Gate checking a bag with a connection?

Old Mar 7, 19, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Gate checking a bag with a connection?

Hi everyone, I have limited experience with JetBlue but I am trying to help a family member. She is about to fly on an itinerary that takes her through FLL. Her carry on meets the size requirements. However, on her way to her destination, it fit fine on the first plane, but the 2nd plane was an E190 and it did not fit. She had to gate check it and picked it up in baggage claim in her destination.

On her way back it will be reversed - her first flight is an E190 connecting in FLL to an A320. What will happen if she again needs to gate check the bag when she gets to the E190? Will it go to baggage claim in FLL? Will it get checked through to her destination?

Thanks for any help!
Old Mar 7, 19, 1:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It will be checked to her final ticketed destination.
Old Mar 7, 19, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
It will be checked to her final ticketed destination.
Thanks. On American E190s in the past I just picked it up in the jetway where you would pick up strollers and wheelchairs.
Old Mar 7, 19, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by o2bmmw View Post
Thanks. On American E190s in the past I just picked it up in the jetway where you would pick up strollers and wheelchairs.
With the way some of the GAs are going, do suggest she listen very carefully to the agent to make sure they are not just doing a valet check to the next destination and not a bag check to the final destination. Even if they have done it one way a half dozen times, it could still be switched up this one time. Hate to have the bag sitting on a jetway half way home.
Old Mar 7, 19, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! Is that the right terminology? Valet check means it gets off with her at the next airport and gate check may be all the way to her final airport?
Old Mar 7, 19, 6:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I'm not certain, but I don't think that B6 does valet check.

Nonetheless, make sure to ask the GA the specific question and also make sure to double-check the baggage tag while standing in front of the GA.
Old Mar 8, 19, 7:17 am

Delete

Last edited by Brighton Line; Mar 8, 19 at 7:23 am Reason: wrong forum
Old Mar 13, 19, 2:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Silver, D23 Charter Member, JetBlue Mosaic
Originally Posted by o2bmmw View Post
I gate checked my bag on an AA E190 earlier this month and it went straight to the carousel

Search this Thread