Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Pepsi and Pouring: Changes coming to catering next month

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pepsi and Pouring: Changes coming to catering next month

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, United 1K,
Originally Posted by viewfromthewindowseat
Loooool. Changing airlines because of a soda? That's pretty incredible.
Hilton got a few extra years — several hundred nights — out of me because Hilton had coke products while Marriott had Pepsi.

I did eventually shift to Marriott and got lifetime titanium though.
Old May 18, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
I wonder which uses more plastic, individual water bottles for every passenger, or disposable cups for every passenger, plus the larger water bottles used to fill them.
moulder3, octr202 and RWPrincess like this.
Old May 18, 2019, 7:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
How much do you want to bet B6 is going to stop giving out the full can to everyone and switch over to pours?
Traveler_boy_25 likes this.
Old May 19, 2019, 2:00 pm

Programs: Free agent
I would bet my whole points cache that they'll be there before the end of 2020 if not before.
Old May 19, 2019, 3:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Silver
I'm surprised this news took so long to break. I knew about it earlier this month and what I was told was pretty consistent with the internal email that went out a couple days ago.

Anyway, I don't drink a lot of soda onboard but as a Mosaic, I am also annoyed that this was done without any consideration for the most loyal. I also found the water bottles to be very beneficial on transcons from a health perspective. I've been on A320s with climate control issues and the extra water has been helpful to combat that. Note that I do also buy a bottle before boarding or bring my own but the smaller ones were very convenient during turbulence or if my tray was full already. I do also love Coke Zero so not having that option is annoying. And I don't think the Pepsi version is comparable.

I really hope they didn't sign a long term contract because I could see this having a negative impact long term as the preferred leisure travelers start to learn about this. There is a reason why stadiums switch to Pepsi and then switch back to Coke shortly after. It just doesn't work for the masses.

As for me, the Pepsi switch alone isn't enough to make me switch airlines but when I combine the switch with constant airplanes (all 3 types) with no functioning wifi and/or tv as well as a declining amount of overall customer service, I'm certainly watching Delta more closely this year. I'm also pretty sure Delta uses the XL cups at least on their flights.
Old May 20, 2019, 5:41 am

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by RWPrincess
I'm surprised this news took so long to break. I knew about it earlier this month and what I was told was pretty consistent with the internal email that went out a couple days ago.

Anyway, I don't drink a lot of soda onboard but as a Mosaic, I am also annoyed that this was done without any consideration for the most loyal. I also found the water bottles to be very beneficial on transcons from a health perspective. I've been on A320s with climate control issues and the extra water has been helpful to combat that. Note that I do also buy a bottle before boarding or bring my own but the smaller ones were very convenient during turbulence or if my tray was full already. I do also love Coke Zero so not having that option is annoying. And I don't think the Pepsi version is comparable.

I really hope they didn't sign a long term contract because I could see this having a negative impact long term as the preferred leisure travelers start to learn about this. There is a reason why stadiums switch to Pepsi and then switch back to Coke shortly after. It just doesn't work for the masses.

As for me, the Pepsi switch alone isn't enough to make me switch airlines but when I combine the switch with constant airplanes (all 3 types) with no functioning wifi and/or tv as well as a declining amount of overall customer service, I'm certainly watching Delta more closely this year. I'm also pretty sure Delta uses the XL cups at least on their flights.
I'm back to flying whoever is cheapest and direct out of the majors and JetBlue. I've been giving Delta quite a bit more business in the last 12 months. They're now consistently under B6 for flights to MSY and the cheap European Y fares are hard to beat. I can't bring myself to fly AA/BA TATL anymore with their substandard products.
RWPrincess likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 4:45 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
Pepsi, Coke, doesnt matter to me. After all I exclusively buy store brand soda anyway when at the grocery store. Big difference in Albertsons brand Cola 12 pack for 3 dollars as opposed to 12 pack of Coke or Pepsi for 6.

I know airlines get volume discounts so its not as expensive for them as it is for us to buy soda, but you think if an airline truly wanted to penny pinch they could get a volume discount on a store brand soda? We could all drink Sam's choice and Dr. Thunder lol
Old May 20, 2019, 11:08 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Marriott Plat., UA, NZ
Are they going to get rid of the "Marketplace" with self-serve drinks and snacks? This would be the biggest loss out of all this IMO. I don't drink much besides water and coffee, so it's nice to be able to just go up and get a bottle or two in flight. But... seems weird that they would go to large serving bottles for drink service but then keep the small bottles for self-serve.

I happened to call the Mosaic line today for something else and asked about this, but the agent didn't know.
Old May 22, 2019, 9:40 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by DAS02135
Hilton got a few extra years — several hundred nights — out of me because Hilton had coke products while Marriott had Pepsi.
I can't say I can identify with this level of enthusiasm for Coke, but I can understand not wanting to be stuck in a hotel with no food/drink options you like. Often there's no time or transportation to go get an alternative. (My pet peeve: hotels that don't have any options without sugar or caffeine, except for still water.)

In an airport, though? At even the smallest airports you're going to pass several places that'll sell you a bottle of Coke on the way to the plane, if it really matters that much.

Originally Posted by BbTrumpet
Are they going to get rid of the "Marketplace" with self-serve drinks and snacks? This would be the biggest loss out of all this IMO. I don't drink much besides water and coffee, so it's nice to be able to just go up and get a bottle or two in flight. But... seems weird that they would go to large serving bottles for drink service but then keep the small bottles for self-serve.
I've never gone up to get a drink from the Marketplace -- but how do they handle coffee today? If they can do self-service coffee from carafes, they can presumably do self-service water from large bottles.
Old May 22, 2019, 11:26 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Marriott Plat., UA, NZ
The coffee isn't self-serve, it's either brewed Dunkin in economy or the Nespresso machine in Mint, both of which you have to ask for (which is fine). I can't see them putting self-service water in the Marketplace, firstly it's a small fridge, but I think people would either spill it or just take the whole big bottle back to their seat. We shall see...

Maybe @sbm12 has some insights on the financials of the Coke-Pepsi swap? Would be interesting to know.
Old May 26, 2019, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
I always travel with a refillable water bottle. Just fill it before you get on the plane. Much more environmentally friendly.
Old May 27, 2019, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by moulder3
Well this news really sucks! I can't even count the number of times that Coke Zero has saved me. Mostly on red-eyes when I needed to be alert for meetings and as a great mixer.

At the very least Jetblue should carry Pepsi Max--Pepsi's (lesser) Coke Zero knock-off. Until they do, all of my overnight flights will be going to another airline.

What a major decision to make without even polling Mosaic members. I thought JetBlue was smarter with customer service than announcing like this...
I'm the total opposite. I much prefer Pepsi to Coke.
Air Houston likes this.
Old May 27, 2019, 5:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by Redhead
I always travel with a refillable water bottle. Just fill it before you get on the plane. Much more environmentally friendly.
Just because you do does not mean the rest of us have to.
Old May 28, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by DCP2016
Just because you do does not mean the rest of us have to.
All of us have to share this planet and all of us should have an interest in preserving it for future generations. Just because some of you are selfish doesn't mean the rest of us have to be. I would love to see single-use plastics banned
Old May 28, 2019, 8:14 pm

How about Express Service?

What will happen to the Express service on some of the short routes between New York and Nantucket/Martha's Vineyard?
They used to just hand out bottled waters because of the short flying time.

Carfield
RWPrincess likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.