Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JetBlue and the Battle for BOS

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2018, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

JetBlue and the Battle for BOS

Thought this was interesting generally and particularly in light of the (seasonal) decommitment from PWM.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:56 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Yes, I think JetBlue is trying to steer us to fly out of Boston. I just booked a flight from PWM on UA instead.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Things are a real mixed bag for Jet Blue out of Boston.

Things got better ~2 years ago when they connected terminal C to E, opening up 3 different lounges for B6 flyers to use. This had me flying Jet Blue a lot more. More recently I've been getting hammered with reliability issues on the transcon routes I fly (BOS-SEA/LAX) and there's very little operational flexibility even in a hub like Boston. This has had me switching to Delta more often which offers connections through pretty much all their hubs out of Boston and lots of well timed transcon flights. Granted Delta doesn't hold a candle to the Mint product, but they offer a better product in Economy with the possibility for an upgrade to F.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 10:01 am

They made PWM seasonal because it was performing poorly on those JFK flights. They are trying to do more upgauging in JFK. It wasn't because they are trying to steer people to fly out of Boston. They need to show better numbers to Wall Street so the underperforming stations that don't have great market relevance are getting cut or reduced.

btw, they have actually been improving in their A14 numbers out of BOS/JFK since the summer time. I've noticed their OTP numbers to be above average for those airports in much of past 3 months. Their numbers are still poor, but it's been a really rainy summer/fall.

To me, B6 y product is far better than DL. more leg room, wider, satellite tv and free high speed wifi.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 10:41 am

I wonder if they'll try the same tactic they did in Seattle. Delta made a big push to be "Seattle's hometown airline" offering everything from free points to all sorts of perks. They really tried to stick it to their former partner Alaska, but now it seems they've hit diminishing returns with the airport's congestion and endless construction.

Of course, Delta doesn't give a crap about people in their captive hubs they've lost interest in.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by bkojote
I wonder if they'll try the same tactic they did in Seattle. Delta made a big push to be "Seattle's hometown airline" offering everything from free points to all sorts of perks. They really tried to stick it to their former partner Alaska, but now it seems they've hit diminishing returns with the airport's congestion and endless construction.
Gates would be a major issue for DL in Boston as well -- JetBlue has most of Terminal C's ~30 gates to itself. Terminal A has only 22 gates, and Southwest is a much bigger player than the few other airlines in C.

DL also doesn't operate BOS-DCA, which is one of the "must have" flights for BOS business travelers. And I don't think they have enough DCA slots left to pick it back up.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 7:56 am

The most immediate issue for DL is that they are getting hammered in a lot of the markets they entered and that's before they've even started PHL, LAS and CHS. All of which they have little point of sale on the other end and have the worst schedule. On the other hand, B6 is going to see depressed yields for a while. Those additional capacity aren't great for carrier profitability.

But then again, B6 and DL have found a way to co-exist in NYC.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by dtremit
Gates would be a major issue for DL in Boston as well -- JetBlue has most of Terminal C's ~30 gates to itself. Terminal A has only 22 gates, and Southwest is a much bigger player than the few other airlines in C.
Southwest will be moving to Terminal B when the renovations are done and AA vacates the "high" gates there.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 5:45 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by bkojote

Of course, Delta doesn't give a crap about people in their captive hubs they've lost interest in.
Maybe, but also maybe not. Delta was able to screw over Alaska by becoming their partner first, then stabbed them in the back. Also, Delta needed a "real" west coast gateway hub. With LAX being "everyone's hub" and SLC not really west coast, their only options were probably SEA and PDX since SAN doesn't have the capacity, and SFO is taken.

JetBlue has been pretty aggressive in attacking Delta's hubs. First it was Detroit, then they started the LaGuardia Shuttle, then Atlanta, and most recently, Minneapolis. I would not be surprised if the next domestic JetBlue destination to be announced will be CVG as it's the last of Delta's domestic hubs/focus cities that JetBlue doesn't serve yet.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by diburning
Maybe, but also maybe not. Delta was able to screw over Alaska by becoming their partner first, then stabbed them in the back. Also, Delta needed a "real" west coast gateway hub. With LAX being "everyone's hub" and SLC not really west coast, their only options were probably SEA and PDX since SAN doesn't have the capacity, and SFO is taken.

JetBlue has been pretty aggressive in attacking Delta's hubs. First it was Detroit, then they started the LaGuardia Shuttle, then Atlanta, and most recently, Minneapolis. I would not be surprised if the next domestic JetBlue destination to be announced will be CVG as it's the last of Delta's domestic hubs/focus cities that JetBlue doesn't serve yet.
Ha! Delta treats CVG like a third class citizen. CVG has been clamoring for JetBlue service for years, and here’s to hoping that happens. It’s one of the nicest airports in the country and gets garbage service. You’d think with all of the CVG to NYC/BOS (P&G + Macy’s) and MCO/FLL (Leisure) traffic they’d be able to make a go of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.