Baggage, Change/Cancel Fees Going Up

Old Aug 20, 18, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CBP Global Entry, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz PC
Baggage, Change/Cancel Fees Going Up

TPG reporting a pretty substantial bump in baggage fees (30/40/150 up from 25/35/100) and some change/cancellation fees for $200+ tickets, Mint bookings, and vacation bookings.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/jetblue-to-increase-fees/
Old Aug 20, 18, 2:11 pm

I'm a LOT more concerned with appointing BBB to the board.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...r-Appointments

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--JetBlue Airways Corp. (NASDAQ:JBLU), New York’s Hometown Airline™, today announced the appointment of B. Ben Baldanza and Sarah Robb O'Hagan to its Board of Directors. The independent director appointments are effective immediately, following unanimous approval by the company’s Board of Directors.
Old Aug 20, 18, 3:44 pm

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
Originally Posted by radiowell View Post
Thanks for the head's up. know how I'll vote on my next proxy card.
jamesinclair likes this.
Old Aug 20, 18, 4:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

So $5 is considered a "substantial bump in baggage fees" now? I mean, rising fees are not good for passengers so whatever, but $5 is hardly substantial IMO.

Also, shouldn't someone try to spin this as "Mosaic is now even more valuable!"
Old Aug 21, 18, 4:09 am

Programs: trueblue ,mileageplus skymiles, hilton honors silver
Baggage fees

Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
So $5 is considered a "substantial bump in baggage fees" now? I mean, rising fees are not good for passengers so whatever, but $5 is hardly substantial IMO.

It also makes the credit card (with the waived baggage fee) look more valuable.
Old Aug 21, 18, 6:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
B6 is simply harmonizing with the rest of the industry and not leaving money on the table.

It's not as though some significant number of people will jump ship to a legacy carrier where the fees are not appreciably different.
Old Aug 21, 18, 7:03 am

i bet most people wouldn't notice that this has gone up. I didn't know when they went from $20 to $25. Then again, I have jetblue credit card and don't check in luggage even on month long trips to Singapore.
Old Aug 21, 18, 10:12 am

Programs: DL, UA, SPG, HH
Unless you have a bag that exceeds the sizer, you could roll the dice and go to the gate with your bag. The last few flights I took with B6 were half empty but they asked to gate check bags for free - almost as if that announcement has been added to the script. Of course this doesn't work if you have a mega bag or carry liquids.
Old Aug 21, 18, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by radiowell View Post

https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...r-Appointments
Not sure how I feel about that one. He's admittedly sharp and did a good job innovating with Spirit (and if you look at his quotes he definitely understands that jetBlue -isn't- Spirit) , but I worry about them adopting the "Why are we leaving money on the table!?" strategy.
Old Aug 21, 18, 3:28 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
I had known about this for a while already and was trying to figure out how to wrap my head around the fact that with these increases, they are now charging more than the legacy carriers. What is their rationale for doing this? Do they think they can ride the brand loyalty on this? Then again, $5 isn't going to make or break it for most people.

Looks like someone leaked it to the credit card and snake oil emporium already.

Last edited by diburning; Aug 21, 18 at 3:35 pm
Old Aug 21, 18, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward
Yikes! I don't like Ben Baldanza. Because of this, he used work for Spirit before and they fired him. He doesn't listen to those customers. They complaining about legroom, bags, carryon, and a few other things, as well. I can't stand with him anymore!
Old Aug 21, 18, 6:30 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Baldanza? Gross. Terrible choice.
Old Aug 21, 18, 6:41 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Bye Bye B6. You used to be my favorite and only airline, now I will actively book away. Let's see, I can choose WN with no bag/change fees, UA/AA/DL with $25 bag fees, good networks, and stable IRROP's recovery, or NK/G4/F9, where I get a very cheap base fare and can add in what I want (NK's $30 bag fee plus their low fares are cheaper than just B6's Blue fares). Can't wait to see who they end up merging with.

What I would do to have Neeleman or even Barger come back and save B6.
Old Aug 22, 18, 8:16 am

Ben Baldanza is a board member, not involved in day to day decisions. Seems like a lot of overreaction here. I don't see why $25 is okay, but $30 is not. I do expect them to add charge for more stuff, but I think that would happen regardless of whether or not Ben got added. It's just the way industry is moving. Every airline has basic economy now except for B6 and WN. I don't think WN is ever moving in that direction. But we could certainly see B6 adopt a few items like fees for certain seat assignment.

JetBlue will still have the most legroom, widest seats, great service, free high speed wifi and best IFE that is only getting better with the A320 reconfig. It's the best y experience on the planet when they run on time. That's why people fly Jetblue, not because they were charging $25 for baggage fees. As for why they think they can charge more for baggage fees than legacies? They have a much better hard product. I'm sure the legacies will increase their fees pretty quickly to catch up.
Sinter, sbm12 and crimonist like this.

Last edited by tphuang; Aug 22, 18 at 8:26 am
Old Aug 22, 18, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CBP Global Entry, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post

Yea, I tend to check multiple bags (3+ regularly), so this hits me a lot more than the typical person checking one bag.

Regarding Baldanza, I think it's totally fine for JetBlue to add someone with his experience to their board. He worked at plenty of other airlines before Spirit.

Search this Thread