Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Baggage, Change/Cancel Fees Going Up

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage, Change/Cancel Fees Going Up

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by caliform
Baldanza? Gross. Terrible choice.
Yeah, really! I can't stand him! We don't like him at all. Ridiculous!
Old Aug 24, 2018, 7:33 am

Programs: Free agent
I don't check bags. Anyone checking more than 2 should have to pay through the nose. If my ticket is $300 for my 200lb body, you should have to pay at least half that for as much in luggage. I see some obscene luggage situations going through T5. Just ship your luggage and make life easier for everyone.

The Mint fees are embarrassingly high now and will definitely affect my travel once my Mosaic status falls off.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 7:45 pm
soy

Programs: various
Whats the current cancel fee?

When I search on the B6 website it says a flat $75 for any Blue fares, so long as its 60+ days out

TPG links to a different page that says its currently $150 for Blue fares of $149+, and the reduced rate of $75 at T-60 only applies to Mosaic.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 5:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by soy
Whats the current cancel fee?

When I search on the B6 website it says a flat $75 for any Blue fares, so long as its 60+ days out

TPG links to a different page that says its currently $150 for Blue fares of $149+, and the reduced rate of $75 at T-60 only applies to Mosaic.
The T-60 for Mosaic only is incorrect; that benefit is currently available for everyone.

It is a sliding scale based on fare and will remain such, with a new $200+ tier and the loss of the 60+ days out benefit.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by crimonist
Yea, I tend to check multiple bags (3+ regularly), so this hits me a lot more than the typical person checking one bag.
Same. I travel with multiple large, heavy things quite frequently and would love to be in Mint more and would easily hit Mosaic. Unfortunately at $100/bag, double the cost of DL (and others, but DL has served me well), I'm not a player at all so they get zero of my work dollars.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by tkey75
Same. I travel with multiple large, heavy things quite frequently and would love to be in Mint more and would easily hit Mosaic. Unfortunately at $100/bag, double the cost of DL (and others, but DL has served me well), I'm not a player at all so they get zero of my work dollars.
There is no scenario where B6 is charging $100/bag and DL is charging $50. On JetBlue the $100 fee (soon to be $150) is for the 3rd bag or more. On Delta the 3rd bag is already $150 and 4 or more are $200 each, up to a max of 10. https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...ip/excess.html

Check your data before making this choice. :-:

Last edited by sbm12; Aug 26, 2018 at 2:19 pm
Old Aug 26, 2018, 9:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by sbm12
There is no scenario where B6 is charging $100/bag and DL is charging $50. On JetBlue the $100 fee (soon to be $150) is for the 3rd bag or more. On Delta the 3rd bag is already $150 and 4 or more are $200 each, up to a max of 10. https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...ip/excess.html

The baggage fees aside, which airline will let me proactively re-book my flight the same day, even to/from different airports and which airline tells me "too bad, so sad" because their operation is in such disarray and they only operate 1-2 flights a day between the airports? B6 is not long for this world, within the next 5-10 years they will either be bought out, merge, or go bankrupt.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by DCP2016
The baggage fees aside,...
The schedule/operations question is a different one and I certainly won't dispute that in many markets JetBlue is limited. In many others it is not. But that doesn't have anything to do with the discussion here about bag fees going up.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 6:47 am

Programs: Free agent
The baggage fees aside, which airline will let me proactively re-book my flight the same day, even to/from different airports and which airline tells me "too bad, so sad" because their operation is in such disarray and they only operate 1-2 flights a day between the airports? B6 is not long for this world, within the next 5-10 years they will either be bought out, merge, or go bankrupt.
I've been hearing that refrain for nearly 20 years now. Keep it coming.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 7:53 am

if that happens, several othe rairlines would've gone bankrupt and this countries airline industry will be in a lot of trouble. Somehow, all the LCCs without national network have been able to survive this along and get higher profit level than the legacies.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 8:29 am
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain
I've been hearing that refrain for nearly 20 years now. Keep it coming.
10 years ago I would've also laughed at that phrase. This however is no longer the B6 I grew up with that wanted to bring humanity back to air travel, it's now Wall Street Airlines.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:36 am

It depends how you look at it. It has been more profitable in recent years than it has ever been before. Consistently generating margins that are above average in the industry despite operating out of very competitive environments. Unfortunately, what it had 10 years ago might not have been sustainable. In terms of economy class experience, it's still by far the best when things are on time. I can't think of another airline in the world offers as much as they do for the coach class passengers. If you think they don't fly everywhere and are terrible when things go wrong, you are well within your rights. But I don't see how an extra $5 per bag changes things.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:01 am

Local News 4 in NYC had a teaser for the commercial break before the hour on the local morning news program "When we come back, first in the industry highest fees for JetBlue". this morning.
Good thing I read this yesterday here and I could turn off TV.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tkey75
Yep, this was an issue for me as well. I fly out of New York, so a lot of Delta for me as well. I get media rates on Delta so $50/bag flat-rate.

I finally broke down and emailed JetBlue corporate asking them to match media rates (they have no public policy on this) of the other carriers since it was just keeping me from booking B6 for that reason alone. They agreed to do that. I hope they follow-up with an actual policy. Lots of media folks want to fly back and forth between NYC/BOS and the West Coast, and B6 is great in so many other ways.
diburning likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by sbm12

You sound so certain, but I don't want to make to feel too bad about being incorrect, so I'll let crimonist do the work for me

I get media rates on Delta so $50/bag flat-rate.
That's up to 25 bags. Came close to that limit once. Wasn't fun.

I finally broke down and emailed JetBlue corporate asking them to match media rates (they have no public policy on this) of the other carriers since it was just keeping me from booking B6 for that reason alone. They agreed to do that. I hope they follow-up with an actual policy. Lots of media folks want to fly back and forth between NYC/BOS and the West Coast, and B6 is great in so many other ways.
I'm gonna PM you. I have questions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.