Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

B6 finally to announce European routes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

B6 finally to announce European routes?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2019, 7:17 am

LCY Runway at 5K feet is too short for a 321, doesn't BA do a 318 into LCY TATL but it can't do westbound due to the winds?
The planes aren't even built yet, I will take a wait and see attitude.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 7:28 am

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by Brighton Line
LCY Runway at 5K feet is too short for a 321, doesn't BA do a 318 into LCY TATL but it can't do westbound due to the winds?
The planes aren't even built yet, I will take a wait and see attitude.
They fly the Babybus 318 to Shannon and then over to JFK. It's direct from JFK->LCY
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
A. They will have a differentiated product. Isn't that the whole point of this exercise? If they were going to be flying beat up 747s with no leg room they would be BA...lol

B. As they have mentioned many, many times, they are not a connecting airline. Very few people connect and having a narrow body flying on a very busy route is not the same as having an A380. They may get a connecting passenger but they are not planning on that. The routes will succeed or fail with O/D traffic. They are not doing route planning/profitability studies looking to get somebody from SMF to LON. That would be crazy.
I disagree with you on the connections. I am shortly moving to the Fort Myers area (RSW) and flights are notoriously expensive out of RSW for no good reason, so you always have to check Tampa or Fort Lauderdale departures. I anticipate having to make a number of trips to the UK in the coming years and checking Delta for connections (Atlanta) from RSW to London they always seem to be significantly higher than if you fly from Fort Lauderdale connecting in Atlanta. However, JetBlue flies to New York and Boston from RSW and I would be looking to connect to their London flights because I am sure that they will be cheaper than Delta. I am sure that their are other locations that have higher than expected fares for connections on the three main airlines.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by godfreyb
I disagree with you on the connections. I am shortly moving to the Fort Myers area (RSW) and flights are notoriously expensive out of RSW for no good reason, so you always have to check Tampa or Fort Lauderdale departures. I anticipate having to make a number of trips to the UK in the coming years and checking Delta for connections (Atlanta) from RSW to London they always seem to be significantly higher than if you fly from Fort Lauderdale connecting in Atlanta. However, JetBlue flies to New York and Boston from RSW and I would be looking to connect to their London flights because I am sure that they will be cheaper than Delta. I am sure that their are other locations that have higher than expected fares for connections on the three main airlines.
You would be icing on the cake but they are not starting these flights to transport connecting passengers that are just looking for the cheapest option. They are going to be making/losing money on these flights by selling O/D Mint seats and catering to passengers in BOS/JFK.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: TK E/*G, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Platinum
Ethiad has a few extra LHR slots that they just took back from Jet. Could make sense if Ethiad decides to lease them out again as opposed to sell them, but I'd imagine they will be looking into the latter first considering how cash strapped they are. Wouldn't really make sense for Jetblue to shell out ~$75m per slot at this point.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 7:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dtremit
They do already have two paths to Mosaic -- $5k base, or 30 segments + $4k base. (Given the numbers they released today, it sounds like 30 segments is above average, which sort of surprised me.) Increasing the revenue-only qualifying rules while leaving the segments+revenue number alone might thread the needle.
FWIW, the cash+segments option was not part of the original Mosaic plan. It was added in as an option to acknowledge that some pax will spend a lot more time than money with the carrier. But with fares increasing and the relatively low spend threshold I guess it didn't matter much.
Originally Posted by dtremit
I also think it's interesting that they (separately) mentioned leaving money on the table with Blue Flex and other upfare options. I'm sure it's unintentional, but nearly all their auxiliary sources of revenue -- Blue Plus and Flex fares, the JetBlue card benefits, JetBlue Vacations -- are pointless for business travelers who actually earn Mosaic by flying.
Blue Flex was always a bad value proposition. But they needed to get to market. That one didn't work so they'll try something else. Not the end of the world. And it was never targeted at the Mosaic pax. It was more about a leisure customer who needed the extra bags.
Originally Posted by bennos
Is it weird that they'd announce service to London without announcing the airports? Presumably this means they haven't concluded any slot procurement transactions. Given that all LON airports (LHR, LGW, LCY, LTN, STN) are Level 3 coordinated does that make this announcement premature?
Yes and know. Especially considering that the first hint/announcement was in 2017.

