Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Basic Economy Fares Coming Next Year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Basic Economy Fares Coming Next Year

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: Hotels: Golden Airlines: B6 Mosiac
I live 10 minutes from the airport.
I'd approve of them pulling that Spirit Frontier non-sense of an online booking fee that i can get waived at the airport!!
Old Sep 29, 2018, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Definitely should be called "Middle Seat D-Luxe"
Some forum (DL?) claims that BE is not bad for a short East Coast hops that fly 2X2 seat RJs, but we have to realize that B6 is eager to get rid of all the planes with 2X2 seating (E90).
Old Sep 29, 2018, 10:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
G4, NK, F9 - ULCC's that don't lie to you about their business model, they tell you straight up that you'll pay a low upfront fare but that extras such as changing your flight, luggage, seats, drinks, snacks, and boarding priority will be extra.

AS, HA - Large "regional" airlines that serve a niche market, but also have niche product of first class, extra legroom seats, free snacks/meals, free seat selections, paid checked luggage, change fees.

WN - A class within it's own. Prices all over the place, but a LCC with free snacks, 2 free bags, no change fees, serves a large amount of markets, large fan base.

AA, DL, UA - Legacy carriers with international service, change fees, BE fares, first class, business class, free snacks/drinks in economy, BOB meals, large networks, interline agreements, good in IRROP's.

B6 - Fits into no category, acts like a legacy carrier, LCC, and ULCC all in one. Medium size fleet, all economy layout with first class service on certain aircraft/markets, limited international service, route network all over the place, fares all over the place. Terrible IRROP recovery since it started.

B6 doesn't have the luxury of acting like WN or the legacy carriers, have the niche of acting like HA/AS, nor the fares/product of acting like G4/NK/F9, in other words, they are a cluster f&ck airline that doesn't have a solid business plan. They will either be bought out or have to merge to survive. I just hope management and their employees realize this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by DCP2016
G4, NK, F9 - ULCC's that don't lie to you about their business model, they tell you straight up that you'll pay a low upfront fare but that extras such as changing your flight, luggage, seats, drinks, snacks, and boarding priority will be extra.

AS, HA - Large "regional" airlines that serve a niche market, but also have niche product of first class, extra legroom seats, free snacks/meals, free seat selections, paid checked luggage, change fees.

WN - A class within it's own. Prices all over the place, but a LCC with free snacks, 2 free bags, no change fees, serves a large amount of markets, large fan base.

AA, DL, UA - Legacy carriers with international service, change fees, BE fares, first class, business class, free snacks/drinks in economy, BOB meals, large networks, interline agreements, good in IRROP's.

B6 - Fits into no category, acts like a legacy carrier, LCC, and ULCC all in one. Medium size fleet, all economy layout with first class service on certain aircraft/markets, limited international service, route network all over the place, fares all over the place. Terrible IRROP recovery since it started.

B6 doesn't have the luxury of acting like WN or the legacy carriers, have the niche of acting like HA/AS, nor the fares/product of acting like G4/NK/F9, in other words, they are a cluster f&ck airline that doesn't have a solid business plan. They will either be bought out or have to merge to survive. I just hope management and their employees realize this.
Your constant stream of whining against B6 is really tiresome. Every post you make in here is "The sky is falling, mergers are coming".
Old Sep 30, 2018, 8:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL

Your conclusion is wholly unsupported.

Indeed it has expanded its J service from the NYC-LAX/SFO "premium routes" to others and is reportedly considering a J service to Europe.

I am not a fan of B6, but the fact is that it has a market share, it has an international network through interline agreements with some high-end carriers, and it can calibrate quite easily because it is not locked into any alliance contractual rules.

Bottom line, smart customers look for what is important to them. If you need what it does not offer, don't fly B6. It really isn't hard.

Last edited by Often1; Sep 30, 2018 at 10:00 am
Old Sep 30, 2018, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
It is one of the reasons for BE. Seat assignments do matter and there are any number of people who will fly another carrier before they sit in a steerage middle seat near the lav on a long-haul flight (or even a micro-haul).

Major corporate contracts purchasing full Y tickets (albeit at a discount) at the last minute, complained bitterly when their people wound up stuffed into lousy middle seats.

