Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Delta Air Lines, continuing its battle against JetBlue adding four new nonstop

Old Dec 10, 18, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hotels: Golden Airlines: B6 Mosiac

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...on/2262938002/

Delta is undercutting B6 on a bunch of routes. I love B6, but the DL pricing is sometimes 1/2!
Old Dec 10, 18, 1:08 pm

Other than DC, these seems like strange routes.
Old Dec 10, 18, 2:11 pm

Great, I tired of flying EWR-BOS on Jetblue and always being 2 hours late
RWPrincess likes this.
Old Dec 10, 18, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hotels: Golden Airlines: B6 Mosiac
Originally Posted by jamesinclair View Post
Great, I tired of flying EWR-BOS on Jetblue and always being 2 hours late
I don't think I've ever been on EWR-BOS ontime...
Old Dec 10, 18, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by HepperSchepp View Post
I don't think I've ever been on EWR-BOS ontime...
Its more of a fleet issue for Jetblue. If I am in Boston departing at 10pm, and at 9:30 our plane hasnt left DCA yet to come pick us up...yeah we're going to be late. I hope Delta has more planes to play with.
Old Dec 11, 18, 7:18 am
Moderator: Travel with Pets

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
These BOS flights DL has added make perfect sense, just think back a few years ago when DL added LGA-ORD and called it a shuttle when AA and UA owned that route. IMO B6 is lucky that DL hasn't entered the FLL-SJU route which is also very ripe for picking!
Old Dec 11, 18, 9:26 am

Programs: TrueBlue, AGR
That makes 5 airlines on BOS-ORD. UA, AA, DL, B6, and NK. I think BOS-MDW would be far more interesting to see DL challenge WN, as one of the only other airlines with a presence at MDW.
RWPrincess and jmj10 like this.
Old Dec 11, 18, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by Sicariis View Post
That makes 5 airlines on BOS-ORD. UA, AA, DL, B6, and NK. I think BOS-MDW would be far more interesting to see DL challenge WN, as one of the only other airlines with a presence at MDW.
That seems like a lot of carrier competition, and that route isn't short.

WN is already challenged with BOS point of sale, in general, but hopefully it has some MDW point of sale. For BOS-MDW, WN has gone down to just 2x daily in the Winter. DL adding nonstop seats on BOS-CHI, even to ORD, is already going to be a pressure on WN's profitability on it's MDW route as WN is affected by ORD fares and traffic, especially on ORD-Northeast type routes where it competes out of MDW. It's not like PVD : BOS where carriers can charge different fares to PVD.

I think DL offering 5x daily is very ambitious on that route. Rather surprised that DL is offering a just 4x to EWR while 5x to ORD. It could offer 6x to EWR and 3x to ORD and that'd seem to make more sense.

Last edited by beyondhere; Dec 11, 18 at 4:30 pm
Old Dec 12, 18, 8:42 am

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
MDW isn't the nicest looking airport. I think DL would rather fly into a nicer looking airport so that their passengers don't feel like they're flying into a dingy outstation.

As far as the DL routes, most of them appear to be a hub attack on United and Star Alliance.

DL has drastically improved BOS-PHL frequency and fares when they started that route, and still has the lowest fares on that route. It seems to be very elite heavy, so it's a route that they should have added a long time ago to serve their own customers who would have otherwise had to book on American or JetBlue. I hope the same happens for these new routes as well.

Last edited by diburning; Dec 12, 18 at 8:54 am
Old Dec 12, 18, 9:01 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, D23 Charter Member, Southwest A-LIst, JetBlue Mosaic
I fly to ORD a few times a year and flights are almost always full both ways. JetBlue changes the frequency and aircraft type between JFK-ORD and BOS-ORD depending on the time of year. Usually ranges from 2-5 flights daily.

BOS has always been considered a mini-hub for Delta so I'm not surprised to see them expanding there. I would guess this is targeting BOS based travelers as most Chicago and DC based travelers are loyal to AA, United or WN. DC also makes total sense given JetBlue travelers are annoyed with the closing of IAD. The question is are they annoyed enough to switch loyalty to Delta?
Old Dec 14, 18, 1:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium / LTG, HHonors Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Nat'l Exec
SkyTeam isn't huge in Chicago, but I'm sure the connections they do have factor into DL's decision. None of those at Midway.
Old Dec 15, 18, 10:05 am
Moderator, Delta & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by beyondhere View Post
I think DL offering 5x daily is very ambitious on that route. Rather surprised that DL is offering a just 4x to EWR while 5x to ORD. It could offer 6x to EWR and 3x to ORD and that'd seem to make more sense.
DL is clearly going after some BOS-EWR O&D that has a strong preference for EWR. Too many flights to EWR, though, and DL cannibalizes its own BOS-LGA/JFK flights.
Old Dec 15, 18, 10:08 am
Moderator, Delta & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by diburning View Post
MDW isn't the nicest looking airport. I think DL would rather fly into a nicer looking airport so that their passengers don't feel like they're flying into a dingy outstation.
DL flies ATL/DTW/MSP-MDW but the ORD ops in total are far larger.

I think the OP's thesis is sound: this is part of going after B6 for the BOS business market.
Old Dec 19, 18, 8:55 pm

I just flew Mint from JFK and Delta One (on a 757-200) coming back. I have to say the pillow in Delta One is definitely nicer, it would be great if Mint had the same pillow! The 757-200 audio jack uses the old two pin style, and when you have the headphones plugged in, you can't easily have something plugged into the USB port at the same time. The power outlet is very loose to the point I needed to use the nice Tumi amenity bag to prop up my charger. Food wise, it's a tie, both are good. Price wise, Delta One was about half the price of Mint for the same flight and time ... makes it tough to stay 100% loyal to JetBlue. I do love the suites in rows 2 and 4 though, those seats are just awesome.
Old Dec 20, 18, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by RSSrsvp View Post
These BOS flights DL has added make perfect sense, just think back a few years ago when DL added LGA-ORD and called it a shuttle when AA and UA owned that route. IMO B6 is lucky that DL hasn't entered the FLL-SJU route which is also very ripe for picking!
Actually, DL has flies MCO-SJU, not FLL. As for FLL, DL who tried FLL-SDQ and it didn't workout so well. It was so terrible loads.