Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying tix, new to mosaic

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2019, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Buying tix, new to mosaic

Our family of 3 wants to purchas roundtrip tickets, one way with mint seats. We don’t have enough points to cover us all. What’s the best way to do this if we have enough to cover regular seats one way and one mint the other way. Is there a disadvantage to 2 of us being on one reservation paying cash and the third using points? If I’m the mosaic, should I be the solo ticket or is it better to have my ticket with the other family member? I guess I’m thinking of any perks like baggage, priority seating,etc. we do have a jetblue cc that gives us free checked baggage so maybe it doesn’t matter? Thanks for any help
Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:21 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

It's better for you as the Mosaic to be on with another person as you and your companion on the same itinerary will both get free checked bags, which means a total of 4 for free. While it's true that as a JetBlue cardholder you get a free checked bag, I'm not certain if that benefit is only for the primary cardholder or if it extends to any additional cardholders as well, so that's something to consider.

Also, keep in mind that any other benefits for Mosaics like Even More Speed and comp upgrades to EMS seats will only extend to the passenger(s) on the same itin as the Mosaic member, although I'm sure you wouldn't get any pushback for priority boarding. Then again, if we're talking about paid Mint here, the seating/boarding is basically a non-issue.

Last edited by AutoSlash; Jan 12, 2019 at 2:48 pm
Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
It's better for you as the Mosaic to be on with another person as you and your companion on the same itinerary will both get free checked bags, which means a total of 4 for free. While it's true that a JetBlue cardholder you get a free checked bag, I'm not certain if that benefit is only for the primary cardholder or if it extends to any additional cardholder as well, so that's something to consider.

Also, keep in mind that any other benefits for Mosaics like Even More Speed and comp upgrades to EMS seats will only extend to the passenger(s) on the same itin as the Mosaic member, although I'm sure you wouldn't get any pushback for priority boarding. Then again, if we're talking about paid Mint here, the seating/boarding is basically a non-issue.
Thanks so much Autoslash. So I’m thinking all of us together using points in coach one way, then like you said, we can all upgrade to EMS if we decide to. Then the other tix in mint I will put myself on same itinerary as one other and pay cash for the solo mint seat, We won’t check more than 4 bags so I think that will work out good. Only downside is the solo ticket won’t be able to cancel or change without fees, right? Hmmm...maybe not a good idea then. That was best perk of mosaic for me. I wish we could all be on same itinerary and just pay cash difference for points we need to cover all 3.

Old Jan 12, 2019, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Phoebe25
Thanks so much Autoslash. So I’m thinking all of us together using points in coach one way, then like you said, we can all upgrade to EMS if we decide to.
Yes, that sounds good. You can either ask for a comp upgrade at the gate or pay 1K points for each person to have a confirmed EMS seat. If sitting together is important then paying the 3K points is recommended as the likelihood of getting a whole row together is always a crapshoot. Sometimes you get lucky, while other times you just end up with only EMS middle seats available which can be frustrating. Often when traveling solo I will take my chances, but when traveling with family I will just burn the point since it's such a good deal anyway.

Then the other tix in mint I will put myself on same itinerary as one other and pay cash for the solo mint seat, We won’t check more than 4 bags so I think that will work out good.
Yep, good plan.

Only downside is the solo ticket won’t be able to cancel or change without fees, right? Hmmm...maybe not a good idea then. That was best perk of mosaic for me. I wish we could all be on same itinerary and just pay cash difference for points we need to cover all 3.
[/QUOTE]

Yes, this is a downside. Do you have Amex Membership Rewards points or Chase Ultimate Rewards points available? Both of those transfer to JetBlue so you may be able to top off your account for the third passenger.

Keep in mind that all fares booked more than a week prior to departure can be cancelled within 24 hours. Additionally, if you book with Priceline, you can get up to 96 hours to cancel for free.

The normal cancel policy outside of the 24-hour window for Mint is that you would get a travel bank credit for the amount paid minus $200.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

No to AMEX and chase . I knew about the 24 hour policy but not the Priceline one, thanks. But is it true we get a better benefit booking through JetBlue’s site directly? More points back or something? Thought I read that. So with the mint ticket booked without mosaic, we would get all $ back to use later minus $200? May end up booking 3 together one way with point and just pay for all the mints seats in case we need to change our plans closer to departure date.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:02 am

Yes, it's generally better to book at JetBlue.com for maximum points earning and/or a points rebate when paying with points (which you can only do on JetBlue.com anyway).
Phoebe25 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.