Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BOS operations on Jan 20

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

BOS operations on Jan 20

Looking through the B6 schedule for Sun, Jan 20, I cannot find a single flight out of BOS on B6 that has not already been cancelled.

I realize there's a big snow storm coming (and that B6 has issued a travel waiver), but cancelling every single flight 2 days in advance feels a bit extreme... anyone have any insight into what's going on here? (Is this B6's standard operating procedure for a snowstorm?)
silverforumsurf likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:36 pm

Well I had a Jet Blue flt scheduled on Jan 20 from BOS-RIC and when I saw the travel waiver come out I jumped on it. Being in Maine with a major snowstorm coming up on Jan 20 I have been thru this before.
Jet Blue will probably cease arrivals into BOS late Jan 19 so as to not have any or very few airplanes overnight on the ground on Jan 20. I would dare say their early am flts on Jan 21 from BOS will not go on time because they have to get airplanes into BOS to start the schedule. All the airlines will probably do this.
When the travel waiver come out yesterday they really blew it because their alert said to go to the web site under "manage flights" to rebook. Unfortunately B6 has always been weak on the IT side because no one, I repeat no one, could do it because of web site problems. I was on hold for 35 min and the reservations agent said yes they had a problem and no one could reschedule their flt from the web site if you were included on the travel alert city list.
In 2018 I flew Jet Blue on 30 flights from/to BOS.
You should have seen Jet Blue handle this weather ops fiasco years ago. Total flop. I quit them for about 2 years until they started to get their act together.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 10:23 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
They cancelled all SFO/LAX-JFK flights too. Overkill me thinks. Blew my long weekend. Has me rethinking B6, as much as I like Mint. Not being able to push/OAL the ticket is a BIG handicap in these situations.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 6:11 am

Programs: Delta Gold
They canceled my Monday flight as well (BOS-FLL-SJO). I was re-booked for Tuesday, which doesn't work for my schedule. Will have to cancel - luckily I was able to find a similar flight on Delta on Monday for about the same (mileage) cost.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 6:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Carriers do this so that their aircraft are not stuck at a station where not only can't they fly, but they may be stuck for a good while after the storm passes. That makes good operational and financial sense.

One aircraft does not equate to one flight. If an aircraft is stuck at BOS for four extra hours while the snarl is fixed, that is at least one more flight which it cannot perform.

Moving aircraft away from the field also expedites clearing the field for normal operations.

As to other carriers, it is no certainty that they will operate either.
bmg42000 likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:01 am

The interesting thing is that they canceled my Monday flight, but there is no travel waiver for Monday, so I couldn't even proactively try to change it.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:33 am

I've been trying to get on there website for the past 3 hours (Sat Jan 19) and again no luck. Tried three different computers. I did get in on the phone app to check status on flights.
This IT thing with Jet Blue is starting to tick me off. I've already started to look at other airlines for my flight patterns. For the past year at least I have been let down many times on their website.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: trueblue ,mileageplus skymiles, hilton honors silver
Can you try contacting them via twitter? Just tell them you need help changing a flight on Sunday (don't give them the information publicly). They may then
ask you to DM them the confirmation number and they can respond to you that way. (this my work better than the phone or web site).
Old Jan 19, 2019, 2:36 pm

Programs: DL Gold
They seemed to jump the gun on canceling AUS-JFK flights today. Every other carrier has run these flights. Wondering if they will run tomorrow...no precipitation in the forecast for NYC after 8am tomorrow. Just cold and wind.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 5:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
The second leg of BOS-JFK-CTG was cancelled for Monday on Friday night. Had to rebook for Wednesday. Anyone have luck asking for something from the airline because of this situation?
Old Jan 19, 2019, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by Cara332
The second leg of BOS-JFK-CTG was cancelled for Monday on Friday night. Had to rebook for Wednesday. Anyone have luck asking for something from the airline because of this situation?
I asked to get re-booked on Delta for my outbound flight on Monday, and was flatly denied. This was via their Live Chat system.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 3:12 am

Programs: SPG Plat
It’s curious, they cancelled entire slates of Saturday flights that United and Delta flew on-time..

Sounds like they were being overly cautious..
Old Jan 20, 2019, 5:37 am
KTJ

Aruba-Boston Thank you to Delta

I was scheduled AUA-BOS today, 1/20/19. I got an alert on Friday the 18th that my flight was canceled. I rebooked for Saturday the 19th and canceled my hotel for Saturday night. Then late Friday night I got the alert that my Saturday flight was also canceled. Took 35 minutes on hold for Mozaic representatives to tell me I had no options with JetBlue and she couldn’t book us on Delta. Flight was refunded and fortunately we were able to get 4 of the last 7 seats on a Delta flight Saturday. Flight was overbooked and Delta offered $800 credit to get folks to give up their seats.

this was our first flight on Delta in many years. All went smoothly, clean plane, nice staff, on time... and I had an aisle seat in the exit row, but I felt closed in. The 6” smaller seat compared to JetBlue was noticeable, as was the overall narrower cabin. I have a lot to think about when choosing an airline the next time I fly out of Boston in the winter.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:36 am

I was booked for 989 (BOS-DCA) yesterday (1/21). Got a notification that it was delayed 6 hours till after midnight so changed my reservation to 755 which then got cancelled around 5:15p. Said screw it and asked for a refund and booked a ticket for the overnight Amtrak Northeast Regional. Preferable to the 989 which landed at Reagan at ~3:30a. B6 is utter garbage at IRROPS and I can't wait for DL to start flying DCA-BOS again this Fall.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by danib62
B6 is utter garbage at IRROPS and I can't wait for DL to start flying DCA-BOS again this Fall.
In my opinion, B6 was too aggressive at cancelling flights on Sat and Sun (the original purpose of this thread). Most other airlines had fairly normal operations Sat/Sun, while B6 ran a super light schedule Sat and no planes Sun.

Mon and Tue were a completely different story. BOS was running at only 1 runway for all of Monday and part of Tuesday (when they managed to open a 2nd), plus there were all sorts of other issues (most notably, only 2 deicing trucks, 1 of which froze) that wreaked havoc for all airlines.

I was scheduled to fly out of BOS on Mon with a large group of friends, split across many airlines (B6, UA, AS, and others). The majority of us got delayed 6-30 hours arriving to our final destinations, irrespective of our airline. Sure, B6 started at a disadvantage (they already had high loads because of the Sat/Sun cancellations, and they won't rebook on OAL) but in my subjective opinion they did about as well as the other airlines dealing with BOS' issues on Mon/Tue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.