Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Question about Mint seats and service in general...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Booking a flight for my friend from JFK to LAX in late October. Flying a red eye in Mint on a Sunday night (10:35 pm JFK departure, 1:45 AM arrival). SeatGuru suggests that the Mint suite in row 4 is the "better" seat compared to row 2, anyone know why on that? Is there any difference between row 2 and row 4?

Also, she'll be heading right from work to the airport, do the redeye flights from JFK to LAX serve a meal in Mint? Is it decent enough sized to tell her not to bother getting something at JFK right before she gets on the flight?

Finally, is there any expedited security at JFK for her if she does NOT have TSA PreCheck but does book JetBlue Mint?
Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Westbound flights timed like this are generally not considered a redeye in the true sense as passengers would typically go to a bed in LA upon arrival and sleep a normal night before working the following day.

That said, I do not believe there is an appreciable difference between rows 2 and 4. And there is a priority security queue in JFK, though I have no idea if it'll be open that late. From a dining perspective, I think the full meal service is still offered on that late departure, but I'd probably skip it. Assume it'll be 11:30-midnight by the time food is served. I get hungry several hours earlier than that and would eat a full meal either in town before heading to the airport or in the terminal prior to boarding. If I got hungry during the flight there are plenty of options to snack on. But if the passenger really is going straight to work at 2a from the airport I'd be focused on sleeping during the flight, not eating or drinking.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
Westbound flights timed like this are generally not considered a redeye in the true sense as passengers would typically go to a bed in LA upon arrival and sleep a normal night before working the following day.

That said, I do not believe there is an appreciable difference between rows 2 and 4. And there is a priority security queue in JFK, though I have no idea if it'll be open that late. From a dining perspective, I think the full meal service is still offered on that late departure, but I'd probably skip it. Assume it'll be 11:30-midnight by the time food is served. I get hungry several hours earlier than that and would eat a full meal either in town before heading to the airport or in the terminal prior to boarding. If I got hungry during the flight there are plenty of options to snack on. But if the passenger really is going straight to work at 2a from the airport I'd be focused on sleeping during the flight, not eating or drinking.
Thanks for the comments! I'll be picking her up at LAX and then heading over to the Disneyland Hotel, hopefully to get enough sleep that Monday at Disney won't be toooo rough, lol I'm also hoping there is no traffic that late at night... but I never trust LA to be traffic free at ANY time, I've never been to LAX that late on a Sunday night/Monday morning, but I know LAX always can be hit and miss with traffic too...

I'll probably suggest she try to grab something once she gets to T5 since she'll be heading right from work to JFK but also mention she probably will have an option for something onboard too if she wants to sample it or isn't sleeping. How's service on flights running that time of night? If she does want to stay up for awhile and get service, are FA's pretty responsive to drink requests and stuff like that this late? Also, how are the drinks in Mint?

I don't think she's ever even flown in F let alone something like Mint or other "flagship" transcon F service so I want to push her to totally make use of the food and drinks and snacks if she wants, does Mint order from the screen for things like snacks/drinks, or FA call button?
Old Aug 16, 2018, 1:11 pm

I read it as from the flight to work, not from work to the flight; my bad.

Drink service should be responsive; if the crew sees that she's up and active then they usually will match that. Ordering is from a menu and "tapas style" where pax get to choose 3 of 5 options for their meal. Plus an ice cream dessert. I think the wines are a highlight of Mint versus the booze but that's up to personal preference in many ways.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
I read it as from the flight to work, not from work to the flight; my bad.

Drink service should be responsive; if the crew sees that she's up and active then they usually will match that. Ordering is from a menu and "tapas style" where pax get to choose 3 of 5 options for their meal. Plus an ice cream dessert. I think the wines are a highlight of Mint versus the booze but that's up to personal preference in many ways.
Awesome. Hopefully it'll be a great flight and will help make it not near as stressful jumping right into a vacation. Work schedules on both ends means we didn't have too much wiggle room on either ends of the trip. I'll be flying down from SEA to LAX just on good old Delta domestic F so I'll be eager to hear what she thinks, lol
Old Aug 16, 2018, 7:23 pm

Suites in row 2 are closer to galley where the flight attendants prep food and beverage service for Mint cabin.

