed in photo very much.

I'm ready for this amazing experience in a week or two when I head south.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 8:09 am

I'll be curious to see if they run out of Pepsi over time. I know people can be brand loyal between Pepsi and Coca-Cola but in my opinion it's much worse between Diet Pepsi and Diet Coke. I can foresee people choosing regular Pepsi to avoid Diet Pepsi. I would love to hear from one of the FAs on here as to what they're seeing in-flight.

I've also noticed that T5 now sells 20 oz bottles of Aquafina as well. They never sold Dasani at T5.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by RWPrincess
I'll be curious to see if they run out of Pepsi over time. I know people can be brand loyal between Pepsi and Coca-Cola but in my opinion it's much worse between Diet Pepsi and Diet Coke. I can foresee people choosing regular Pepsi to avoid Diet Pepsi. I would love to hear from one of the FAs on here as to what they're seeing in-flight.

I've also noticed that T5 now sells 20 oz bottles of Aquafina as well. They never sold Dasani at T5.
I agree with you on the diet disparity. In my experience so far, they switch to water or seltzer. I have yet to run out of a single product other than ginger ale since the changeover.

-J.
RWPrincess likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:47 am

Well on the plus side, I saw photos of a321neo layout on a.net in the all core config and it has the market place like on mint. Pretty exciting stuff for non mint flight.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 9:42 am

Forgot to mention but I'm not crazy about the Niagara water either. I thought we were getting Aquafina.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by RWPrincess
Forgot to mention but I'm not crazy about the Niagara water either. I thought we were getting Aquafina.
Aquafina doesn’t make bottles of water that small. Now that PepsiCo is going to start selling canned Aquafina, I’m hoping they switch to that at some point.

-J.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 7:18 am

Called to make a flight change went from 11a flight to 7:50a flight on a B6 schedule change and when all finished and the customer service rep asked if there was anything else she could do I went ahead and asked for her to bring back Coke products.
Long pause then a laugh and she agreed that she would love to have Coke back on the plane as well but alas still Pepsi
RWPrincess likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 11:55 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
FAs made early announcements on our flights this week about the switch so folks wouldn't be shocked/upset/angry/confused by the choices as they walked the aisles.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GW McLintock

I agree with you on the diet disparity. In my experience so far, they switch to water or seltzer. I have yet to run out of a single product other than ginger ale since the changeover.
+1. In a restaurant, I'll just take tap water if they serve Diet Pepsi, they think they're getting a deal on the PEP products, but not if people don't buy high-margin beverages!

On an airplane where it's free anyway, frankly I'm not sure what I'd do. Probably still/bottled water as well, I don't like unsweetened sparkling water, even flavored.
That said, I might possibly go for a regular Pepsi, although I wouldn't want to be tempted to drink a whole 12oz can. Regular Pepsi is okay, but I'd rather not have the sugar (or HFCS really).
Old Jul 10, 2019, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by ijgordon
+1. In a restaurant, I'll just take tap water if they serve Diet Pepsi, they think they're getting a deal on the PEP products, but not if people don't buy high-margin beverages!

On an airplane where it's free anyway, frankly I'm not sure what I'd do. Probably still/bottled water as well, I don't like unsweetened sparkling water, even flavored.
That said, I might possibly go for a regular Pepsi, although I wouldn't want to be tempted to drink a whole 12oz can. Regular Pepsi is okay, but I'd rather not have the sugar (or HFCS really).
I tried the Diet Sierra Mist the other day. Poured out the can after one sip. Stuff is gross.

I like the current water. It tastes much better than Dasani. I’ll enjoy it while I can until they start using Aquafina.

-J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.