Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Jetblue 24 Hour Cancellation Policy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2019, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

I will be flying either either delta or jetblue and have flown them with them many times. Delta has this policy where you can cancel up to 24 hours even if your flight is less than 7 days away. I know jetblue requires your flight to be at least 7 days apart in order if you want to cancel it.

If i were book a ticket at say 9pm central time on jetblue site, what time exactly till i have tomorrow to cancel free of charge? Is it 24 hours? Or is it a few hours more than that because of the midnight?

Now if i were to book a flight after midnight say 1am central time, I can only cancel till 12am meaning 24 hours? Or does booking a flight after midnight means i have almost 48 hours? Such that you book it September 3 at say 1am.
You can cancel up till September 4 at 12am or September 5 at 12am?
Old Sep 3, 2019, 2:57 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
24 hours from when the reservation is ticketed.
AutoSlash and Often1 like this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 7:44 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Note that you can book with Priceline and get up to 96 hours to cancel.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 8:12 am

It is technically 24 hours but when I have cancelled with Jetblue in the past I've found that they give you until 11:59pm the next day, so 24 hours+.
Theoretically, if you book at 9pm you'll have 27 hours.IF you book at 12:01, you'll basically have 48 hours!
Old Sep 3, 2019, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alegeeter
It is technically 24 hours but when I have cancelled with Jetblue in the past I've found that they give you until 11:59pm the next day, so 24 hours+.
Theoretically, if you book at 9pm you'll have 27 hours.IF you book at 12:01, you'll basically have 48 hours!

Are you sure about this? I called jetblue recently and they told me its 24 hours from the time you book it online... so whether you do it at 11pm today or 1am the following day, you only get 24 hours.

So they are incorrect?
Old Sep 3, 2019, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AutoSlash

Can you explain how you can do that? Im guessing its similar to orbitz with the weekend thing?
Old Sep 3, 2019, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by jerry90210
Can you explain how you can do that? Im guessing its similar to orbitz with the weekend thing?
All of the details are in the linked blog post above. There is a link to cancel in the original confirmation email you receive. You have until 11:30 PM ET of the next business day after booking, which, if you book on a Friday at 12:01 AM ET, gives you until Monday night at 11:30 PM ET. I just used this functionality this past weekend in fact.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 11:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
All of the details are in the linked blog post above. There is a link to cancel in the original confirmation email you receive. You have until 11:30 PM ET of the next business day after booking, which, if you book on a Friday at 12:01 AM ET, gives you until Monday night at 11:30 PM ET. I just used this functionality this past weekend in fact.

Hi i just took a look at the link you posted. Okay so if you book a flight on wednesday say 1am eastern time, then you have like almost 48 hours to cancel it then right?

Also can anyone else who book directly through jetblue tell me if the policy is 24 hours or is it the following day before midnight? Seem to be getting conflicting answers on this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 6:16 am

The website may let you do it when booking a ticket for cash, but when booking an award ticket, I've gotten pushback from agents if I call more than 24 hours from the ticketing date/time. Award tickets don't seem to be able to be canceled online, so you have no choice but to call on those (which is annoying).
Old Sep 4, 2019, 6:53 am

Award tickets are a pain, had a schedule change of more than 2.5 hours earlier and they had to put me on hold and call another department to change an award flight. Took a long time but they did it.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by Brighton Line
Award tickets are a pain, had a schedule change of more than 2.5 hours earlier and they had to put me on hold and call another department to change an award flight. Took a long time but they did it.
Jetblue's terrible IT is (somewhat) mitigated by their helpful agents. Frankly though, I wish the damn website would just work so I didn't have to talk to them in the first place.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 11:01 am

Are you sure about this? I called jetblue recently and they told me its 24 hours from the time you book it online... so whether you do it at 11pm today or 1am the following day, you only get 24 hours.

So they are incorrect?
I am sure because I have done it several times. I'm not sure about calling but when I cancel online they do it by date, not date and time. The rep you speak with is probably just stating their policy word for word but their computer systems give a little more breathing room. Try it online and see. Before you confirm the cancellation it shows you that you'll be refunded.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

Okay got a question to this. I tried to book a ticket last night after midnight... but i could not do it online. I got an error when doing it on jetblue site. I called them and spoke to a rep and they spoke to their manager and after like 20 minutes or so, they booked it for me through their system. I asked them how long can i cancel and they said 24 hours from now. So they are incorrect? I did this around 2am last night on September 4.

When i check my jetblue account now, where is option to cancel? Is it cancel itinerary? So do i only have few hours to do it or I have till tomorrow? I did it last night around 2am.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alegeeter

When was the last time you did this?

So if you can still cancel, it will tell you no fees charged right? But if its after the time you are allowed to cancel, it would show a fee?

I went to click on cancel itinerary and the message shows your cancellation is within 24 hours of booking and is eligible for a full refund.. bottom of page allows you to cancel flight. So are you sure its more than 24 hours? I only have about 2 hours or so since it was booked.

Also is it allowed to cancel it within 24 hours, then if you see the fare is there still, then book it again immediately to get another 24 hours etc?

I ask this because im not sure exactly what date i want to fly yet but its only between certain days.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 1:34 am

It's an ARC rule, so any US based TA could be that generous.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.