Delay - Too Much Fuel (Compensation?)

Old Aug 23, 18, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Delay - Too Much Fuel (Compensation?)

Hey everyone...

This experience happened to my family and not myself personally, and I do have some personal opinions on this that I am going to wait until I get feedback and opinions from the community on before I share. The following is what was told to me about today with some factual time data added.

My family arrived at JFKfor a 3:30pm flight today to FLL at 1pm. The plane was at the gate. Everything was normal for boarding until the pilot came on and said (paraphrase) the plane was in maintenance today and loaded with too much fuel, we have tired to work around this but it is loaded with enough fuel to fly to Barbados and we will not be able to land at FLL.
It took about an hour to get two fuel trucks to offload the fuel and then have the tanks balanced and inspected prior to departure. During this time, no food/beverages were offered and no option to deboard was given.
Following this delay, they began to taxi but for some unknown reason could not communicate with ATC for a bit so were delayed in what is now "rush hour" at JFK. During this time, the airport was turned around so they had to taxi further and were still 15th in line when I received a text around 6:00pm. According to flightaware, take off was at 6:19pm (so just about 15 minutes prior to the magic 3 hour mark) with landing occuring at 8:43pm and a gate arrival of 8:51pm.

During the flight, there was no reprieve from the crew. When a family member asked (I use this term lightly according to the story) about a break on the drinks, the FA replied by repeating their question of how payment would be (as opposed to an apology or even a "no, we can't do that."). I told my family they need to understand the crew is stuck on there too, but what I heard next surprised me. There was no threat of weather or anything, yet snacks and drinks were only offered with 1 hour or so remaining in the flight, so a little more than halfway through. Keep in mind, that would put it around 7:30pm, or 4.5 hours after boarding began.

Can anyone explain in more detail what happened, if any compensation is due, and why the FAs would wait so long under those circumstances to provide their service?

Ending with a positive: To the flight crew's credit, the pilot asked the PAX to be kind to the FAs and offered to take all of the abuse after landing (even though this clearly was not his fault). He personally apologized to every passenger on deboarding.
Old Aug 24, 18, 1:08 am

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
The departure was not delayed by more than 3 hours so no compensation is due. It looks like they took a slight detour at the border of Virginia and North Carolina to avoid a weather cell. As far as service, the aircraft was an A321. A320s take about an hour to serve, it would not be unreasonable to take an hour and a half to serve an A321. There can be up to 200 people on the flight. The flight time was 2hr42min.

There's no reason to fuel a plane for maintenance, so that means they were on a plane that was originally meant to go somewhere else. That other flight either was put onto a spare plane or cancelled. Whatever issue causing that flight to not operate with that aircraft was fixed before the aircraft was assigned to your family's flight.

Last edited by diburning; Aug 24, 18 at 1:13 am
Old Aug 24, 18, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by diburning View Post
The departure was not delayed by more than 3 hours so no compensation is due. It looks like they took a slight detour at the border of Virginia and North Carolina to avoid a weather cell. As far as service, the aircraft was an A321. A320s take about an hour to serve, it would not be unreasonable to take an hour and a half to serve an A321. There can be up to 200 people on the flight. The flight time was 2hr42min.

There's no reason to fuel a plane for maintenance, so that means they were on a plane that was originally meant to go somewhere else. That other flight either was put onto a spare plane or cancelled. Whatever issue causing that flight to not operate with that aircraft was fixed before the aircraft was assigned to your family's flight.
and this was 100% why I was waiting to inject my personal opinions. I agree with the above word for word.
Old Aug 24, 18, 7:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Compensation for what? These are all routine issues which confront pretty much all carriers and there is zero reason for a carrier to offer anything,
Old Aug 24, 18, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Compensation for what? These are all routine issues which confront pretty much all carriers and there is zero reason for a carrier to offer anything,
agreed. I explained that to my family. Just wanted to see how you guys saw it

my two issues were: despite what was going to be known to be a lengthy delay at the gate, no snacks/drinks (which JetBlue says they provide) and the rudeness of the flight crew. I understand they are human but I have to work very long hours at my job and still face serious consequences if Iím rude to a customer.

I am concerned with the delay in getting snacks out but since I donít know the circumstances behind waiting a bit to get out there and how long service on the A321 takes, I am in no position to comment one way or another.
Old Aug 24, 18, 11:03 pm

If they were delayed on-board the aircraft, then they probably didn't have enough snacks to provide while on the ground and still have enough for inflight service.

The snacks which would be provided at the gate in the event of a long delay would be fetched from a storage unit on the ramp.
Old Aug 25, 18, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by diburning View Post
If they were delayed on-board the aircraft, then they probably didn't have enough snacks to provide while on the ground and still have enough for inflight service.

The snacks which would be provided at the gate in the event of a long delay would be fetched from a storage unit on the ramp.
right but if you know you have to wrangle up 2 fuel trucks and it takes about 20 mins to defuel a plane couldnít they have also sent a catering truck to replenish snacks?

also they did get compensation. Iím not thrilled with that but they are!
Old Aug 25, 18, 11:00 pm

Catering is done by a contractor, and they operate on a tight schedule (unlike the fueling contractor). I'm not sure who they use at JFK. This is why JetBlue's delay snacks are kept in a storage unit, so that they actually have them since they can't just go get some from the caterer.
Old Sep 4, 18, 5:03 pm

Programs: Hotels: Golden Airlines: B6 Mosiac
When did they change the delay compensation rules to 3 hours? I feel like they used to be 2?

Search this Thread