My 1st OPUP

Old Feb 27, 19, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

My 1st OPUP

really the 2nd one was better. 1st one was from a reg seat to a MoreSpace seat day of at checkin counter (due to being a Mosaic) seems if any MS seats are avaialble day of they will Upgrade a Mosaic for $0 (to LAX)

for my return flight flight I was offered a MS seat again at checkin but window, had an aisle in reg row and thought Id have more room by lifting the armrest. At the gate I asked if the MS seat had anyone in the middle seat, was told no but that it can change, thought for a moment and took the MS window seat. Turns out a few mins later then announced the flight is full and saying its best for those in the last group to gate check their carry-on for $0 now. Then she pages me to come to the counter. Great I thought they took back my MS seat, they did! but handed me a BP for a Mint seat instead, all on a award tkt booked for 6300 pts - 630 for the CC

too bad they dont fly to Europe or Asia
RWPrincess likes this.
Old Feb 27, 19, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by craz View Post
really the 2nd one was better. 1st one was from a reg seat to a MoreSpace seat day of at checkin counter (due to being a Mosaic) seems if any MS seats are avaialble day of they will Upgrade a Mosaic for $0 (to LAX)

for my return flight flight I was offered a MS seat again at checkin but window, had an aisle in reg row and thought Id have more room by lifting the armrest. At the gate I asked if the MS seat had anyone in the middle seat, was told no but that it can change, thought for a moment and took the MS window seat. Turns out a few mins later then announced the flight is full and saying its best for those in the last group to gate check their carry-on for $0 now. Then she pages me to come to the counter. Great I thought they took back my MS seat, they did! but handed me a BP for a Mint seat instead, all on a award tkt booked for 6300 pts - 630 for the CC

too bad they dont fly to Europe or Asia
Wow I don't think I've ever heard of them upgrading Mosaics to Mint like that
Old Feb 27, 19, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Vincent Zuo View Post
Wow I don't think I've ever heard of them upgrading Mosaics to Mint like that
probably had to do with the fact that the plane ended up being soldout out completely (seems they say its a full flight if its 90%+ full, since they said that about my Outbound flight that ended up with a bunch of empty middle seats in the reg seats). also a handful of the flights were apx 2 hrs delayed, so could be folks who checked in for the flight after mine were able to switch to my flight. My flight was 2 hrs delayed but by the time I got to the airport the delayed flight before mine was soldout , guess those booked on mine who got there early jumped onto that delayed flight, which departed 5 mins after my was suppose to

My point is I doubt they would have UPOPed me to Mint if there were seats that were gonna be empty in the back
Old Feb 28, 19, 7:59 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic
Wow, that is a very rare data point. Hope you enjoyed the ride up front!

Here's hoping they get the 321LR outfitted to go to London/Dublin.
Old Apr 21, 19, 7:16 am

Programs: CBP Global Entry, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz PC
Just got an OPUP to Mint as well! Mosaic, checked in pretty early at the desk, got bumped to EMS middle seat. I was perfectly happy because it was row 6 (infinite leg room).

when I boarded the plane, they handed me a Mint BP and said, “Happy Easter!” What a treat.

flight seemed close to if not entirely full
RWPrincess likes this.
Old Apr 24, 19, 9:54 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium / LTG, HHonors Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Nat'l Exec
I wonder if this means B6 is overselling Core more frequently on Mint routes?

I am on plenty of flights where Core passengers end up upgraded to EMS at the last minute, but we've seen so few reports of op-ups to Mint that I assumed JetBlue didn't overbook past EMS on those planes.
Old Apr 25, 19, 1:16 am

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
They don't oversell. The only time that an overbooking would occur is when there's IRROPS causing a previous flight to cancel or people to misconnect.

They will also op-up if there are nonrevs on standby that either haven't listed for Mint or are ineligible to list for Mint. A few months ago, JetBlue changed their Mint nonrev priority, which should have reduced the amount of Mint op-ups.
RWPrincess likes this.
Old Apr 25, 19, 9:54 am

I got an OpUp to Mint this past January from an EMS seat on a completely full flight. It was a $100.00 ticket (originally SJC->JFK on the old A320) I'd purchased and had done a same-day-change onto the flight from SFO.

Got notified of a seat change in the app on my way to the airport and the Apple Wallet boarding pass refreshed with the new seat highlighted (nice touch.)
RWPrincess likes this.
Old Apr 26, 19, 8:28 am

Programs: MR LT(!)TE, DL DM (sigh) MM(!), HTZ PC, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by diburning View Post
They don't oversell.
B6 could overbook Core without overbooking the plane if they think Mint won't sell out. Indeed, this is what they should do if they aren't already, as it really has no downside. (No chance of IDB, some lucky person gets a much nicer seat than they booked, incremental revenue for the company.)

The tricky part would be when to decide that Mint won't sell but Core will.
Old Apr 26, 19, 10:05 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic
I would rather JetBlue never, ever, ever start deliberately overbooking flights. The dumpster fire of IDB/VDB issues is a nightmare.
BbTrumpet and RWPrincess like this.
Old Apr 27, 19, 12:49 am

2019 Secret Santa

Originally Posted by bennos View Post
B6 could overbook Core without overbooking the plane if they think Mint won't sell out. Indeed, this is what they should do if they aren't already, as it really has no downside. (No chance of IDB, some lucky person gets a much nicer seat than they booked, incremental revenue for the company.)

The tricky part would be when to decide that Mint won't sell but Core will.
They could, but they also won't, to protect the integrity of the Mint product. This is why they don't do complimentary Mosaic upgrades. The average CASM on the Mint A321 works out to where the flight can still be profitable even if Mint goes out empty, and the Core cabin isn't completely full. So, employee nonrevs get to sit in Mint if they specifically list for it. The strange thing is, most employees don't list for it, because they probably didn't get the memo about the recent change (prior to the change, there was a specific process for employees to nonrev in Mint, and this process actually put them ahead of op-ups in the past. I'm not sure about the hierarchy now.)
Old May 19, 19, 3:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Silver, D23 Charter Member, JetBlue Mosaic
Originally Posted by diburning View Post
They could, but they also won't, to protect the integrity of the Mint product. This is why they don't do complimentary Mosaic upgrades. The average CASM on the Mint A321 works out to where the flight can still be profitable even if Mint goes out empty, and the Core cabin isn't completely full. So, employee nonrevs get to sit in Mint if they specifically list for it. The strange thing is, most employees don't list for it, because they probably didn't get the memo about the recent change (prior to the change, there was a specific process for employees to nonrev in Mint, and this process actually put them ahead of op-ups in the past. I'm not sure about the hierarchy now.)
I was under the impression that non-revs still had to pay a small fee to sit in Mint. Is that no longer the case?

As much as I don't agree with them not upgrading Mosaics for free, I would have gladly paid 6300 points for a last minute upgrade. I'm pleasantly surprised to hear they were able to do that. I was recently on a substituted Mint plane on a non-Mint route and the Mint section was closed due to the crew not being Mint certified. There were several Mosaics on the flight who inquired about sitting there and everyone was told no. I get it but it was still weird seeing the section go out empty.
Old May 19, 19, 6:48 pm

2019 Secret Santa

It is no longer the case. Employee nonrevs still have to list separately for Mint, but there's no fee as of last fall. After asking around, there was no change to the priority. Nonrevs listed for Mint still come before op-ups unless there are no nonrevs in core and core is full, but they have revenue standby passengers. The criteria for op-ups has not changed.

Last edited by diburning; May 19, 19 at 7:40 pm

Search this Thread