While it's unlikely that the exit aisles are available at T-24, there is at least a better seating option for last minute (high fare) customers than before.
Thankfully E90 is on a lot of business routes they have. Will have to see the implementation to see how this works out for those full Y fare purchasers. I hope B6 at least has learnt from the mistakes that UA made during their BE deployment.

Originally Posted by radiowell
Some forum (DL?) claims that BE is not bad for a short East Coast hops that fly 2X2 seat RJs, but we have to realize that B6 is eager to get rid of all the planes with 2X2 seating (E90).
A220 is going to be a wonderfully spacious aircraft. I don't think this will be a major problem.

Personally, I'm saddened to see this, but it's not going to change my purchasing habit at all. All the legacies and AS are moving to BE. It was just a matter of time before B6 does too. WN will be the lone holdout and I think they will continue to market that as an advantage.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 1:08 pm

Programs: Hotels: Golden Airlines: B6 Mosiac
Sent this question to Jetblue Twitter DM:
Q: Will Mosiac's be effected by the restrictions if they book new "Blue Save" fare's next year.
‏A: Mosaic customers will continue to enjoy their bag, boarding and additional benefits!
Old Sep 30, 2018, 5:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain
Your constant stream of whining against B6 is really tiresome. Every post you make in here is "The sky is falling, mergers are coming".
You obviously don't remember B6 when it was ran by Neeleman and Barger. It wasn't perfect but they at least cared about their passengers and employees. The new Hayes led B6 cares only about shareholders.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 6:52 pm

You obviously don't remember B6 when it was ran by Neeleman and Barger. It wasn't perfect but they at least cared about their passengers and employees. The new Hayes led B6 cares only about shareholders.
Unfortunately that B6 couldn't make money after labour cost creeped up. And this B6 does much better financially.

The greatest contribution of B6 to NYC aviation is keeping fares low so many routes. Without mint on SAN/LAS/SEA, we'd still see those ridiculous $1500 O/W FC fares on DL. And we wouldn't get service to so many places that legacies simply can't support with their cost level. And their economy product is still easily the best in the country. And imo best in the world (I've flown a lot of airlines in Asia and Europe)
Old Oct 1, 2018, 5:51 am

Programs: Free agent
I've been flying B6 since 3 months after they started operating. Yes, I remember. The major difference that I notice now is that I can fly more places for a competitive price. I don't check bags, never have. Again, you've been nothing be negative about B6 posting here. We get it, you wish it was 2004. It's not, it will never be again. The airline is expanding. They are bringing on new aircraft. They are looking to push TATL. They have the best business class product in the US.

As Often1 said before, if you don't like it, take your business elsewhere.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 6:36 am

Programs: TrueBlue
I'm enough of a fan of B6 that I use their branded card. This 'basic economy' probably won't affect me since I buy my tickets with the card - and that gives me a free checked bag.

I feel lucky in that I'm near BOS so JetBlue pretty much flies everywhere I want to go, domestically, and looks to be expanding into the international markets I've gone to. Heck, they have a really nice agreement with Hawaiian that allowed me to bring my wife to Hawaii as I had a business trip - and did her ticket entirely on TrueBlue points.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by djplong
I'm enough of a fan of B6 that I use their branded card. This 'basic economy' probably won't affect me since I buy my tickets with the card - and that gives me a free checked bag.

I feel lucky in that I'm near BOS so JetBlue pretty much flies everywhere I want to go, domestically, and looks to be expanding into the international markets I've gone to. Heck, they have a really nice agreement with Hawaiian that allowed me to bring my wife to Hawaii as I had a business trip - and did her ticket entirely on TrueBlue points.
Basic economy isn't about no checked bag (that has already happened). It is about no seat assignment.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 5:29 pm

I'm a frequent flier of both Alaska and jetBlue (MVP Gold and Mosaic) and I'd encourage y'alls head on over to the Alaska forums for a bit of perspective (especially as Alaska just announced the same thing.) I like both airlines a lot but give jetBlue credit for being really consistent with managing expectations and customer experience, whereas Alaska is always three-steps-forward or three-steps-back.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As we’ve learned with BE fares on the legacies, it really just means a substantial price hike for those that want a seat assignment and the option to make changes (mostly same-day confirmed/standby).
Old Oct 5, 2018, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
I love the asterisk by "most legroom in coach"...

Included in an internal memo? My, how the attorneys have infiltrated the company.

And why the asterisk in the first place? Either you have the most legroom in coach or you don't. Make up your minds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.