FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   JetBlue | TrueBlue (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/jetblue-trueblue-492/)
-   -   Mint fare dropped a pretty decent amount, anything I can do? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/jetblue-trueblue/1930334-mint-fare-dropped-pretty-decent-amount-anything-i-can-do.html)

acarney Sep 13, 2018 3:06 am

Mint fare dropped a pretty decent amount, anything I can do?

I booked a Mint fare a couple weeks ago for a friend of mine for travel in late October JFK to LAX. I believe it was $1338 and it's now dropped down to $959. The ticket obviously is in her name. Is there anything I can do to get an actual refund? Or is everything issued in credit/voucher for future JetBlue travel? I wouldn't mind getting a couple hundred bucks back on my credit card for this :P

blueman2 Sep 13, 2018 10:53 am

If you are Mosaic, it might be worth a try. They allowed me to cancel a flight for my wife recently, as a 'one time' courtesy since I am Mosaic. Otherwise, you can canel and pay the cancellation fee. Your savings will be worth more than the fee, I think.

acarney Sep 13, 2018 11:50 am

I don’t have status... I was thinking about canceling, I think it’s a $200 fee, so I still would save $180...

Does anyone think the Mint fare might drop more? It’s for travel on Oct 21st, JFK to LAX, I believe departing at like 10 or 10:30pm, the latest direct flight that day.

tphuang Sep 13, 2018 1:06 pm

on JFK-LAX, the published fare isn't going to drop below $959. That's the lowest level they are pricing JFK-LAX for the publicly on weekdays for a year now.

acarney Sep 13, 2018 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by tphuang (Post 30200465)
on JFK-LAX, the published fare isn't going to drop below $959. That's the lowest level they are pricing JFK-LAX for the publicly on weekdays for a year now.

Oct 21st is actually a Sunday night, and I had some time to finally dig a little and see that it drops as low as $759 on Sunday Oct 14th for the same flight, with about the same amount of Mint seats sold. So maybe I'll wait another week or so and keep an eye on it. After the $200 fee it would still refund me $380, which would be really nice!

sbm12 Sep 13, 2018 7:53 pm

Unless you bought a refundable fare wouldn't the difference be a JetBlue Travel Bank credit rather than to your CC? I'd still probably do it, but don't expect that you're getting a refund to the credit card.

As for fare range, it looks like JetBlue is only opening the $1339 inventory initially then eventually opening other fares. Some Saturdays in the near future get as low as $559 with the $759 and $959 scattered in. Though the lower fares are on less ideal flight times (very early/late).

acarney Sep 13, 2018 11:38 pm

I was wondering if I could get a refund on my credit card or if it would just be some JetBlue credit. My issue here is that the ticket is in her name, but purchased by me. Would the travel credit only be usable by HER, or would I get a couple hundred bucks useable for a future JetBlue flight?

We’re stuck with this specific flight (time and day) because of schedules but good news is it’s the latest flight of the day, so pricing pressure might work in our favor :)

klanfa Sep 13, 2018 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by acarney (Post 30201981)
I was wondering if I could get a refund on my credit card or if it would just be some JetBlue credit. My issue here is that the ticket is in her name, but purchased by me. Would the travel credit only be usable by HER, or would I get a couple hundred bucks useable for a future JetBlue flight?

We’re stuck with this specific flight (time and day) because of schedules but good news is it’s the latest flight of the day, so pricing pressure might work in our favor :)

I'm not sure about travel credit vs cc refund, but I'm leaning towards JetBlue credit. I think all B6 fares are non-refundable by default (incl. flex), and to get a refundable ticket you need to buy up (e.g. Blue Flex Refundable - $100ish more than Blue Flex IIRC). If it is JetBlue credit, it would go to her Travelbank as she is the traveler. However, I am quite confident that the credit can be used to book a ticket for anyone. I've used my credit for myself + girlfriend on the same booking.

AutoSlash Sep 14, 2018 12:35 am

The travel credit would be issued to the passenger who is traveling. When booking online the passenger the passenger whose name the travel credit is under would need to be one of the passengers on the itinerary in order to use the credit. Not sure if you can book for someone else entirely if you call in, but I don't believe this is possible.

LondonElite Sep 14, 2018 12:45 am

Whilst I don't begrudge you the effort to get some money back now that the price has dropped (whichever way actually works for you), consider the question of whether you'd be prepared to pay JetBlue some extra revenue in the case where the price goes up! ;)

acarney Sep 14, 2018 11:38 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 30202097)
Whilst I don't begrudge you the effort to get some money back now that the price has dropped (whichever way actually works for you), consider the question of whether you'd be prepared to pay JetBlue some extra revenue in the case where the price goes up! ;)

I would not, which is why I would hold this ticket until the moment I saw fares reach what I thought was bottom... then probably book the new ticket (to make sure that fare didn't change), and then cancel my existing one. Or gladly call in and request they match the price drop or something, again even if I had to pay a $75 or $200 fee. (Since right now I would get a nice little refund back even after a $200 fee and if it reaches the lowest price I see for upcoming dates I would get almost $200 back after a $200 fee!)

I thought I was getting ahead of the game buying the lowest fare when I booked about 7-8 weeks in advance, but apparently not...

sbm12 Sep 14, 2018 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by acarney (Post 30203838)
...Since right now I would get a nice little refund back ...

Credit. Not refund. There's a very real and important difference.

Love2FlyBiz Sep 25, 2018 8:42 pm

To OP. Have you been able to resolve this? Your purchase date appears to be right at the border when the policy changed (8/27/18). If you purchased the tickets before this date you are entitled to cancel the mint flight without penalties provided the tickets was above $950 if it's a non-stop flight. If so, you should then able then be able to get your money back. You can do this without being Mosaic.

Refer to the Flight Terms and Conditions page on jetblue website under "Fares booked before 8/27/2018", last sentence (section C).

Sadly, i didn't realize the policy had changed, at least it wasn't mentioned in any other forum. I was able to use this policy back in 8/29 without even knowing it was going away :D

acarney Sep 28, 2018 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Love2FlyBiz (Post 30245946)
To OP. Have you been able to resolve this? Your purchase date appears to be right at the border when the policy changed (8/27/18). If you purchased the tickets before this date you are entitled to cancel the mint flight without penalties provided the tickets was above $950 if it's a non-stop flight. If so, you should then able then be able to get your money back. You can do this without being Mosaic.

Refer to the Flight Terms and Conditions page on jetblue website under "Fares booked before 8/27/2018", last sentence (section C).

Sadly, i didn't realize the policy had changed, at least it wasn't mentioned in any other forum. I was able to use this policy back in 8/29 without even knowing it was going away :D

I booked the flight 8/16/18 for $1338, direct JFK to LAX...

Can I call in and ask to cancel or can I do it online?

The same Mint flight is still showing $959.... difference of $379... which would totally pay for one of my Disney tickets :P

edit: still looks like it would only be for JetBlue credit...

”Additional Change/Cancellation Terms (all fares): For changes, any applicable fare difference will be charged in addition to the change fee. Cancellations are for a JetBlue flight credit only, valid for a JetBlue flight within 1 year. If you do not change/cancel before scheduled departure and you "no show" all money for reservation is forfeited. To change or cancel your reservation, visit jetblue.com or call 1-800-JETBLUE (538-2583) in the United States. For a list of international phone numbers please click here. Customers with hearing or speech impairments can call our toll-free TTY/TDD telephone number, 1-800-336-5530.”

Drummer Sep 29, 2018 10:58 am

Can you provide a link to this policy. I searched thee entire site for "Fares booked before 8/27/2018" and for "Flight terms and policies" and got no hits.