Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

JetBlue Roundtrip Certificate Worth?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2019, 1:15 am
Original Poster

I won two certificates on The Ellen Show. Each is good for a roundtrip flight anywhere JetBlue flys by 12/19/2019.

Does anyone have a fair guess of how much each certificate is worth based on the rules and black out dates? Been contemplating if I should keep them for myself or give away / sell.

Update: I can't post photos due to forum rules. Basically the certificate states that government fees are not included and must be paid with a credit card.
Old May 17, 2019, 7:29 am

Programs: Marriott Plat Elite, Formerly SPG Plat 100), HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by cinamann
I won two certificates on The Ellen Show. Each is good for a roundtrip flight anywhere JetBlue flys by 12/19/2019.

Does anyone have a fair guess of how much each certificate is worth based on the rules and black out dates? Been contemplating if I should keep them for myself or give away / sell.

Update: I can't post photos due to forum rules. Basically the certificate states that government fees are not included and must be paid with a credit card.
I can’t answer your question, but I would bet the Ellen Show has assigned a value which could be reported to the IRS as taxable income. I would check on this before making a decision.
As far as what the certificates are worth to you, I’d check the rates online for the routes of most interest during peak travel times. If you’re interested in dates that have yet to be released, try posting that info for experienced JetBlue flyers to chime in.
As a data point, my husband & I had a nice JetBlue Mint red eye flight from SEA to BOS for a little under $1K total on Monday night/Tues morning. Service was top notch. We unfortunately got caught in a delay caused by the Sabre system going down. We then had 2 medical emergencies while still at the gate, one of which required evacuating a woman. We arrived in BOS about 2 hours late. Crew was top notch and handled the issues very professionally.
Jane
Jane
PS Nice win!
Old Jun 3, 2019, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by cinamann

Be aware of your Federal (and State and local, if applicable) income tax liability before deciding what to do with your certificates.

​​For roundtrip travel within the Continental U.S., government fees should be $11.20 per passenger. For travel to foreign destinations, government fees will be higher.

Last edited by guv1976; Jun 19, 2019 at 2:30 pm
Old Jun 19, 2019, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold, National Executive, Hertz Presidents Circle
I had 2 JB certificates as well. I used them to travel from FLL - NAS. Because this was an international trip, I had to cover all of the taxes for both tickets but it covered the base price of the fare. I did have difficulty using them as I tried to book a flight to NYC around the holidays last year and they told me I was unable to. The person on the phone told me the best advice for using the certificates is to book them for a trip that is far out as they only reserve a certain number of seats on each plane for discounted type tickets (certificates included).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.