Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Jetblue Skip Seat Selection Get Possible Upgrade?

Old Sep 12, 18, 12:56 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I booked a flight from outside the US to the US recently and notice there is an option where you could skip seat selection as oppose choosing an available seat. When I do this, I usually either choose an aisle seat or skip seat selection. I read that apparently if you do not choose a seat, then there is a chance you could get an even more space seat... is that true? Is there any pro/cons of choosing an available seat or skipping it. But if you don't choose a seat, I assume you would get a middle seat which is what most people do not want right? I'm curious do most of you pick your seat when booking online? Or do you skip seat selection because either you don't care about the seat... or you want an upgraded seat for no cost?
Old Sep 12, 18, 1:50 am

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
If you skip seat selection...

Would you have a chance of getting a free EMS seat? Yes.
Are your chances good? No.

Depending on the aircraft type, there's at least one row blocked from seat selection. For example, on an A320, rows 1DEF, 6, and 25 are blocked. 6 and 25 are blocked to seat families without seat assignments, and 1DEF are blocked for injured or disabled passengers. 1DEF and 6 are released 24 hours before departure, row 25 is always held for gate assignment.

So, if the flight is completely full, they need to assign up to 12 seats before you, in order for you to have a free EMS seat. If the flight isn't full, seat assignments for revenue passengers are assigned first, so standbys will get the free EMS if open.

Chances are, if the flight isn't full, there will be plenty of regular middle seats for them to put you in.
Old Sep 12, 18, 4:04 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Hi there. So you would say if there is an aisle seat, just choose that one then as oppose to skip seat selection then right? Because most likely, you get a middle seat?
Old Sep 12, 18, 7:32 pm

I'd say go for aisle. B6 legroom is pretty good as is. If they are able to, they'll offer EMS seats to Mosaics at gate. They won't put you in an EMS seats if there are regular seats available - been on multiple flights where EMS seats were the only seats that were left open.
Old Sep 13, 18, 10:08 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium / LTG, HHonors Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by diburning View Post
If you skip seat selection...

Would you have a chance of getting a free EMS seat? Yes.
Are your chances good? No.

Depending on the aircraft type, there's at least one row blocked from seat selection. For example, on an A320, rows 1DEF, 6, and 25 are blocked. 6 and 25 are blocked to seat families without seat assignments, and 1DEF are blocked for injured or disabled passengers. 1DEF and 6 are released 24 hours before departure, row 25 is always held for gate assignment.
Out of curiosity -- do you know what is typically blocked on the E190?
Old Sep 13, 18, 11:48 am

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
Originally Posted by dtremit View Post
Out of curiosity -- do you know what is typically blocked on the E190?
1CD, 2, and 25
Old Sep 18, 18, 10:52 am

June 2018 LGB-SJC I did not select a seat assignment, and I was upgraded into EMS. I even received expedited security (was asked for my BP at the TSA entrance and was directed to the expedited line).

When I booked, only available seats were middles. Not exactly motivating to pick a seat I ended in in 1B.
Old Sep 19, 18, 11:51 am

Location: Box Three Five Oh, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Expedited security at LGB is common, and since the regular line is rarely more than a minute long, not that much of a 'win'. But it's always cool to see the Pre Check on the BP