Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Enormous price difference on Mint seats only 1 week apart

Old Aug 10, 18, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Two weeks ago I bought seats in Mint, Liberia-JFK for February. The price was $311 per seat, 1-way because it was a new route (Mint is only available on that route on Saturdays).

We had wanted to fly on Saturday February 23, but those same Mint seats were priced at $2170 per seat, 1-way!

I saw that the Saturday before and the Saturday after were both $311. So what a huge difference on February 23! I see that as of today the price has not changed and that not surprisingly they haven't sold a single Mint seat at that price.

I called jetBlue and the rep said it had to be a mistake and put me on hold while she checked with a supervisor. When she came back she was surprised to have found out that $2170 was the correct price, but she had no idea why. So we bought tickets on another date for 7 times less!

Has anyone ever seen such a huge difference in price on jetBlue Mint seats when only 1 week apart? And any theories as to why February 23 is so expensive?
Old Aug 10, 18, 12:07 pm

February 23 is the last weekend of the NYC public school system midwinter recess, and in my past experience JetBlue's pricing to/from JFK is particularly sensitive to NYC school holidays, especially to sun/resort type destinations.

If you do a search for Fort Lauderdale to JFK, for instance, a nonstop one-way on Sat 2/16 can be had for $103-$112, whereas the following Saturday (2/23) prices are averaging $400 and Sunday has $400-$500 tickets. Same pattern for San Juan to JFK (jumping from $140 to $300-$400) and even LAX -- which is obviously warm in February but not the same kind of beach destination that the Caribbean or Florida is -- shows this behavior.

I do agree a 7x price difference seems excessive (probably something odd going on with the pricing algorithm?) but I'm not surprised at the differential between the two Saturdays in February.
AutoSlash, writerguyfl and hi55us like this.
Old Aug 10, 18, 12:10 pm

Same thing happens at BOS too, if you have to fly around February or April vacation time, prepare to take a haircut.
Old Aug 10, 18, 12:13 pm
Company Representative - Autoslash

They're trolling to see if they can get $2,170 for the seat from someone who wants Mint on that route and is completely price insensitive. Trust me, plenty of hedge fund managers with school-age children and extreme amounts of disposable income in the NYC area, so not out of the realm of possibility. The price will likely drop at some point, but it's not likely to be anywhere close to $300, so don't hold your breath.
Old Aug 10, 18, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by andrewesque View Post
February 23 is the last weekend of the NYC public school system midwinter recess, and in my past experience JetBlue's pricing to/from JFK is particularly sensitive to NYC school holidays, especially to sun/resort type destinations.
And Administrative staff NYCDOE gets off the Friday in observance of Lincolns' Birthday (rest of the city is off on the 12th) so I can confirm pricing is high for that weekend when the wife is off and I've researched pricing to points south, wish she had the entire week off...
Old Aug 10, 18, 3:07 pm

February 23 is the last weekend of the NYC public school system midwinter recess,
A little off topic, but just followed your link to the school calendar. NYC schools take the day off for Lunar New Year and Eid al-Fitr? Seems kind of silly to me.
Old Aug 10, 18, 8:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Cruss74 View Post
Seems kind of silly to me.
Why? Large portions of the enrolled students celebrate those holidays. Just like large portions celebrate Easter, Passover and other religious events.
Old Aug 11, 18, 3:42 am

A little off topic, but just followed your link to the school calendar. NYC schools take the day off for Lunar New Year and Eid al-Fitr? Seems kind of silly to me.
Two Eid holidays actually and this August 21st there is no school, no teachers as summer school is finished and school year hasn't started but wife is off. When di Balsio became Mayor he added those 3 holidays.
Old Aug 13, 18, 10:07 am

It's only silly if you don't think those holidays are as "real" as other holidays. From a practical perspective, lots of students are going to be out anyway and it's simpler for schools to just schedule those days as formal days off, instead of dealing with large absenteeism on those days.

For similar reasons, given New York's large Jewish population, many schools in the city are off for Rosh Hashanah and/or Yom Kippur as well even if they are not explicitly Jewish schools.
Old Aug 13, 18, 11:02 am

It's only silly if you don't think those holidays are as "real" as other holidays.
I think I would use the word "major" instead of "real", but yes, they are not major holidays, not in the U.S. at least. I don't think I have ever known someone who celebrates either of those holidays. Granted, I live over 2,000 miles away from NYC.
Old Aug 13, 18, 3:08 pm

For similar reasons, given New York's large Jewish population, many schools in the city are off for Rosh Hashanah and/or Yom Kippur as well even if they are not explicitly Jewish schools.
Those are official holidays in the city, with many services/rules affected. Including public schools being closed.
I think I would use the word "major" instead of "real", but yes, they are not major holidays, not in the U.S. at least. I don't think I have ever known someone who celebrates either of those holidays. Granted, I live over 2,000 miles away from NYC.
The US is far less homogeneous than you are projecting. Just because you don't know someone who celebrates the holidays doesn't mean they aren't very real or major for a significant portion of the population. Especially in areas more diverse than Eastern Washington.
Old Aug 14, 18, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Those are official holidays in the city, with many services/rules affected. Including public schools being closed.
I obviously don't disagree with you on the holiday business as seen in my original post, but out of curiosity where do you see that they are official holidays in New York City? Neither the city clerk's list of legal holidays, nor the NYC payroll list of holidays list these Jewish holidays, and from personal experience friends who work for city departments like the Dept. of Transportation don't have these days off. (Of course lots of people will be out anyway.)
Old Aug 14, 18, 7:36 am
Company Representative - Autoslash

They are official school holidays:

https://www.schools.nyc.gov/docs/def...lendar-english
Old Aug 14, 18, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by AutoSlash View Post
Plus, parking rules are suspended. Possibly other bits, too.

Search this Thread