Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Basic Economy Fares Coming Next Year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2018, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC

Where can we Inspire Humanity next? ? Out of the Blue

"Later next year, we’ll evolve our current fare options (Blue, Blue Plus, Blue Flex) to give Customers the choices they want. This will attract ultra-low-fare seekers to JetBlue, where we can take better care of them than other airlines do. We’ll have options for the many Customers who shop on experience and loyalty too.

We are being careful to limit operational impact and keep our mission of humanity front and center. It’s too early to share brand names and specific features, and the IT work is just starting, but here’s a preview:

Our new lower fare will be anything but basic, designed to help Customers save while still offering the full JetBlue experience – the most legroom in coach*, free inflight entertainment, free Fly-Fi internet, free snacks and soft drinks, no overselling of flights, carry-on bag and personal item included, and great service. Customers who opt for this fare will agree to some limits, which might include things like boarding order, seating and change/cancelation flexibility, but we will not make them feel like second-class citizens.

We will also broaden the appeal of our other fare tiers. For example, very few Customers today select Blue Flex. We can boost interest in that fare if we lower the price and focus on Customers who value speed in the airport and change/cancel flexibility (see Blue More below)."
Old Sep 28, 2018, 9:10 am

What an absolute disgrace
Old Sep 28, 2018, 9:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
How so?

B6 should be the only carrier which doesn't offer some flavor of BE? B6 should be the only carrier which keeps its flexible fares out of reach?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Often1
How so?

B6 should be the only carrier which doesn't offer some flavor of BE? B6 should be the only carrier which keeps its flexible fares out of reach?
I didnt realize Southwest was no longer in business
Old Sep 28, 2018, 10:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jamesinclair
I didnt realize Southwest was no longer in business
I'm sure that had a lot to do with the thinking at B6.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: Free agent
As long as they aren't assigning BE fares into EMS, I'm fine with it. Looks like BE includes overhead access so I'd probably buy it. I don't check bags and I have fast security already via GE. It would be hilarious if the cost difference was the price of upgrading to EMS on certain sectors (Thinking JFK->BOS). Just buy the fare and pay for EMS, boarding problem solved, money saved.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 12:53 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain
It would be hilarious if the cost difference was the price of upgrading to EMS on certain sectors (Thinking JFK->BOS). Just buy the fare and pay for EMS, boarding problem solved, money saved.
Not sure about the other legacies, but Delta specifically disallows basic economy tickets from upselling to Comfort+, so I could see EMS not being an option for basic economy.
RWPrincess likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jamesinclair
What an absolute disgrace
Calling it a disgrace doesn't - in any way - advance discussion on why it might be a poor business decision.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: Delta, JetBlue, Marriott
I don't understand all of the fuss. They need to compete with G4, NK, F9, etc., all of which market low base fares and charge for everything. If you don't want BE, pay for regular economy. I would rather see B6 create a BE fare rather than lower the standards for all of economy.

Actually, I look at BE as a positive. I fly DL and B6. Ever since DL introduced BE, I have not had any trouble getting overhead bin space on a regular economy ticket, no matter which zone I am in. Also, I've noticed getting seats is easier since BE people can't select seats.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by EBiafore99
Also, I've noticed getting seats is easier since BE people can't select seats.
This is an unintended benefit for people willing to pony up. I love it.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain
This is an unintended benefit for people willing to pony up. I love it.
It is one of the reasons for BE. Seat assignments do matter and there are any number of people who will fly another carrier before they sit in a steerage middle seat near the lav on a long-haul flight (or even a micro-haul).

Major corporate contracts purchasing full Y tickets (albeit at a discount) at the last minute, complained bitterly when their people wound up stuffed into lousy middle seats.

While it's unlikely that the exit aisles are available at T-24, there is at least a better seating option for last minute (high fare) customers than before.
GottaLuvCruising likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by dw

Not sure about the other legacies, but Delta specifically disallows basic economy tickets from upselling to Comfort+, so I could see EMS not being an option for basic economy.
I -really- hate this with legacy BE especially on Delta. At least Spirit lets you choose what you want- you can skip all baggage and have a nice, comfy front seat (which is often a smashing value too.)
Old Sep 29, 2018, 6:49 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Definitely should be called "Middle Seat D-Luxe"
Old Sep 29, 2018, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by dw

In practice, DL's BE tickets often end up getting assigned C+, exit rows, or the aisle/windows marked "preferred" since those are usually the seats left unoccupied. 4 of 6 of my DL BE flights last year,
Old Sep 29, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: Hotels: Golden Airlines: B6 Mosiac
I fly b6 pretty exclusively. But I'm trying to book BOS-MCO.
There are 3 Airlines on this route. B6, NK, DL.
Spirit is almost always $30 less, and $70 less if you book at airport. Each way...
Of course if you book those spirit fares and don't know what your doing your going to pay 2x as much. But I can see how they are trying to segment.

How will this effect Mosiac...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.