FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   JetBlue | TrueBlue (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/jetblue-trueblue-492/)
-   -   List of changes to JetBlue in the past 30 days (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/jetblue-trueblue/1931513-list-changes-jetblue-past-30-days.html)

RioG Sep 19, 2018 11:27 pm

List of changes to JetBlue in the past 30 days

8/15/18 JBLU announces appointment of B. Ben Baldanza (former CEO of Spirit) to its Board of Directors
8/27/18 Chase adds Jetblue to transfer program at 1:1 ratio (This devalues JetBlue's points value on the Citi/Amex side)
8/27/18 Blue and Blue Plus change fees increase +$50
8/28/18 JBLU raises its prices for checked baggage by +$5 (1st, 2nd checked) and +$50 (3rd checked)
8/31/18 JFK closes the Airpsace Lounge used by Terminal 5 JetBlue customers
9/13/18 Citi immediately rolls out the 1:1 ratio on its Premier and Prestige products to match Chase
(Amex currently has a 1:1 MR to TrueBlue promotion, but expires 10/1/18. They may make it permanent to match Citi and Chase; while this temporarily benefits customers, it may foreshadow an increase in point redemptions by JetBlue to compensate.)
9/16/18 Visa Infinite $100 Discount Round Trip Domestic Airfare no longer an option

Objectively speaking, this isn't the same airline it was thirty days ago.

hi55us Sep 20, 2018 6:42 am

Don't forget the "temporary" axing of badges.

Appreciate someone putting it all in order like this, certainly a confluence of negative changes, fortunately Mosaics are unaffected by most of this, except for the Visa Inifite changes. How long until they make big changes to True Blue/Mosaic...

bkojote Sep 20, 2018 2:49 pm

I don't know that all of these are bad. The points transfers are a good thing? TrueBlue points are only worth about 1.3-1.7 cents in most cases, and AmEx/Chase points are worth a bit more- they were an extremely poor value, and now they're at least sane enough for transfers to be useful. Considering jetBlue point values are more or less fixed I don't really see them upping costs.

The Airspace lounge wasn't owned by them, was awful, and -still- reflected poorly on jetBlue. I think jetBlue should look into some option for an enhanced ground experience but this lounge needed to go. There's enough premium traffic out of T5 with Hawaiian and TAP that hopefully something opens up (hey, maybe expand that Aer Lingus lounge....). I'm amazed it took this long to kick them out.

That said, the checked bag and change fees are lousy. I really think they could set themselves apart by offering reasonable change fees (something Frontier just announced they're doing), but there just doesn't seem to be much innovation here and they're ceding a lot of the flyer-friendly policies to Southwest.

AutoSlash Sep 21, 2018 3:23 am

I'll add the lack of a Mosaic Challenge this year to the list. That's the one that has me most sad. Going to have to rely on Mrs. AutoSlash's Mosaic status from the B6 credit card. Fine when I'm traveling with her, but I'm busted down to an average joe when traveling alone for the first time in a few years. :(

tphuang Sep 21, 2018 7:39 am

lack of mosiac challenge for me is the biggest one. I was hoping to use that for sure.

Those point transfers don't mean anything to me.

As for checked bag, all the legacies have also increased now. Just where us airline industry is moving.

tphuang Sep 21, 2018 8:32 am

well, there is this piece of news, which is a positive for me at least
https://www.travelpulse.com/news/air...an-routes.html

HepperSchepp Sep 21, 2018 9:28 am

Originally Posted by RioG (Post 30224095)
9/16/18 Visa Infinite $100 Discount Round Trip Domestic Airfare no longer an option

Literally Just Tried to use this benefit for the first time. ohwell

Cledaybuck Sep 21, 2018 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by tphuang (Post 30229113)
As for checked bag, all the legacies have also increased now. Just where us airline industry is moving.

Jet Blue was the first to change and then everyone jumped on the bandwagon. I wonder if they would all still be $25 if B6 didn't go first?

MSYtoJFKagain Sep 22, 2018 7:47 am

Originally Posted by AutoSlash (Post 30228641)
I'll add the lack of a Mosaic Challenge this year to the list. That's the one that has me most sad. Going to have to rely on Mrs. AutoSlash's Mosaic status from the B6 credit card. Fine when I'm traveling with her, but I'm busted down to an average joe when traveling alone for the first time in a few years. :(

It's not THAT bad. Just make sure to grab EMS seats ;)

steveholt Sep 27, 2018 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by bkojote (Post 30226926)
The Airspace lounge wasn't owned by them, was awful, and -still- reflected poorly on jetBlue. I think jetBlue should look into some option for an enhanced ground experience but this lounge needed to go. There's enough premium traffic out of T5 with Hawaiian and TAP that hopefully something opens up (hey, maybe expand that Aer Lingus lounge....). I'm amazed it took this long to kick them out.

I cannot imagine anyone who has actually been in that Airspace Lounge being upset that it's closed. It was the size of a relatively large room, it was poorly located within the terminal, most of the seats were up a flight of stairs, the service was horrific, there was virtually nothing to actually consume for the $10 credit, the wi-fi was either weaker than the T5 wifi or was just the T5 wifi (I forget at this point)...essentially, it had a nice shower and that was it. It's one of the worst contract lounges I've ever been in.

HepperSchepp Oct 1, 2018 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by steveholt (Post 30255188)
I cannot imagine anyone who has actually been in that Airspace Lounge being upset that it's closed.

I'll say this again, every time this comes up. They had a Espress machine that was in German... No one knew how to use it if you asked for a drink....

bkojote Oct 2, 2018 9:24 am

Originally Posted by HepperSchepp (Post 30268287)
I'll say this again, every time this comes up. They had a Espress machine that was in German... No one knew how to use it if you asked for a drink....

I remember getting an espresso there -once- and every subsequent visit I was told 'I can't do that' until it was eventually removed.

kalkat Oct 2, 2018 3:29 pm

I hope I’m reading my new Mosaic 2019 packet wrong.

In the More Perks For You section, which lists all Mosaic benefits down to luggage tags, there is no mention of waiving change fees for Mosaics. If this benefit is really gone, my main interest in retaining Mosaic (this is my 4th year I think) disappears too.

sfozrhfco Oct 2, 2018 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by kalkat (Post 30271604)
I hope I’m reading my new Mosaic 2019 packet wrong.

In the More Perks For You section, which lists all Mosaic benefits down to luggage tags, there is no mention of waiving change fees for Mosaics. If this benefit is really gone, my main interest in retaining Mosaic (this is my 4th year I think) disappears too.

I got mine awhile ago and it was there. It is also the first benefit listed on the website.

https://trueblue.jetblue.com/web/trueblue/mosaic

kalkat Oct 2, 2018 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco (Post 30271724)
I got mine awhile ago and it was there. It is also the first benefit listed on the website.

https://trueblue.jetblue.com/web/trueblue/mosaic

ah yes, I see it now. Phew. Thank you!