Longgg WX delay B6 854 Aug 12 - why?

Old Aug 13, 18, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG
Angry Longgg WX delay B6 854 Aug 12 - why?

Trying to figure out how flight 854 DCA to BOS got so delayed last night (6 hours). Most other flights in that route were about a 2 hour delay with rain on the entire east coast.

From what I see, the connecting plane originally came from MCO earlier in the day as flight 724, and arrived to DCA 1 hr 29 minutes late. One would assume it would then be used for flight 854 up to Boston and leave a little late (it got the DCA at 6:28 PM and the flight to Boston was scheduled for a 6:46 PM departure.

BUT THEN, the plane goes from DCA to JAX, and back from JAX to DCA (flights 2115 and 716).

So there seems to have been an equipment change here, that they conveniently chalked up to "weather", resulting in a total delay of 6 hours. Thoughts???
Old Aug 13, 18, 3:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Typical rotation (i.e. the day prior) appears to be BOS-DCA-JAX-DCA-BOS. Which is to say that the plane flying the DCA-BOS segment usually does a DCA-JAX turn prior. Looks like the inbound from BOS-DCA on the morning of the 12th was also severely and they still needed to do the JAX turn. So they pulled the planes out of their "normal" rotation and got it done.

I don't know if it was a crew or aircraft availability issue that made this swap the smart play, but I'm guessing fewer pax stranded as a result, even if some delayed much more than desirable.
Old Aug 13, 18, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG
Yes it looks like flight 455 from BOS is usually the first flight of that rotation but it flew somewhere else after landing in DCA instead of doing the usual DCA-JAX-DCA-BOS.

Search this Thread