Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

JFK Airspace lounge at T5 closing -- time for a B6 option?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers

Although the Airspace lounge was pretty mediocre, it was better than nothing while waiting for flights out of JFK. Time to speculate wildly -- maybe B6 is planning on taking over the space as their own mini flagship lounge for all those west coast bound Mint passengers??
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by OhDoctor
Although the Airspace lounge was pretty mediocre, it was better than nothing while waiting for flights out of JFK. Time to speculate wildly -- maybe B6 is planning on taking over the space as their own mini flagship lounge for all those west coast bound Mint passengers??
I asked this awhile back- In theory the Airspace lounge was a great idea, but holy cow what a pile of trash.

The challenge is the space for it isn't large enough for what they need (a lounge for TAP, Hawaiian, and Mint pax), and I don't think jetBlue wants an aspect of Mint to be comparably inferior to Delta, United, and even Alaska for premium cabin travel if they're going to offer it.

JFK T5 is nice (and I'd argue significantly nicer than the AS lounge was) but it'd be nice to shower on arrival or have a coffee if there's a delay.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 10:57 am

Long term, I think this issue will be solved if they can get their plan for extending to T6/7 approved since other carriers will move in and they will have plenty of priority pass lounges in there. There might be some short term pain.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:22 pm

Knowing how B6 likes to do things a bit differently than the others, I wonder if they could work with the upcoming TWA Hotel to get a lounge there. (I don't know if they could work security for it)
Old Aug 25, 2018, 7:49 pm
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by MarkBearSF
Knowing how B6 likes to do things a bit differently than the others, I wonder if they could work with the upcoming TWA Hotel to get a lounge there. (I don't know if they could work security for it)
I just don't see B6 getting into the lounge business. With the rate that PP is expanding, there is probably no need for them to.
Agree that Airspace JFK was a really really poor effort at a lounge.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: Hotels: Golden Airlines: B6 Mosiac
Originally Posted by bkojote
I asked this awhile back- In theory the Airspace lounge was a great idea, but holy cow what a pile of trash.
In 5 years, they never learned how to use there German cappuccino machine...
Old Aug 31, 2018, 11:42 pm
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
I was at the airspace lounge recently and it was mediocre (and small). Even in the hot NYC summer, the air conditioning in the lounge was worse than the rest of the terminal.

I do wish T5 had a bigger lounge though.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Mint prices used to be very competitive with United
In the last year or so, they are not better than others (granted UA flies to EWR)
I think it is time to provide lounge to Mint passengers.
Then the question is what they do with their Mosaic travelers who are NOT buying Mint?
Old Sep 2, 2018, 5:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by keisari
Mint prices used to be very competitive with United
In the last year or so, they are not better than others (granted UA flies to EWR)
Only when the other carriers cut prices to match Mint fares.
Originally Posted by keisari
Then the question is what they do with their Mosaic travelers who are NOT buying Mint?
Almost certainly not give them lounge access.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 9:44 pm

JetBlue actually sent out an email mentioning the lounge was closing, and they seem to be well aware that many PAX enjoyed the lounge.

I'd assume something has to be in the works as TAP Air Portugal now has no lounge either (granted, they were mostly responsible for some of the Airspace Lounge's worst patrons...)
Old Sep 15, 2018, 11:02 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
They could kill two birds with one stone and add one at BOS too. "The Lounge" (Priority Pass) in Terminal C closed for good last month.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by diburning
They could kill two birds with one stone and add one at BOS too. "The Lounge" (Priority Pass) in Terminal C closed for good last month.
It did? It still shows up on the Prio Pass website and on Massport.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Yep. Closed permanently in August according to the sign taped on the door.

EDIT: See Post #16 . The Lounge has reopened.

Last edited by diburning; Sep 17, 2018 at 4:31 pm
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: Hotels: Golden Airlines: B6 Mosiac
At least you can make the Hike to the AF lounge. I wish Jerry Remy's Dis Breakfast.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Wow, considering how packed the lounge was every time I'm shocked by this. Also was used by Aer Lingus, TAP and even Emirates I believe.

I certainly am a fan of the Air France lounge, but the terminal C lounge was good for when I didn't have time to make the 10 minute walk to terminal E.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.