Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

What is the proper compensation for this type of entertainment system failure?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold

I had a flight SJU-FLL on Jan.2 and the entertainment system for the entire plane was out for the whole flight. I emailed B6 and their reply said "We issue a $15 travel credit to each of our customers in accordance with our Bill of Rights and as a gesture of our apology."
I double checked their Bill of Rights and it states, "If their system is inoperable on flights in the continental U.S, customers are entitled to a $15 Credit good for future travel on JetBlue."

This flight originated in SJU which is not part of the continental U.S. and when I pointed this out to their customer service department they answered, "Flights to and/or from destinations outside the contiguous U.S. operate beyond the DIRECTV and SiriusXM Radio coverage areas and as a result, these services are not always available. Free movies are offered on these routes, time permitting. Although our Bill of Rights does not provide for compensation of inoperable entertainment on these flights, we're pleased to see you were issued a $15 service credit for this inconvenience."

It sounds to me like they are ignoring the issue as I couldn't even view a free movie as their system was not functioning. Has anyone ever received more than $15 for a issue like this where the flight originated outside the continental US?
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:01 pm

The planes for SJU-FLL and BQN-FLL feel like the OLDEST planes in the fleet. It is a quick hop so I don't usually mind but I'm sure it was an annoyance to not have the entertainment.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
I had a flight SJU-FLL on Jan.2 and the entertainment system for the entire plane was out for the whole flight. I emailed B6 and their reply said "We issue a $15 travel credit to each of our customers in accordance with our Bill of Rights and as a gesture of our apology."
I double checked their Bill of Rights and it states, "If their system is inoperable on flights in the continental U.S, customers are entitled to a $15 Credit good for future travel on JetBlue."

This flight originated in SJU which is not part of the continental U.S. and when I pointed this out to their customer service department they answered, "Flights to and/or from destinations outside the contiguous U.S. operate beyond the DIRECTV and SiriusXM Radio coverage areas and as a result, these services are not always available. Free movies are offered on these routes, time permitting. Although our Bill of Rights does not provide for compensation of inoperable entertainment on these flights, we're pleased to see you were issued a $15 service credit for this inconvenience."

It sounds to me like they are ignoring the issue as I couldn't even view a free movie as their system was not functioning. Has anyone ever received more than $15 for a issue like this where the flight originated outside the continental US?
Had an inoperable IFE on AUA-FLL a while back, got $15 credit.
I don't think you should get caught up on the "Continental US" part, that's mostly a leftover from other IFE terms that only work in continental US. If you flew FLL-LIM or something similar it might make some sense to push back, but at/under 3h it's just like a Northeast-FL route.
TL;DR broken IFE on B6 = $15 service credit.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by klanfa
Had an inoperable IFE on AUA-FLL a while back, got $15 credit.
I don't think you should get caught up on the "Continental US" part, that's mostly a leftover from other IFE terms that only work in continental US. If you flew FLL-LIM or something similar it might make some sense to push back, but at/under 3h it's just like a Northeast-FL route.
TL;DR broken IFE on B6 = $15 service credit.
Then B6 should update their bill of rights.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Silver
I think $15 is sufficient. This really should have been automatic for the entire plane but sometimes the FAs don't submit it. If you're not having any luck via phone, try tweeting them.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA Mileage-Plus, AA Advantage, DL SkyMiles,

I suggest you email them back with your recommend edits to their bill of rights to help prevent this confusion for passengers in the future who do not have tablets, phones, or books to keep them occupied.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 4:02 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Sounds like they have a guarantee for Continental flights
Sounds like they don't have a guarantee for non-Continental flights.

I think you got lucky and I wouldn't push it or they'd have the right to take it back.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rufftackle

I suggest you email them back with your recommend edits to their bill of rights to help prevent this confusion for passengers in the future who do not have tablets, phones, or books to keep them occupied.
Not everyone uses a tablet, phone, or reads a book while on a plane. In addition there are children that need to stay occupied and the entertainment system's programing for kids serves that purpose. They already know they need to correct their bill of rights and the average person would simply accept $15 and call it a day.

I have already sent them several emails telling them that their bill of rights needs to be updated for travel outside the continental US.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Sounds like they have a guarantee for Continental flights
Sounds like they don't have a guarantee for non-Continental flights.

I think you got lucky and I wouldn't push it or they'd have the right to take it back.
Do I look scared of losing their $15 credit?
Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:46 pm

They don't have to. They are very clear on their website and everywhere it mentions the DirecTV service that it will not work on international flights. It makes sense that they don't offer compensation on these flights, and that's why it does not offer compensation for inop IFE on them. That's what the bill of rights says. But I don't understand what you were expecting. You think that you should get more money for a 2 and a half hour flight from SJU-FLL than I get when the IFE is inop on my 6 hour 45 minute flight FLL-SFO???
Old Jan 20, 2019, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aviators99
They don't have to. They are very clear on their website and everywhere it mentions the DirecTV service that it will not work on international flights. It makes sense that they don't offer compensation on these flights, and that's why it does not offer compensation for inop IFE on them. That's what the bill of rights says. But I don't understand what you were expecting. You think that you should get more money for a 2 and a half hour flight from SJU-FLL than I get when the IFE is inop on my 6 hour 45 minute flight FLL-SFO???
My issue was not the Direct TV but the fact you couldn't even see a movie. I have flown this route before and when flying over water you can always watch movies which the last time I checked is still part of the entertainment system.

By the way, the length of the flight has nothing to do with the issue at hand but thank you for pointing out the time needed to fly FLL-SFO. .
Old Jan 20, 2019, 9:39 am

My issue was not the Direct TV but the fact you couldn't even see a movie. I have flown this route before and when flying over water you can always watch movies which the last time I checked is still part of the entertainment system.

By the way, the length of the flight has nothing to do with the issue at hand but thank you for pointing out the time needed to fly FLL-SFO. .
Obviously you can't "always" watch movies, since you weren't able to. The wording on the website and other places talking about the IFE may be slightly ambiguous when it comes to the pre-recorded movies, but the most favorable reading for you would be for you to get the $15, which it seems like you did. I'm not sure what more you want. What is "the issue at hand"?
Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
That route typically sells for about $110 each way. What percentage of $110 would be for IFE? Frankly, $15 seems generous.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 12:39 pm

However ... on January 2nd, no way was this ticket only $110. That is a premium flying day and you pay for it.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 12:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Let’s say it was $200. What percentage would be IFE?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.