Suites in row 4 are closer to the self serve galley and the lavatory. Maybe it’s just me, but I swear you can sometimes catch a whiff of that lavatory after someone makes a deposit. 🤢

The suite space in either row (and either side) is the same, I’ve sat in all four suites ... however row 1 actually has the most room for your feet when sleeping flat, but there’s usually someone next to you.

As far as food goes, have your friend check the menus on the first of the month they’re traveling. If it doesn’t appeal to them, they can call 1800JETMINT to request a PlaneEats meal ... however I’ve had friends and seen a passenger who didn’t get their meal request honored, seems like catering didn’t get the order or neglected it.

Have fun in Disney and hope she enjoys the Mint experience!
Old Aug 17, 2018, 11:41 am

Seats 2 and 4 are generally the same for me, with a slight preference for 2F (no galley light) and 4A (no bathroom light) but you really can't go wrong with any seat in these rows.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bkojote
Seats 2 and 4 are generally the same for me, with a slight preference for 2F (no galley light) and 4A (no bathroom light) but you really can't go wrong with any seat in these rows.
Good to hear! I put her in 2F

So past the Mint meal, if she wants snacks or anything is it the same selection of free snacks that everyone on the flight gets (and does she go back to the little Jet Blue bar to get them) or is there like a snack basket or anything for Mint? (I know other carriers love their little snack baskets for the premium cabins...)
Old Aug 17, 2018, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by acarney

So past the Mint meal, if she wants snacks or anything is it the same selection of free snacks that everyone on the flight gets (and does she go back to the little Jet Blue bar to get them) or is there like a snack basket or anything for Mint? (I know other carriers love their little snack baskets for the premium cabins...)
In my experience, snack basket is offered after the meal.
acarney likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 5:05 pm

They'll bring them to you (the basket usually has fresh fruit in addition to the core snacks) or you can visit the mid-cabin snack bar + fridge. Food shouldn't be a problem on any Mint flight!

Also not sure if it was answered earlier but flying out of JFK there's a dedicated check-in area for Mint it's a small alcove right by the doors) and she'll be able to use the "Even More Speed" priority security line. Expect security to take about 20 minutes.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bkojote
They'll bring them to you (the basket usually has fresh fruit in addition to the core snacks) or you can visit the mid-cabin snack bar + fridge. Food shouldn't be a problem on any Mint flight!

Also not sure if it was answered earlier but flying out of JFK there's a dedicated check-in area for Mint it's a small alcove right by the doors) and she'll be able to use the "Even More Speed" priority security line. Expect security to take about 20 minutes.
Thanks! I was reading that Mint had a dedicated check in but that it was very hard to find or tucked away... is there one main way into T5? If so, can I give her tips on "as soon as you start to see JetBlue counters look to your (right or left) for the sign that says 'mint / mosaic' ")
Old Aug 18, 2018, 7:45 am

Mint/Mosaic check in is close to the end of the terminal ... the complete opposite of where Hawaiian/AerLingus are.

If she has TSA PreCheck, the entrance to that queue is all the way back by Hawaiian/AerLingus are.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 8:44 am

Thanks! I was reading that Mint had a dedicated check in but that it was very hard to find or tucked away... is there one main way into T5? If so, can I give her tips on "as soon as you start to see JetBlue counters look to your (right or left) for the sign that says 'mint / mosaic' ")
The distinguishing factor IMO is that it is on the curb side of the building, not the terminal side. It is in the circle on the map below. The priority access to TSA is the number 1 and the PreCheck is number 2. At that late hour no guarantee those are open.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:14 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
I think it's nearly impossible to miss, it's got big green signage. You'll be ok
Old Aug 22, 2018, 3:47 pm

I didn’t realize this until today, but there’s actually a dedicated Mint/Mosaic entrance for check in!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.