They're fighting for LHR slots and can get something else if that falls through. But they have to announce to Wall Street the conversion of the order to the LR so from there the rest of the news flows. And the lead time is ~18 months from Airbus, hence the timing of the announcement. Also, the company has scored millions of dollars worth of free media coverage by teasing this out the past few years and that will continue right through the launch. It is mildly annoying for us in that we knew it was coming and want it to happen already. But for the company the years of free ad time is a major win.

Originally Posted by hi55us
It looks like Jet Blue is wading into this market with a cautious approach. Rather then a rollout in the summer of 2020, they went with the slow and cautious rollout schedule in 2021.
They couldn't get the planes fast enough for summer 2020. Plus, they've been very clear that getting the A220 into service was way more important than launching Europe. They REALLY need to make the A220 a smooth transition and it is already a little delayed from the initial expectation.

Originally Posted by hi55us
Some things I think Jet Blue needs to do to differentiate is making connections easier at Boston and JFK. They shouldn't be focusing on these flights as BOS/JFK-LGW flights, which are super competitive. They should be focusing on the business traveler flying JAX-JFK-LGW.
Nope. JetBlue is something like 75%+ O/D pax rather than connections. And that's not changing any time soon, even with the Europe service.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Sinter
Ethiad has a few extra LHR slots that they just took back from Jet. Could make sense if Ethiad decides to lease them out again as opposed to sell them, but I'd imagine they will be looking into the latter first considering how cash strapped they are. Wouldn't really make sense for Jetblue to shell out ~$75m per slot at this point.
The slots are owned by Eithad and the were leased to Jet. The paid Jet $70m for them 5 or so years ago. so $20m odd per slot (though some more valuable than others)

On another blog the times of the slot pairs were listed as as follows (A = arrive LHR, D = Depart)

A 05:45 D 08:30
A 16:55 D 20:20
A 17:20 D 19:45

For a 16.55 / 17.20 arrival at LHR it would mean an approx 5 AM departure from the US (7 hr flight and 5 hr time difference). That may not be an attractive offer to many people no matter the airline!
Old Apr 15, 2019, 9:51 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
On connections, B6's software couldn't connect dots if its life depended on it. In my experience, the pricing is erratic, baggage rights don't get carried through smoothly even on a normal reservation, etc. Also, if you have to call to get the system to behave properly, you don't get the +3 points for using the website...well, at least in my experience.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
OT but related

Watched an episode of Bosch last night where the villains were announced as having "taken a Jet Blue flight from Los Angeles to Dubai"!
Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
On connections, B6's software couldn't connect dots if its life depended on it. In my experience, the pricing is erratic, baggage rights don't get carried through smoothly even on a normal reservation, etc. Also, if you have to call to get the system to behave properly, you don't get the +3 points for using the website...well, at least in my experience.
is it really that bad to buy separate tickets though? Personally, I buy separate tickets all the time, but I also don't check in luggage.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 5:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by tphuang
is it really that bad to buy separate tickets though? Personally, I buy separate tickets all the time, but I also don't check in luggage.
Depends on the trip. End-on-end pricing can be significantly more expensive in some cases, depending on the fare filings.

I remain both baffled and amused that JetBlue has two different systems for building the itineraries, one for the main website and one for BlueInc and just how differently they perform at delivering connecting itineraries. But when 80% of your traffic is non-stop the motivation to fix the process for the other 20% can be understandably limited.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain
They fly the Babybus 318 to Shannon and then over to JFK. It's direct from JFK->LCY
That is correct! They have stop in SNN to get refuel the plane. They had go through US Preclearance facility and then they continue the flight to JFK.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
The big question for me is will JetBlue put in a lounge in time for this service commencement?...

Between the SFO,LAX,LAS and Caribbean service with the addition of LHR they should be able to support a full time mint lounge. Maybe add Mosaic access with use of 1,000-2,000 points... Something to keep droves away but also keep it profitable. Ballpark 500 people at $25 (built in the fees or redemption value) 12.5K a day in revenue for a small lounge seems fair enough.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 7:14 pm

Programs: Free agent
I doubt that they would add a lounge before the planned expansion of JFK. The Airspace Lounge closed last year and was pretty terrible every time I visited. Aside from that space, I'm not even sure where they could stick a lounge in T5 without doing a whole lot of work.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:07 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
They could probably put in a small lounge on the unused half of the wooftop.
caliform likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.